A photo of the ship I crossed the Atlantic on

Freighter and Other Non-Traditional Cruise Travel

Share your interest & experiences in Freighter Cruises and other unusual forms of leisure passenger ship travel
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:06 AM.
Retired US Coast Guard
2,321 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Just thought I would share this photo with you here. I crossed the Atlantic twice back in 1975, I went to Rota, Spain and Naples, Italy and then came back home. The ship was 581' in length, had a beam of 79' and a draft of 27'.

Her she is, the USS Concord.

On my return trip I was on the USS San Diego, a sister ship of the USS Concord.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
See our cruise videos at RVClassB.com Email me at: [email protected]
Upcoming:
NCL Escape Nov 28 2019 (7 days )

Sailed: 98 days underway - on cruise ships
NCL Sun Nov 28 2017 (10 days )
NCL Pearl March 3, 2017 (7 days )
MSC Divina Aug 13, 2016 (7 days)
NCL Pearl Dec, 2015 (11 days)
NCL Pearl Dec 1, 2014 (10 days)
NCL Pearl April 4, 2014 (7 days)
NCL Pearl Dec 1, 2013 (7 days)
Disney Dream February 17 2013 Bahamas (4 days)
NCL Sun October 24 2012 (11 days)
NCL Sun February 18, 2012 (7 days)
NCL Dawn November 2, 2011 Southern Caribbean (11 days)
NCL Sun January 25, 2011 (5 days)
7,439 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by Squid Wood
Just thought I would share this photo with you here. I crossed the Atlantic twice back in 1975, I went to Rota, Spain and Naples, Italy and then came back home. The ship was 581' in length, had a beam of 79' and a draft of 27'.

Her she is, the USS Concord.

On my return trip I was on the USS San Diego, a sister ship of the USS Concord.
I bet there were no stabalizers...can you imagine the comments from many cruisers about that? Nice pictures.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rancher Dave

RCCL Diamond Plus / Celebrity Elite / Princess Elite / NCL / Disney
LOS ANGELES
35 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
haha - that's awesome. I've also cruised courtesy of the US Navy - nine countries in less than a year. Not too shabby! :-) USS Rushmore!
New York
2,350 Posts
Joined May 2010
I'm new to cruising and have never sailed on anything besides a cruise ship. However doing so has whet my appetite to ships and sea life in general. So thanks for sharing the photos. This former land lubber is off to look up info on some of the ships mentioned. Captainmcd I really enjoy your website!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My blog has thousands of photos of recent trips!

Contact Facebook Twitter Instagram Flickr Google+

Interview with Captain Mikael Hilden - NEW -Norwegian Breakaway
Interview with Captain Evans Hoyt - Norwegian Breakaway
Interview with Captain Lars Bergstrom
Interview with Captain Kim Karlsson
Interview with Captain Kenneth Harstrom
Interview with Captain Hakan Svedung

Norwegian Breakaway Waterpark Video

Florida originaly from Plymouth UK.
630 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by Rancher Dave
I bet there were no stabalizers...can you imagine the comments from many cruisers about that? Nice pictures.
Hard as it is to belive, all Military ships come with stabalizers. Not so much for comfort, more for weapon platform stability.

Myself I spent over 20 years sailing the seas with the Royal Navy. Far too much of it in the South Atlantic. If a stab broke down there you sure did know about it.

Here is a link to a stab test aboard a British warship.
They are actually using the stabs to roll the ship, as opposed to keeping it steady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zuND...eature=related
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
22 Years sailing the high seas then the last 18 as a passenger
Albuquerque, NM
1,008 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
never mind
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I came over on the boat, and boy, are my arms tired from rowing!

USNS General Alexander M Patch Bremerhaven to New York City August 1955
Grand Circle Cruise River Harmony Frankfurt to Amsterdam December 2005
Celebrity Mercury Panama Canal Repo San Diego to Baltimore October 2010
Celebrity Century Hawaii to Ensenada March-April 2012
Celebrity Solstice Vancouver to Alaska to Seattle May 2014
Celebrity Silhouette FLL to Cozumel January 2017
Celebrity Summit FLL to Western Caribbean January 2017

Upcoming: Viking Longship Lofn Basel to Amsterdam April 4-11,2019
Acworth Georgia (NW of Atlanta, Marietta and Kennasaw)
1,262 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
I was on a Post Koreion war eara destroyer (USS Farragut DDG 37) that literally rocked at the pier.. I crossed the Atlantic 4 times on that ship over 18 months and did a 6 month deployment to med and crossed the artic circle. It had 4 1200 psi boilers and2 screws, did over 35 knots and shot a rooster tail at full speed. It had no stablibizers but the weapons were modern for 1987 timeframe except the 5 inch gun on the bow. I glad i was able to spend a tour of duty on that ship.
Florida
20,793 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Nice pick...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
We've been on
Carnival: 27 voyages 184 days
Celebrity: 3 voyages 24 days
Holland: 31 voyages 823 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages 35 days
Vantage:River 2 voyages 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 86 Cruises 1280 days

NOT YET SAILED
Rotterdam Boston to Rotter 7/18 - 19 days
Prinsendam Amster to FTL 8/18 96 days
Zaandam Antarctic 12/18 - 22 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/19 113 days
Nieuw Statadam 8/19 52 days
Koningsdam 10/19 37 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/20 128 days
Florida
339 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Here is the WW2 Destroyer I was on from 1966 to 1968. She's @ the bottom of the sea now.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NCL Epic January 2017
Celebrity Constellation Dec 2015
Vision of the Seas December 2014
Brilliance of the Seas November 2014
Allure of the Seas April 2012
Celebrity Summit February 2011
- February 2012
Liberty of the Seas February 2010
Celebrity Solstice February 2009
Carnival Valor April 2008
Jewel of the Seas February 2008
Carnival Liberty February 2007
Carnival Triumph April 2006
Celebrity Horizon August 2005
Celebrity Century February 2004
- April 2007
Celebrity Millennium April 2003
Celebrity Zenith February 2002
- December 2004
- February 2006
1,181 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
I went to Vietnam on my senior trip in 1968. Was in the Navy, saw 1 ship blow up in Danang, never set foot on any boat. Was in MCB 22 Seabees and went to the DMZ. Thought it quite the nice vacation except the fireworks kept us awake.
Maine
13,084 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by Magnetchief
Hard as it is to belive, all Military ships come with stabalizers. Not so much for comfort, more for weapon platform stability.

Myself I spent over 20 years sailing the seas with the Royal Navy. Far too much of it in the South Atlantic. If a stab broke down there you sure did know about it.

Here is a link to a stab test aboard a British warship.
They are actually using the stabs to roll the ship, as opposed to keeping it steady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zuND...eature=related
I'm not sure about Royal Navy ships, but most US navy ships use the gyro type stabilizers, not the retractable wing stabilizers that cruise ships use. The gyro type is not speed dependent, unlike the wings which lose effectiveness at lower speeds.

I crossed the Atlantic for the first time on the SS Jean Lykes in 1973. This was a 1960's era "stick boat" or breakbulk cargo ship, that had such a low GM that the ship, even in 3-4' seas, would roll onto her beam ends, and hang there for a couple seconds "trying to decide if she wanted to roll back upright".
Missouri City, TX, USA
464 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Originally posted by chengkp75
I'm not sure about Royal Navy ships, but most US navy ships use the gyro type stabilizers, not the retractable wing stabilizers that cruise ships use. The gyro type is not speed dependent, unlike the wings which lose effectiveness at lower speeds.

I crossed the Atlantic for the first time on the SS Jean Lykes in 1973. This was a 1960's era "stick boat" or breakbulk cargo ship, that had such a low GM that the ship, even in 3-4' seas, would roll onto her beam ends, and hang there for a couple seconds "trying to decide if she wanted to roll back upright".
I've sailed on the Jean Lykes and a number of her sister ships and when loaded properly with a GM of 2 or 3 ft. they ride well, but the extremes are not good. I sailed on a victory ship with bombs in the lower holds and fins on 'tween decks, with an 8 ft. GM and it rolled 45 degrees in 7 seconds in rough seas, and on a c-3 where when given a deck load of lumber required ballasting of the double bottoms, which the chief engineer did not do, and the GM went negative in mid ocean, causing the ship to list 10 degrees and nearly capsizing until the chief finally put water into the double bottoms and righted the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Love ships and the sea. Graduated from U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in 1965 and have been sailing since then, currently hold an Unlimited Master's License with the U.S.C.G. with STCW-95 endorsements, also endorsed by Panama, Malta, St.Vincent who now have larger merchant fleets than the United States. I am now semi-retired but work as a relief for Mercy Ships.
Maine
13,084 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by captainmcd
I've sailed on the Jean Lykes and a number of her sister ships and when loaded properly with a GM of 2 or 3 ft. they ride well, but the extremes are not good. I sailed on a victory ship with bombs in the lower holds and fins on 'tween decks, with an 8 ft. GM and it rolled 45 degrees in 7 seconds in rough seas, and on a c-3 where when given a deck load of lumber required ballasting of the double bottoms, which the chief engineer did not do, and the GM went negative in mid ocean, causing the ship to list 10 degrees and nearly capsizing until the chief finally put water into the double bottoms and righted the ship.
Definitely prefer the slow rollers to the snap rollers, but it gets a bit worrying when the ship hangs over there "thinking" about coming back.
Southern USA
89 Posts
Joined May 2010
My first sailing experience was aboard the USS General Mitchell, a troop ship, in 1958 returning from 15 months in Korea. We went from Inchon, Korea to Seattle in 16 days. I was on KP the whole time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Millennium Alaska 2014
Island Princess Panama Canal RT 2013
Crown Princess Caribbean 2013
Island Princess Trans Canal 2010
Caribbean Princess Caribbean 2007
Crown Princess Canada New England 2007
Grand Princess Caribbean 2006
Sun Princess Caribbean 2003
Dawn Princess Caribbean 2003
Crown Princess Panama Canal RT 2000
Crown Princess Alaska 1998
USS General Mitchell Korea to USA 1958
31 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Here’s how I did a Med Cruise in 89-90. Luxury, I tell ya

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy T.

1989 USS Yosemite Med Cruise (Courtesy of U.S. Navy)
2009 Carnival Conquest
2010 Carnival Ecstasy
2011 Carnival Ecstasy
2012 Carnival Triumph
2015 RC Navigator of the Seas
2016 RC Liberty of the Seas

2017 Carnival Valor
2018 RC Liberty Of The Seas

Tarzana (San Fernando Valley), CA
4,971 Posts
Joined May 2000
I love these posts.

My uncle was a Commander in the Coast Guard who had a fascinating career starting with a lot of time on breakers in the Greenland shipping lanes to patrols off of Guantanamo (long before 9/11). He retired after a gig as Commander of the Alameda (Ca.) Coast Card base and bought a house in a small town inland (Yuba City) to see what it would be like.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Walt
(Walt Tuthill)
Cruise Critic Message Board Host

To contact me, [email protected]