QM2 Bringing wine on board

bluemeadow

There are no recent posts regarding the enforcement of the 1 bottle per person policy on the QM2. Is this policy enforced or could we bring 3-4 bottles each on board without question? Considering one in hand luggage and 3 in case so we have the wine we want. Sail Friday, very excited.

we are also on this t/a on friday, our neice and her friend are coming with us and they are bringing some wine to drink onboard. not sure if there is a limit but I think as long as its not excessive it will be ok. (I say excessive because what I would call excessive and what my neice would call excessive differs considerably!!!)

Cunard Line treat their guest's like responsible adults. I've never known them to limit the amount of alcohol taken onboard, however, having said that, common sense should prevail, please don't spoil it for the rest of us.;)

I hear P&O are starting to get strict on the amount taken onboard ( I've never sailed P&O) however, according to my neighbours 'brother' (on his stag do) he says he was cautioned but in the end was allowed to take his stash onboard . Goodness knows how many crates he had .:confused:

Cunard Line treat their guest's like responsible adults. I've never known them to limit the amount of alcohol taken onboard, however, having said that, common sense should prevail, please don't spoil it for the rest of us.;)

I hear P&O are starting to get strict on the amount taken onboard ( I've never sailed P&O) however, according to my neighbours 'brother' (on his stag do) he says he was cautioned but in the end was allowed to take his stash onboard . Goodness knows how many crates he had .:confused:

They confiscated all of my stags alcohol (only a bottle per stag) on the trip to Amsterdam last June on P & O. I wasn’t to keen on this and walked out of the “surrender your booze” queue. Happy to report boarded the boat with no repercussions. Absolutely ridiculous when we are responsible men in our 30’s and 40’s not 18 year olds!

I did the entire world cruise on the QM2 this year and at one port in Australia our group toured a winery an we all re-boarded the ship with cartons of wine in each hand that contained 4 bottles per carton. At other ports I bought wine ashore and security never questioned it. I asked my room steward to stock my room with wine glasses.

In another port our group went rum tasting and again our purchases breezed thru security.

Enjoy your cruise and your libations!

Hello

Over the last two years (on crossings) I have brought several (4) bottles of wine on the ship with no problem. I turn them over to the wine steward in my section of the dining room who takes care of them during the voyage. The $20 corkage fee per bottle applies plus an additional tip for his efforts. If I am on a long voyage, I replenish the bottles along the way during the port calls. I have seen several passengers entering the dining room with a glass of wind in hand. No problem. Enjoy your time on the ship.

Deck Chair

Walking into the dining room with a glass of wine purchased in a bar and not finished is a lot different than taking one from your cabin from a bottle of wine purchased ashore and Cunard would not be very happy. This use to happen a lot on P&O where they took their own drinks either carried onboard at embarkation or purchased ashore at ports for cabin use only but were taking them to bars. They have just introduced a new rule where you are only allowed to take 1litre of wine per person on embarkation and any purchased during cruise will be taken off you and stored and returned to you at end of cruise. So beware Cunard/P&O are one as regards to head office in Southampton so if it is abused Cunard could be next with new rules.

Can you walk into dinner carrying a glass bought from your cabin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Common courtesy on Cunard ships means the staff would not stop you, but most of us regular passengers would think it inappropriate given the formal ambience of the dining room. As another poster says, we all have to be careful not to take advantage of Cunard's currently very generous policy on bringing alcohol on board.

Common courtesy on Cunard ships means the staff would not stop you, but most of us regular passengers would think it inappropriate given the formal ambience of the dining room. As another poster says, we all have to be careful not to take advantage of Cunard's currently very generous policy on bringing alcohol on board.

Agree, couldn't have said it any better. Let's be honest, it's a bit Naff walking along the corridor from your Stateroom, hanging around for an elevator, standing in the elevator whilst other guest's give you looks ( I certainly would ) then sauntering along to the restaurant negotiating other guests and all the tables .

All that just to save a dollar or two. :eek:

Agree, couldn't have said it any better. Let's be honest, it's a bit Naff walking along the corridor from your Stateroom, hanging around for an elevator, standing in the elevator whilst other guest's give you looks ( I certainly would ) then sauntering along to the restaurant negotiating other guests and all the tables .

All that just to save a dollar or two. :eek:

I agree entirely...……..you may save .01% of the cost of your holiday each time you do it !!!!!!!

They consider it is class and looking so Cunard, also thinking no waitstaff or guests will even notice.

Wrong on so many levels

Hopefully, the room pourers will now think again.

Note to the "carriers" from the welcome back and officer's gatherings. Please leave the unfinished freebies behind.

Unfinished drinks from the bar, are carried to the dining table by waitstaff, if really required.

Carriers kindly end trying to dumb down Cunard.

Agreed - please don't spoil it. Dining and the table companions one meets on a Cunard ship is a lovely experience, and one of the reasons we keep returning.

Last year, a couple at our table were doing it, and were very pleased with themselves for fooling Cunard. Our wine waiter wasn't fooled - he mentioned to the Maitre'D that it appeared some cabin glasses had been mixed up with the restaurant and bar stock!

Etiquette is not about being 'posh', but about respecting other people, and providing easy rules for us all to abide by - wherever we're from.

So please, if you want to consume your own drink, don't embarrass your fellow guests and wait staff - bring the whole bottle and pay the $20 corkage.

Agreed - please don't spoil it. Dining and the table companions one meets on a Cunard ship is a lovely experience, and one of the reasons we keep returning.

Last year, a couple at our table were doing it, and were very pleased with themselves for fooling Cunard. Our wine waiter wasn't fooled - he mentioned to the Maitre'D that it appeared some cabin glasses had been mixed up with the restaurant and bar stock!

Etiquette is not about being 'posh', but about respecting other people, and providing easy rules for us all to abide by - wherever we're from.

So please, if you want to consume your own drink, don't embarrass your fellow guests and wait staff - bring the whole bottle and pay the $20 corkage.

Hear hear.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi

Interesting discussion. I would like to know how fellow passengers would even know if you were carrying your glass of wine from one of the lounges such as the Chart Room or Commodore Club OR from your cabin. After 27 voyages on the Queen Mary 2 alone, I do not get the impression the other passengers notice or care. Ditto for the crew. Of course, I am not a mind reader and perhaps they are fuming inside over this issue.

Also, although I rarely do, I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking an unfinished glass of wine or a cocktail to the dining room from one of the parties held in the Queens Room. Why let it go to waste?? And who would notice or care?

I can also report that there has never been an instance where any of my table companions over the years have ever talked about it. And I sit at tables for 8. Usually #56 or #222. It is also my impression that few passengers even bother to bring their own wine onto the ship to drink. (At least not in the dining room.) And also, I become friendly with the wine stewards and NOT ONE has ever complained about the system. So there you have it. Just my view. I really do not think this is a very important issue all things considered. I'm more concerned about the inconsiderate slobs/morons who don't bother to wash their hands after using the rest rooms.

BTW, I will be back on board the beautiful Queen Mary 2 on August 3 and then again on September 2 for the fashion week crossing. Feel free to stop by to chat if you are sailing as well. I will buy you a drink!!

Deck Chair.

Edited by deck chair

Interesting discussion. I would like to know how fellow passengers would even know if you were carrying your glass of wine from one of the lounges such as the Chart Room or Commodore Club OR from your cabin.

As mentioned, the glasses provided in the room are of a different size and quality from those used in the lounges.

Hello

The busy beverage staff may know but do they care? Very unlikely. I have become friendly with several of the crew members. This is what they care about:

1. Rude passengers who don't know how to say please and thank you.

2. Demanding passengers who treat them like servants and show little respect.

3. Passengers who remove the automatic gratuities on the last day and slither off the ship failing to tip the crew never caring how hard they work.. (And I am not going to engage in new arguments over tipping.)

4. Being away from their loved ones for long periods of time.

You will note I have never ever heard any of the crew complain about the VERY few passengers who bring their glasses of their own wine into the lounges or dining rooms. This is a non-issue to them.

Forget about glasses. You are on sailing on the greatest ship on the planet. Please just enjoy being on the ship and all she offers. Enjoy being on the beautiful ocean. Enjoy the sunsets. Enjoy all the new people from all over the world you get to meet. Enjoy all the live music on the ship. Enjoy just being alive! Or worry about glasses. Your choice.

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair

Hi

Interesting discussion. I would like to know how fellow passengers would even know if you were carrying your glass of wine from one of the lounges such as the Chart Room or Commodore Club OR from your cabin. After 27 voyages on the Queen Mary 2 alone, I do not get the impression the other passengers notice or care. Ditto for the crew. Of course, I am not a mind reader and perhaps they are fuming inside over this issue.

Also, although I rarely do, I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking an unfinished glass of wine or a cocktail to the dining room from one of the parties held in the Queens Room. Why let it go to waste?? And who would notice or care?

I can also report that there has never been an instance where any of my table companions over the years have ever talked about it. And I sit at tables for 8. Usually #56 or #222. It is also my impression that few passengers even bother to bring their own wine onto the ship to drink. (At least not in the dining room.) And also, I become friendly with the wine stewards and NOT ONE has ever complained about the system. So there you have it. Just my view. I really do not think this is a very important issue all things considered. I'm more concerned about the inconsiderate slobs/morons who don't bother to wash their hands after using the rest rooms.

BTW, I will be back on board the beautiful Queen Mary 2 on August 3 and then again on September 2 for the fashion week crossing. Feel free to stop by to chat if you are sailing as well. I will buy you a drink!!

Deck Chair.

I too will be on the Fashion Week crossing ....I'll look out for you . ;)

I cannot believe all the trials and tribulations people are going through just to have a glass of water or a glass of wine onboard. These problems never occurred to me. I keep a couple of glasses filled with tap water in my fridge and have a bottle of wine ordered with dinner poured at dinner. The bars provide the extra libations.

We've never had a problem bringing wine on board Cunard, either at embarkation or at a port. We drink in our stateroom, or pay the corkage fee in the restaurant. One of Cunard's most flexible & welcome features. Cheers!

We intend to bring wine onboard, enough to drink in our cabin and take a bottle down to dinner ( paying corkage).

I would love Cunard to sell/ include a drinks package, we like the ease of drinking what we like without worrying about a large bar bill at the end. We aren’t made of money and paying upfront helps.