Walking from ship to Carneage Harbour?

Martin and Lindsey

We are hoping to walk from the cruise terminal to Carneage Harbour.

Is this going to be possible?

It looks as if it is very hilly around that area.

I would love to hear other's experiences of St George's, in Grenada

Hi Martin and Lindsey, My last cruise in Grenada actually ended up docking in the Carneage. We had docked at the usual cruise terminal but the sea swells were high and the captain moved the ship to the more sheltered Carneage.

From there I easily walked over to where you will be docking. I went over by climbing to the top of the hill and saw the views from Fort George. I highly recommend Fort George as the views are beautiful from up there. I walked back via the Sendall Tunnel. The chocolate factory is a great place to visit on your way to the Carneage via the tunnel. Take the tunnel if you want to avoid the big hill of Fort George. The Carneage is beautiful too with all of the different types of boats and reflections in the water.

I hope you have a very pleasant day in Grenada.

Denise

Hi Martin and Lindsey, My last cruise in Grenada actually ended up docking in the Carneage. We had docked at the usual cruise terminal but the sea swells were high and the captain moved the ship to the more sheltered Carneage.

From there I easily walked over to where you will be docking. I went over by climbing to the top of the hill and saw the views from Fort George. I highly recommend Fort George as the views are beautiful from up there. I walked back via the Sendall Tunnel. The chocolate factory is a great place to visit on your way to the Carneage via the tunnel. Take the tunnel if you want to avoid the big hill of Fort George. The Carneage is beautiful too with all of the different types of boats and reflections in the water.

Denise

Just a quick correction to my initial reply. The chocolate place is not a factory. It is a museum and store. It is very interesting to visit it and it is well run. The ice cream there is very refreshing if you decide to climb up to Fort George.

Denise

Thank you Denise for the usefulinformation. I have added it to the information I am gathering on Grenada. :)

• 1 month later...

We walked from the pier, through the Sundall tunnel and to the Carneage. Fairly flat walk there. Be aware that both pedestrians and cars use the tunnel and no real separation between them. When we were through looking at the fishing boats we walked up hill (away from the port). Very steep going up, then down but a magnificent view.

This assumes you are on the outside dock and not inside the Carnage.

Come out of the cruise liner terminal and turn right heading towards the Sendall Tunnel. Walk through the tunnel keeping to your right hand side as it is open to traffic. Immediately after the tunnel follow the road for about 50yards If you look right you will see the waters of the Carenage.

Link to map of St Georges may help https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Carenage,+St+George's,+Grenada/@12.0494538,-61.75477,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x8c382177a06e5fd1:0x16d9511383bb9467!8m2!3d12.0494538!4d-61.7525813

Have fun :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

We got a water taxi to Grande Anse beach and spent an hour or two there before walking back to St Georges.

The walk back was very nice but was alongside the road - mainly on pavements/sidewalks. It took us to the Carenage where we sat a while enjoying the views with a beer !

We then walked back over the hill back to the port area and had a look around town. We found the walk to be ok and not too strenuous and had plenty of time - we were just here for the afternoon.