Freighter and Other Non-Traditional Cruise Travel

Share your interest & experiences in Freighter Cruises and other unusual forms of leisure passenger ship travel
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:19 AM.
Brantford, ON
2,059 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Wife and I are interested in something closer to home, perhaps a Great Lakes or Muskoka Lakes cruise in the summer. However after having a brief look at some of the links in other discussions, perhaps I am missing something. I found a cruise that sounds nice, but is over US $4900 for the cheapest cabin on a 7 day Toronto to Chicago?

I know there are economies of scale involved when comparing to a mainline cruise ship, but that seems excessive. Or are there cheaper cruises? I mean really we'd be happy with meals, a sun deck and a cruise ship sized room.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11-11-2017 "Baby's First Cruise" Bahamas - Anthem of the Seas
8-19-2016 Family Alaska cruise - Explorer of the Seas
12-24-2015 "Christmas at sea" - Independence of the Seas
8-21-2015 "The Eastern Caribbean that wasn't" - Oasis of the Seas
8-25-2014 Bahamas - Enchantment of the Seas
5-4-2014 Mexico - Navigator of the Seas
12-26-2013 Cozumel - Brilliance of the Seas
8-7-2013 British Isles - Vision of the Seas
3-10-2013 Caribbean (Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Labadee) - Independence of the Seas
8-16-2012 Bermuda/Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas
1-2-2012 Bahamas - Monarch of the Seas
8-19-2011 Alaska - Rhapsody of the Seas
3-10-2008 Bahamas - Sovereign of the Seas
10-23-2006 Eastern Caribbean - Enchantment of the Seas
In the kamloops in the dry and hottest part of BC
12,827 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Originally posted by TBone2K
Wife and I are interested in something closer to home, perhaps a Great Lakes or Muskoka Lakes cruise in the summer. However after having a brief look at some of the links in other discussions, perhaps I am missing something. I found a cruise that sounds nice, but is over US $4900 for the cheapest cabin on a 7 day Toronto to Chicago?

I know there are economies of scale involved when comparing to a mainline cruise ship, but that seems excessive. Or are there cheaper cruises? I mean really we'd be happy with meals, a sun deck and a cruise ship sized room.
No the cost isn't excessive. The company has to pay US rates and confirm to US laws . Compare the price to the Pride of America in Hawaii . They are under the same rules.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Future

GTA, Ontario, Canada
37,272 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
the cabins are not regular cruise ship sizes either
Maybe look at American Queen steamboat cruises the cabins are a bit larger than the boats that sail the Great lakes
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

FORMER CRUISES:
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam- Eurodam (2), Royal Epirotiki-Olympic, Orient lines-Marco Polo, NCL-Dream, Princess - Dawn Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress, Scenic Tours -Scenic Sapphire, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(6) Marina(3) Riviera (2) AQSC-American Queen

Email:LHT28 at yahoo.com

Put Cruise in subject line

PHOTOS:
http://lht28.smugmug.com/