QM2 Bringing wine on board

bluemeadow

Although Cunard do offer wine packages on every cruise/voyage, it's only occasionally that you'll find a full drinks package, and these are usually available on certain promotions that only come up from time to time.

These drinks packages that we hear about on other cruise companies are not all what they are made out to be . For example, on Celebrity the spirits, wine and cocktails that are available in these drinks packages are not premium quality . eg; their cocktails are poles apart from those that are available in the Commodore bar. More often than not they are 'ready made from a carton' with a splash of poor quality spirits ! No wonder some folk on Celebrity are knocking them back ( one after another) like lemonade.

These drinks packages that we hear about on other cruise companies are not all what they are made out to be . For example, on Celebrity the spirits, wine and cocktails that are available in these drinks packages are not premium quality . eg; their cocktails are poles apart from those that are available in the Commodore bar. More often than not they are 'ready made from a carton' with a splash of poor quality spirits ! No wonder some folk on Celebrity are knocking them back ( one after another) like lemonade.

Perhaps you are cruising with the wrong companies which do drinks packages.

The cocktails served by Costa in their drinks packages are superb - all hand made with premium spirits. There is no way you can knock those back like lemonade (apart from the virgin Mojitos which I favour during the day).

Although Cunard do offer wine packages on every cruise/voyage, it's only occasionally that you'll find a full drinks package, and these are usually available on certain promotions that only come up from time to time.

I have to disagree with your description of the beverage packages on Celebrity. The World Class bar offers top range liquor in the bespoke cocktails offered that are covered by the package, the Martini and Crush bars serve martinis and cocktails using specific branded liquor and I’ve never had an issue ordering my favourite gin, no different than what I paid dearly for in the Commodore bar.

Certainly no complaints about the quality of offerings on Oceania's packages, either... it's as top end as you could want both the wines in the dining room and also spirits in the bars etc. Mind you, at $60 per person per day, it's not cheaper either but includes the service charge.

The only complaint we had about it, especially evident on our most recent Oceania cruise, was that we felt we didn't get the same attentive service in some of the bars that "cash" passengers got. Indeed, it was evident enough that we complained to the Beverage Manager about it. We were assured for example that the stewards still get the 15% tip even when you used the card. One would hope so but we were made to feel they really didn't like you using the package. On deck, it was another story and I enjoyed having a real "enabler" in a Mexican steward who served up an impromptu margarita tasting session with all of their different tequilas. I got my full $60 value in one go. This was around noon and the rest of the day, as they say, passed without notice.

Having sailed Celebrity a few times I have never seen any drinks from a carton. The premium package includes the branded spirits.

We don’t drink more with a package, it’s just useful to pay upfront.

Having sailed Celebrity a few times I have never seen any drinks from a carton. The premium package includes the branded spirits.

Ditto; in five Celebrity cruises, I've never seen "cartonised" cocktails.

Stuart

Having been in the F&B service industry for well over 40 years (before I retired) I guess I'm a little more observant than others . ;)

Ditto; in five Celebrity cruises, I've never seen "cartonised" cocktails.

Stuart

Of course you wouldn't, those ready mixed ingredients are poured from a jug ! ;) ( well known in the industry) I agree, a measure of spirit is added separate .

Hi

Interesting discussion. I would like to know how fellow passengers would even know if you were carrying your glass of wine from one of the lounges such as the Chart Room or Commodore Club OR from your cabin. After 27 voyages on the Queen Mary 2 alone, I do not get the impression the other passengers notice or care. Ditto for the crew. Of course, I am not a mind reader and perhaps they are fuming inside over this issue.

Also, although I rarely do, I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking an unfinished glass of wine or a cocktail to the dining room from one of the parties held in the Queens Room. Why let it go to waste?? And who would notice or care?

I can also report that there has never been an instance where any of my table companions over the years have ever talked about it. And I sit at tables for 8. Usually #56 or #222. It is also my impression that few passengers even bother to bring their own wine onto the ship to drink. (At least not in the dining room.) And also, I become friendly with the wine stewards and NOT ONE has ever complained about the system. So there you have it. Just my view. I really do not think this is a very important issue all things considered. I'm more concerned about the inconsiderate slobs/morons who don't bother to wash their hands after using the rest rooms.

BTW, I will be back on board the beautiful Queen Mary 2 on August 3 and then again on September 2 for the fashion week crossing. Feel free to stop by to chat if you are sailing as well. I will buy you a drink!!

Deck Chair.

Unfortunately, we will be getting off in Southampton as you are embarking. I think I would enjoy a visit with you and your common sense approach.

Having been in the F&B service industry for well over 40 years (before I retired) I guess I'm a little more observant than others . ;)

I will look more carefully on my next trip.

• 3 weeks later...

So we are back and yes wine on board no problem. Bottles delivered to restaurant on second night and the sommelier offered to waive the corkage if we booked onto one of the wine tasting events. We did do and it was great! Not sure if this is standard practice but we thought it was a really good thing for him to suggest/offer!

So we are back and yes wine on board no problem. Bottles delivered to restaurant on second night and the sommelier offered to waive the corkage if we booked onto one of the wine tasting events. We did do and it was great! Not sure if this is standard practice but we thought it was a really good thing for him to suggest/offer!

Congratulations! I think you got a very good deal.