military discount alert

39august

Hi,

we have never been asked to show proof of military service but when asked for ID at check in DH will use his military ID that was issued when he signed up for services.

A friend carries a laminated miniature of his DD214. I may have to dig mine up and do the same in case any serious discounts come up.

I believe you have to have served at least 4 years with an honorable discharge. You do not have to be active nor retired. My husband served 4 years in the 60's and we have always gotten military discounts from all the cruise lines we have sailed on.

I believe you have to have served at least 4 years with an honorable discharge. You do not have to be active nor retired. My husband served 4 years in the 60's and we have always gotten military discounts from all the cruise lines we have sailed on.

Thanks for the information. I have never considered myself as a veteran since my service was so short. Maybe they should have believed my orthopedist that two open knee ops and a completely factured femur is 4 year period did indeed so enough damage to keep me from ever completing basic training. Instead I had to enlist in the reserves, get an MOS that required me to wait at least 6-8 months for an AIT slot, go so summer camp for two weeks and blow out my knee again....and then have 2 or 3 more physicals before they finally cut me loose. Strange times in the late 60s. They even tried to draft me twice, once while I was in the hospital with my leg in traction and once 4 months after I was discharged because they "knew" I was not going to reserve meetings. I had to visit the draft board with my Honorable Discharge in hand..Anyway, to those who have served and protected, thank you.

Several cruise lines require submission of the DD214 prior to granting a "military discount" or OBC. Once confirmed by the DD214, all future reservations receive OBC.

Six years ago when checking latest cabin options two weeks befor a cruise I was surprised to find a "military discount" on a suite on a Royal Caribbean ship, lowering the price to less than the balcony cabin we had booked via a TA. Obviously, jumped on the offer; and it was great!

"Thank you for your service" is disingenuous. I served in uniform for 30 years and find the constant "thank you" disrespectful and a legacy from the invasion of Iraq. If really "thankful" do something for those currently servicing, like donations to a real fund supporting service members and families.

"Veterans" do not usually qualify for discounts which are usually limited to retirees and active duty.

Your first sentence makes you sound like an ungrateful jerk. I served for 28 years in the US Armed forces, including 2 combat tours (Iraq and Afghanistan) and I truly appreciate it when someone thanks me for my service.

Your second paragraph is not accurate. Many discounts (in the US) are offered to the generic group "Veterans"

Your first sentence makes you sound like an ungrateful jerk. I served for 28 years in the US Armed forces, including 2 combat tours (Iraq and Afghanistan) and I truly appreciate it when someone thanks me for my service.

Your second paragraph is not accurate. Many discounts (in the US) are offered to the generic group "Veterans"

I served for 30 years in uniform and another 12 as a senior civilian. No one needs to "thank me" for my service to country. It was my pleasure and even my responsibility. The term appears to have originated with the start of OIF and used by those who did not/have not served in uniform, "thanking" others for what they would not do themselves.

Most businesses and restaurants in the US providing discounts, and there are many, require some form of ID showing either current service or retired from service. Some places I can show my retired ID card, others require certification by DD214. Very few offer actual discounts to anyone who served for a short period of time.

Thank you for your service.

I never heard of this before. two quick questions. I leave September 1, 2018 for cruise I guess i am out of luck there Can i use my veterans affairs ID ? I like being thanked but it would have been better in 69 when I got home.

I never heard of this before. two quick questions. I leave September 1, 2018 for cruise I guess i am out of luck there Can i use my veterans affairs ID ? I like being thanked but it would have been better in 69 when I got home.

My experiences have been the military discount has always been applied during the bookings. IMO our VA ID wouldn't be acceptable. Prior to booking your next Celebrity cruise ask about the VA ID. Never hurts to ask. "Welcome home brother".

Edited by davekathy

I found this on the Celebrity website after searching on "Military": *Military Savings Offer applies to select 4-night and longer sailings departing before April 30, 2020. At least one guest in the stateroom must be an active or retired member of the United States or Canada Military. A valid U.S. or Canadian military ID must be presented at the pier to validate eligibility. If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the current standard cruise fare or otherwise be denied boarding.

As an honorably discharged veteran, I have received the Military Discount on Royal Caribbean. I have never booked a cruise on Celebrity that had an Military Discount offered.

And not to belabor the point but as a female Vietnam War Era veteran, I appreciate the "thank you for your service", since heaven knows I never heard that while on active duty or afterwards.

I found this on the Celebrity website after searching on "Military": *Military Savings Offer applies to select 4-night and longer sailings departing before April 30, 2020. At least one guest in the stateroom must be an active or retired member of the United States or Canada Military. A valid U.S. or Canadian military ID must be presented at the pier to validate eligibility. If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the current standard cruise fare or otherwise be denied boarding.

As an honorably discharged veteran, I have received the Military Discount on Royal Caribbean. I have never booked a cruise on Celebrity that had an Military Discount offered.

And not to belabor the point but as a female Vietnam War Era veteran, I appreciate the"thank you for your service", since heaven knows I never heard that while on active duty or afterwards.

...and "welcome home". Always ask even if the discount isn't published. I advise the booking agent I'm a Veteran but not a retired Veteran. Never any issue receiving the discount and usually receive a "thank you for your service" comment.

Edited by davekathy

Thanks for the follow up cltnccruisers. Personally I would never ask for a discount and when we are in public places and they ask that all veterans stand to be honored I stay seated. I have never considered my brief time in the reserves to qualify me for anything.

Could be but that's enough for me. I'm one who thinks everyone should serve in some capacity without thought for reward.

No matter if it's a Veteran or senior citizen discount, I appreciate the thought. I will

continue to welcome home and thank all my brothers and sisters who have served. I've expressed my opinions enough so now I'll stand down. Peace.

Edited by davekathy

When one joins the military in whatever country we owe allegiance it is not done with the thought that one day a member of the public will come up to you and say thank you for your service. For many years we were reviled for our military service to our respective countries. One only has to think back to the Vietnam war where servicemen were spat at. I say servicemen because back then women were few and far between on the front line and no disrespect is intended. I remember having to arrive home in my own country in the dead of night, changing into civilian clothes and being taken out of a military base in a closed van to avoid protestors. Thankfully things have changed and I feel proud and humble when at an ANZAC Day / Memorial Day service the younger generation come up and say thank you.

What does concern me is the lack of empathy and assistance given to our brothers and sisters who come home broken from conflicts large and small that they were sent away to , to resolve. The politician is quick to stand on the steps of the legislature and spout off how great it is that young men and women are going away to resolve a conflict , often of their makin, by force yet are absent went they are carried off the plane when they come home.

I am not too proud as a senior and a veteran to ask if a supplier offers a senior or veteran's discount for a product. They can say no and we move on or they can say yes and I keep a little extra in my pocket.

I am pleased to see in this enlightened world that military are not the only ones being recognised but police , firefighters and other walks of life are also being recognised for their service.

At the outset we didn't go looking for thanks or glory but when it and if it comes it is really appreciated

Lest we forget

When one joins the military in whatever country we owe allegiance it is not done with the thought that one day a member of the public will come up to you and say thank you for your service. For many years we were reviled for our military service to our respective countries. One only has to think back to the Vietnam war where servicemen were spat at. I say servicemen because back then women were few and far between on the front line and no disrespect is intended. I remember having to arrive home in my own country in the dead of night, changing into civilian clothes and being taken out of a military base in a closed van to avoid protestors. Thankfully things have changed and I feel proud and humble when at an ANZAC Day / Memorial Day service the younger generation come up and say thank you.

What does concern me is the lack of empathy and assistance given to our brothers and sisters who come home broken from conflicts large and small that they were sent away to , to resolve. The politician is quick to stand on the steps of the legislature and spout off how great it is that young men and women are going away to resolve a conflict , often of their makin, by force yet are absent went they are carried off the plane when they come home.

I am not too proud as a senior and a veteran to ask if a supplier offers a senior or veteran's discount for a product. They can say no and we move on or they can say yes and I keep a little extra in my pocket.

I am pleased to see in this enlightened world that military are not the only ones being recognised but police , firefighters and other walks of life are also being recognised for their service.

At the outset we didn't go looking for thanks or glory but when it and if it comes it is really appreciated

Lest we forget

Sounds like you are posting from the USA instead of New Zealand...

The American Way of War is a book by Andrew Bacevich which discusses these issues. Bacevich is a West Pointer, Vietnam veteran, PhD professor of international relations, and who had a son killed in Iraq.

"Cheap grace," wrote Dietrich Bonhoeffer in the 1930s, "is the grace we bestow on ourselves" unearned, granting redemption without repentance. Cheap grace also describes the present-day American way of war, which asks of citizens merely that they "support the troops" without actually accepting risk or making sacrifices. The consequences of this approach are profound and entirely pernicious. In addition to embroiling the nation in protracted conflicts that U.S. forces can't win, it eviscerates the concept of citizenship and further hollows out American democracy.

The thesis centers on American public apathy towards the military except when the military provides a safe way to express "patriotism" (faux patriotism) without having to serve country or support those that do: large flags at sporting event, flyovers by aircraft, etc. Its really the combined (in the US) end of the draft in 1973 and Bush 43 telling Americans to not get involved in a response to 9/11, that "the government" will handle it. In essence, further separating the public from anything to do with the country. Thus, the over used "thank you for your service" was born and proliferated by those who would never even consider giving something back to their country for all the country has dome for them. Today, in the US, less than 2 percent of the population has a family member or knows someone who is serving in uniform.

Just FYI, I served for 30 years in uniform, served as a professor at the US National War College, and full endorse Bacevich's position.