Aranui 5 January 13, 2018

Freighter and Other Non-Traditional Cruise Travel

Share your interest & experiences in Freighter Cruises and other unusual forms of leisure passenger ship travel
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:15 AM.
Rotonda West, Florida
210 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Is anybody else booked on this freighter cruise? First time for us on this type of cruise and not quite sure what to expect.
Austin, Texas USA
1,162 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
From wozoo on another thread on this board:

We just returned, 27 Dec. 2015), from the inaugural cruise on the Aranui 5 from Tahiti to French Polynesia ( The Marquesas’). We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves particularly with the beauty of the people, their music and dancing, and the Island scenery. For those who are used to the traditional big box cruise lines then they should not have the same expectations, i.e. Night clubs, shopping malls, theme parks, etc. The Marquesas’ basic contact with outside world are Aranui vessels which transport goods and people between and back and forth among the Islands and one should take note of this and make appropriate allowances.
Our cabin was very comfortable AND air conditioned, as was throughout the interior of the ship, as the climate is very hot and humid. The meals were excellent, 5 stars to the chef and kitchen staff, and if you love seafood then this is the cruise for you (however the kitchen will accommodate you if you wish an alternative, meat, fowl, vegetarian).
Some of my issues were:
• Signage could be improved on, such as arrows for direction, and clear location of muster stations, and layout of the ship on the back of cabin doors,
• better description of each deck, and clear indication of the muster locations
• The video for evacuation, in case of emergency, was a bit confusing, and the life jackets demonstrated appeared to be different than what was on ship
• Cabin numbers (ours was 7205, 7206 across the hall, and the rest of the deck was in the 7300’s, which was confusing at first.
• Life jackets were a bit difficult and confusing to put on
• The phones in our cabin were not hooked up
• Main languages spoken we French and Polynesian (understandable as this is their base) but I feel an increase in English would be an improvement (particularly on the BIG screen tv in our cabin), and many presentations were only in French.
• The sliding glass door to our balcony were heavy and had to be slammed shut to close & lock
• More clocks throughout the ship would be helpful
• The bar staff, of which there were very few, had a great deal of difficulty keeping up with the volume demand for the fancy drinks (Pina Coladas, Blue Lagoons, etc.), particularly in the time frame between next day briefings and meal times. There should also be an “ORDER HERE” sign posted to eliminate confusion, and shoving, with priority of service.
• I was concerned for the safety of the bar staff with the loose bottles, and glassware in the bars as this has all the makings of a potential accident in rough seas. The bars were more like a land bar rather designed for a ship.
A couple of my main issues were:
• Water pooling on the decks and balconies due to poor drainage and insufficiently placed scuppers.
• Diesel fumes occasionally spilling onto the lounge decks, and sometimes into the cabin when docked and sitting on the balcony.
One should bear in mind that this was their inaugural cruise and there were bound to be some bugs many of which had been pointed out to the owners, who were along for the voyage and mixed with the passengers. The staff, who were mostly Polynesians, couldn’t do enough to ensure passengers were welcomed, safe, comfortable, and always had smiles on their faces. In the evenings they entertained us with their music (The Aranui Band) and dancing. Quite often the staff would perform impromptu, on ship and shore, much to the delight and enjoyment of all.
Whenever we pulled into port the ships staff made sure each and every one of us got on and off the ship safely and securely regardless of physical capability, thereby ensuring each passenger would get the full Polynesian experience. The shore excursions were very enjoyable with interesting and informative guides. At each Island, visitors were welcomed by the locals with traditional performances and unique displays, history, and crafts. Visitors had opportunities to snorkel, tour or hike, and shop. The ship also arranged on shore picnics and barbecues featuring the local cuisine and even rented a small island at Bora Bora for our exclusive use.
As we have done a fair amount of cruising I would rate Aranai more a delightful cruising adventure and would recommend this to anyone and far surpasses those big box monoliths. I am sure the Aranai has a great future.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"The older we get, the better we were."

1) 1980 Cunard QE2 - Southhampton-TA-NYC
2) 1993 Cunard Crown Jewel - Bermuda & Caribbean
3) 1996 Carnival Sensation - Caribbean
4) 2001 Nabila Queen Nabila - Nile River
5) 2004 RCI Grandeur of the Seas - New Orleans-REPO-Baltimore
6) 2006 Celebrity Galaxy - Caribbean & Panama Canal
7) 2007 Carnival Ecstasy - Caribbean
8) 2007 NCL Pride of Aloha - Hawaiian Isles
9) 2008 NCL Norwegian Star - Alaska Inside Passage
10) 2008 Victoria Empress - Yangtse River
11) 2009 RCI Mariner of the Seas - South America
12) 2010 RCI Voyager of the Seas - TA
13 & 14) 2011 RCI Mariner of the Seas - Holy Land/Mediterranean B2B TA
15) 2012 Vodohod MS Lenin - Russia River Cruise
16) 2012 Carnival Elation - Caribbean
17) 2013 Princess Crown Princess - Caribbean
18 & 19) 2013 RCI Radiance of the Seas - Australia Top End B2B-Australia Bottom End/New Zealand
20) 2013 RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Baltic
21) 2013 RCI Brilliance of the Seas - TA
22) 2014 RCI Navigator of the Seas - Caribbean
23) 2015 Celebrity Infinity - Antarctica
24, 25 & 26) 2015 RCI Rhapsody of the Seas - Asia & India B2B Suez Canal B2B Greek Isles
27) 2015 RCI Navigator of the Seas - Caribbean
28) 2016 RCI Explorer of the Seas - Transpacific
29 & 30) 2016 Celebrity Millennium - Bering Sea & Japan B2B Japan, Korea & China
31) 2016 MSC Splendida - Mediterranean

32) 2017 RCI Radiance of the Seas - Southbound Alaska & Hubbard Glacier
33) 2017 Rickmers Jakarta- Houston to Antwerp Freighter Cruise
34) 2017 RCI Independence of the Seas - Caribbean TA

35) 2018 HAL MS Amsterdam - 113-Day Grand World Voyage

Next Booked:

2018 MSC Poesia - Italy, Greece, Albania & Croatia
2018 RCI Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Bucket List:

Aranui 5 - 14-Day French Polynesia & Marquesas Islands
Crystal Serenity - Northwest passage
Arizona
581 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by atlantis1
Is anybody else booked on this freighter cruise? First time for us on this type of cruise and not quite sure what to expect.

Just curious as I would like to book this cruise. Did you enjoy your trip and what can you share what you experienced. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ready to Sail Again!
Star Princess - Hawaii - November 2017
Grand Princess - 10 Day Alaska - August 2018

Sailed:
Star Princess - Hawaii - December 2017 - CANCELLED
Carnival Inspiration - November 2016
Carnival Pride - Repositioning Cruise - March 2015

Carnival Miracle - Hawaii - September 2014
and many more!!
Arizona
581 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
aranui dot com. We requested catalog.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ready to Sail Again!
Star Princess - Hawaii - November 2017
Grand Princess - 10 Day Alaska - August 2018

Sailed:
Star Princess - Hawaii - December 2017 - CANCELLED
Carnival Inspiration - November 2016
Carnival Pride - Repositioning Cruise - March 2015

Carnival Miracle - Hawaii - September 2014
and many more!!
Buena Park, Cal
472 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by 2LoveBikes
Do they have a Web link with their sailing schedules and itineraries? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900T using Forums mobile app

Go to Aranui5.com
You can find all the information

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11-02-2013 Paul Gauguin
08-30-2014 Paul Gauguin
08-29-2015 Pauluin[/IMG] Gauguinhttps://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=cruisefun27&date=4-29-2017&text=&ship=Paul Gaug<a href=http://www.cruisecritic.com rel=nofollow target=_blank>[IMG]https://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=cruisefun27&date=4-29-2017&text=&ship=Paul Gauguin
Buena Park, Cal
472 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by Gold Mine Gal
Just curious as I would like to book this cruise. Did you enjoy your trip and what can you share what you experienced. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forumsjust a couple of the pictures from the ship
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11-02-2013 Paul Gauguin
08-30-2014 Paul Gauguin
08-29-2015 Pauluin[/IMG] Gauguinhttps://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=cruisefun27&date=4-29-2017&text=&ship=Paul Gaug<a href=http://www.cruisecritic.com rel=nofollow target=_blank>[IMG]https://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=cruisefun27&date=4-29-2017&text=&ship=Paul Gauguin