Wayne Gray Tours Tobago

Cruisin4evr

I have read some great reviews and would like to book with Wayne Gray, but has anyone been on a recent tour? Any review would be appreciated.

I have seen old reviews for Alibaba and Wayne Gray (from Tripadvisor) but would like to see something more current.

Thank you so much.

• 3 months later...

We just returned from our wonderful cruise and I have to say that Tobago was probably one of my favourite stops along with Dominica. As promised, here are my comments about Wayne. Our tour with him was WONDERFUL in every aspect. Wayne is a very knowledgeable guide who can inform you on the history of his country as well as on the flora and fauna that you come across. He is also very respectful and clearly enjoys being a tour guide.

We had specified to him that we are avid birdwatchers who also enjoy hiking in nature. He designed our tour respecting those parameters and all I can say is WOW! He really knows the birds of his island inside and out and can mimique most of their calls. He was also very quick at spotting and pointing them to us. He took us to places off the beaten path to see a variety of species. He also took us to a place where there are feeders for hummingbirds and we were able to see five different species of those marvellous little creatures. They were so close we could almost touch them! For lunch, he took us to a quiet beach used by some locals and gave us a bit of time to enjoy the sea. We had asked to eat a typical tobagan meal so he had a lady at the beach prepare a fish dish for us that couldn't have been more typical. The fish had just been caught that morning so it was very fresh. We then went on to hike in the rainforest for about one hour. Again, he was very good at pointing and identifying species of plants, insects and birds. We then drove back to Scarborough following the Altantic coastline. He stopped whenever he saw that I wanted to take a picture. We finished our tour at the fort overlooking the city to get a nice view of the surroundings and of our ship in port. He then drove us back to our ship.

We were thoroughly pleased with our experience with him and this was a wonderful day. I can recommand Wayne with no reservations whatsoever. If you are not into birdwatching, I also know that he can do a standard island tour. He has also studied marine biology which makes him an interesting guide for snorkeling, I am sure. The fact that he will only take 2 or 3 people at a time makes for a personalized experience and he will follow your lead as to what you want to see.

If you need more information, let me know.

Line

Sounds like a great tour! Thanks for reporting back.

May I ask how much? I found his website and saw the prices posted there, but yours was more personalized.

The price he quoted me was 90$ per person, so it was 180$ for the two of us. He picked us up at the pier at 8:15 and dropped us off at 3:30. The only extra charge we had was an admittance fee for the hummingbird place since they asked for 5$ if you wanted to do photography there. We thought this was fair since they do have to pay for the maintenance and contents of all those feeders.

Very reasonable and well worth it from what you reported. Thank you and thanks again for posting about your experience with Wayne and your day in Tobago. We are trying to decide what to do when we are there in April (with Rauld and partybarbie) and your post was very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
Very reasonable and well worth it from what you reported. Thank you and thanks again for posting about your experience with Wayne and your day in Tobago. We are trying to decide what to do when we are there in April (with Rauld and partybarbie) and your post was very helpful.

No problem, if you need any other information, let me know!

We toured with Wayne Gray in January 2010 also and we also recommend him highly. I confirm everything that Linel described; we had a similar type of tour. Our fee was $85 pp (for 4 persons) and included lunch. Wayne will customize your day anyway you like. He only takes one small group a day himself, but he has other drivers working with him. I reached him through his website or email at waynegray23@hotmail.com

• 2 months later...

We intended to tour with Wayne in February 2010, however everything didn't work out as we had planned.

From the great reviews here, I expected us to have a great day with Wayne, but unfortunately the plan was different.

I had contacted Wayne well in advance and he replied that he had already 2 persons booked for that day and that these two persons are returners, but we would be more than welcome to join them on the tour. I told him, that it was our first time on the island so we wanted to have a complete island tour, as of course the interest of somebody, who had already been to Tobago before might be different. He assured us that we would have a full package island tour with him and the other 2 persons. The price he quoted was 95 Dollars per person, which is quite a lot compared to other tours on other islands.

So far so good, we thought.

On the day of our arrival we met Wayne at the port an he told us that he had a different plan for us, as his returner guests would like to have a special programm with him, he organised a driver for us, who would do the island tour with us. As we were kind of surprised and he had not really offered a choice for us, everything was decided very quickly and we were sitting in a normal taxi with a normal taxi driver who was our guide for that day.

His English was very, very difficult to understand... we normally really don't have any problems in understanding English, but this was really hardly understandable.

Concerning the tour, it was ok, but we were really sitting in the car for too long. We drove all over the island and at the end of the day it just felt that we spend too much time in the car somehow...

The lunch we had was nice though and the visit to the waterfall was also very nice.

All in all I found that the price we paid was way too high and that it was not really something special. I think we could have got the same by taking a taxi in the port for a lower price.

When we returned home, I found that Wayne had emailed me the day before our arrival and was asking if we had been to Tobago before....

All in all this really bothered me as all the clarification I had done with him a few weeks before was for nothing and this email showed he was not organised very well... and honestly, if you know your guests are on a cruise, you can not expect them to answer an email you send them the day before their arrival...

After this experience I would not book with him again. When I decide to book a tour with somebody and pay a relatively high price, I expect something more reliable.

I can only recommend make sure you get your tour directly with him, because as a guide himself he seems to be very good, reflecting all the good reviews he has been getting here.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hopefully someone has some recent info concerning Wayne Gray tours.

What type of vehicle does he use?

How many passengers can he take on a tour?

Which sites not to miss in Tobago?

Tour Price...does the per person price go down with more people in the group?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share with us concerning Wayne Gray and his Tabago Tours.

Pat :)

Hopefully someone has some recent info concerning Wayne Gray tours.

What type of vehicle does he use?

How many passengers can he take on a tour?

Which sites not to miss in Tobago?

Tour Price...does the per person price go down with more people in the group?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share with us concerning Wayne Gray and his Tabago Tours.

We had booked a "private tour for 2" Island tour with Wayne Gray back in June/10 for this coming Feb/11... which now has grown into a Roll Call tour. :D :cool:

I'm still hoping to hear some "recent" information on what to expect on this tour.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share with us.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I spent 10 days in a condo at birdies nest. We loved it and will go back.

Use this site for everything Tobago http://www.mytobago.info/ I wish all island's had a independent had a site like this!!

If you want birds and nature head to spreyside at far end. A long drive but well worth it. Ian Flemming home is there and there is bird and nature persevere on a island you take glass bottom boat to get there. We dove with Undersea Tobago they are part of Coco Reef so you get to use the beach also.

http://www.mytobago.info/dive/diving09o.php

It is also the best scuba diving and snorkeling. About a hour.

The best tip I give is hire Marlon and his boat, snorkeling tour. This is the link. Marlon a smart well educated person. He is a native of Tobago and as my wife said not at hard on the eyes. His knowledge and wit will be a joy and he can steer you to the best Tobago has to offer. http://www.cocomotion.net/

Lots of great beaches are free with huts to eat at.

Use this site for everything Tobago http://www.mytobago.info/ I wish all island had a site like this!!!

If you want to eat in in crown point try Kariwak, some of the best food you find. Walking around you must get a double! mmm they so good. The fish pot is also a good local spot.

http://www.mytobago.info/restaurants01.php#Kariwak

Here is how to get around

http://www.mytobago.info/gettingabout.php

Archived