Camera advice

rabin1

A heads up for those buying the new "electronic" cameras rather than a Single Lens Reflex, your zoom is running on the internal batteries and consumes a lot of power. Had one for our first Panama Canal crossing and had to change the battery 3 times during the day because of the large power drain from the zoom. Went to Nikon SLR and bought a second battery that I almost never need. Battery works all day and several days later because the zoom is manual.

Just something else to consider

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 'super-zoom' camera with 25-600mm Leica zoom lens. I bought a second battery, but I can always go at least 2 days on one charge so the spare sits in the cabin getting ready for a future need. The only limitation on these cameras is the 1/2.3" sensor, which means I can't make 16x20 enlargements [which I have never done anyway...] Even at full-screen view there is plenty of detail, and as noted plenty of battery power. The camera with its 24x zoom lens weighs less than your SLR body only, so it fits the definition of the best camera: 'the one you actually carry with you.'

so it fits the definition of the best camera: 'the one you actually carry with you.'

But it weighs almost twice as much as that other Panny and I'd defy you to carry it in your pocket.

Horses and courses but go back to what the OP was wanting when she started this thread.

Tony

Fresh back from 15 days on the Journey with my Ricoh in my pocket and some brilliant shots.

The TZ100 only weighs 310gms, and fits in a pocket.

A recent review

‘’Other cameras with 1in sensors and big zooms include the Panasonic FZ1000 and Sony RX10 II, but these weigh over 800g and aren't remotely pocket-sized. The TZ100 weighs 310g and measures 48mm thick, which isn't tiny but it's just about small enough to fit into most pockets and go unnoticed in even the smallest of bags.’’

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

so it fits the definition of the best camera: 'the one you actually carry with you.'

But it weighs almost twice as much as that other Panny and I'd defy you to carry it in your pocket.

Horses and courses but go back to what the OP was wanting when she started this thread.

Tony

Fresh back from 15 days on the Journey with my Ricoh in my pocket and some brilliant shots.

Just wanted to point out what you lose with only 240mm zoom. I use the full 600mm many times, which means I don't have to crop in editing so my 2/3 sensor is then just as good as a 1"