Weather for British Isles Cruise

Chart Room Princess

My family is going to book a British Isles cruise in 2019. Cunard is offering one in early June and one in mid-August.

On average which time frame has a chance for better weather in the British Isles?

Where I come from I can say that early June has a higher chance for rain than August.

All help is appreciated.

Impossible to say. Early June this year would have been fantastic, today in August it’s raining. Next year could be the complete reverse! I would concentrate more on the difference between cruising June or August. Early June is outside of the school holiday period in the UK, and so attractions will be less busy and few children around. August is the peak UK holiday period so all tourist attractions will be crowded. I would have thought that the cruise cost might be lower in June as well, if cost is a relevant factor for you.

Britain is an Island and like all islands it has a dry and a rainy side - although not in a prototypical manner like on smaller islands.. Have a look at the climate charts on Wikipedia (at the article for the city). If you are in Fort William it will be most probably rainy, if you are in Edinburgh it will be drier.

Britain is an Island and like all islands it has a dry and a rainy side - although not in a prototypical manner like on smaller islands.. Have a look at the climate charts on Wikipedia (at the article for the city). If you are in Fort William it will be most probably rainy, if you are in Edinburgh it will be drier.

Thanks for the tip on the climate charts, that’s a great idea.

I would be inclined to pick the itinerary that appeals to me the most rather than the time of year. The two voyages we are discussing are voyage V914 (June 4-16, 2019) and voyage V920 (Aug 11-23, 2019).

Both of these itineraries call at Greenock (Glasgow), Liverpool, and St Peter Port.

The June voyage calls at Oban, Kirkwall, Dublin, and Cobh (Cork).

The August voyage calls at Newcastle, Newhaven (Edinburgh), Invergorden (Inverness), and Belfast.

Personally, since I have never been to Oban or Kirkwall, I think I'd pick the first itinerary. But if you haven't been to Edinburgh, that's a pretty big draw for the second itinerary. Perhaps others here can offer suggestions as to which of those two itineraries they would prefer and why, if that would be at all helpful to you.

Edited by bluemarble

Kirkwall is a must visit. Orkney is at its best in June, and a visit to the ancient sites of Maes Howe and Scara Brae will stay with you always.Oban is a bit rough around the edges, but the scenery is wonderful. Dublin is unique, but takes a bit of exploring to find the best bits. I haven’t been to Cork.

Invergorden is rather dull, unless you want to visit the Glenmorangie distillery. Edinburgh is fantastic, and warrants much more than a day visit.

Newcastle is interesting, but maybe not a must see. Belfast is worthwhile, if only for the amazing Titanic museum (book ahead).

For scenery and history, June wins. But August is the Edinburgh festival and the city will be jumping!

I would choose June for both the weather and the itinerary. As has been said the long hours of daylight in Scotland in June makes it worthwhile, though not sure why another comment states Oban is rough around the edges. It has a fabulous position on the west coast and is surrounded by wonderful scenery, well worth a visit.

Edinburgh in August will have a buzz about it because of the festival BUT, will be so busy it detracts from the enjoyment of the visit.

Also, they will bring out the pipe band to play you off when you leave Greenock and, from the cheers one hears from the ship it always seems to be appreciated.

If you have looked at the recent weather patterns over the past few years, there is no answer. I agree with the suggestions to go with the itinerary you prefer.

The itinerary is the deal maker in my opinion too. Edinburgh New Haven is ideal for visiting the Royal Yacht at Leith. Newcastle is good for learning a new language.

Lol John

• 4 weeks later...