Interested in hearing from people who have travelled ‘smart casual’ on Queen Victoria

lahore

I have been a member of CC for ages, and have also read the posts on here about dress code on Q.V. so I’ve done my research and experienced the tedious and patronising posts on dress code, therefore I hesitate to post this but here goes:

We are thinking of doing Q.V. in 2019 for a 39’ish nighter. Th

is is purely because it is a unique intinerary and goes where we need to go and also because my partner has suffered DVT and PE thus we can’t do long flights.

We aren’t poor, we are extremely well educated and also well travelled so please don’t picture someone going the supermarket in their tracksuit pants. We aren’t slobs but we don’t like dressing up in suits etc.. I am interested in hearing from people who don’t like to dress up for formal nights but who have travelled on Q.V. (and I’m really only interested in hearing from those people, if that’s not you then please see final note). Is it easy enough to get to the buffet on formal nights without anyone on crew asking you to go another way or whatever? Or did you perhaps dine in your room as we often do on formal nights? Any other tips please for having a relaxing journey without ticking anyone off or offending other people’s sensibilties?

Those of you who may be tempted to preach at me and try to convince me that your opinion is in some way superior to mine please save yourself the angst. I know it’s ‘the rules’ - rules are for breaking is my maxim in all thing in life. I don’t care what you think about me so please just don’t bother: really. Sorry for the upfront rudeness but I know what I can expect from some. For everyone else, thank you for any advice in advance.

Edited by lahore

Ooh you are brave! No problem to get to the buffet if you stay on the cabin decks and take the lifts directly up.

Just avoid decks 2 & 3 after 6pm and you'll be fine. Try to wear a jacket tho'.

Also, those not following the accepted dress code are encouraged to avoid the Commodore Club, Yacht Club and Theatre.

I enjoyed 1/2 of the world cruise on QV from Jan '17 ( Ft Lauderdale) to March '17 ( Sydney). I enjoyed buffet dining in the evenings 100 % of the time. I was NEVER formally dressed, but did dress in a subdued, quiet, respectful way with dressy black pants and a variety of dressy tops. And I went to the theater any and every night that the performance was of interest to me. There was NEVER a hint of being turned away. Other pleasant passengers were dressed similar to me, and of course, there were those who did dress very formally, some looking absolutely stunning, and some looking like they were going to a prom at age 16.

I have been a member of CC for ages, and have also read the posts on here about dress code on Q.V. so I’ve done my research and experienced the tedious and patronising posts on dress code, therefore I hesitate to post this but here goes:

We are thinking of doing Q.V. in 2019 for a 39’ish nighter. Th

is is purely because it is a unique intinerary and goes where we need to go and also because my partner has suffered DVT and PE thus we can’t do long flights.

We aren’t poor, we are extremely well educated and also well travelled so please don’t picture someone going the supermarket in their tracksuit pants. We aren’t slobs but we don’t like dressing up in suits etc.. I am interested in hearing from people who don’t like to dress up for formal nights but who have travelled on Q.V. (and I’m really only interested in hearing from those people, if that’s not you then please see final note). Is it easy enough to get to the buffet on formal nights without anyone on crew asking you to go another way or whatever? Or did you perhaps dine in your room as we often do on formal nights? Any other tips please for having a relaxing journey without ticking anyone off or offending other people’s sensibilties?

Those of you who may be tempted to preach at me and try to convince me that your opinion is in some way superior to mine please save yourself the angst. I know it’s ‘the rules’ - rules are for breaking is my maxim in all thing in life. I don’t care what you think about me so please just don’t bother: really. Sorry for the upfront rudeness but I know what I can expect from some. For everyone else, thank you for any advice in advance.

If you’ve read all the (admittedly endless) posts on dress codes then you pretty much know the answers to your questions. The dress code is what it is; no one is ostracized for ignoring it or cutting corners, but efforts to comply are appreciated. That includes the so-called informal nights (jackets for men). No mysteries here.

Ooh you are brave! No problem to get to the buffet if you stay on the cabin decks and take the lifts directly up.

Just avoid decks 2 & 3 after 6pm and you'll be fine. Try to wear a jacket tho'.

Thank you, appreciate the useful deck related information. Jacket yes, he probably will take one but it’s extra weight and we’ll be travelling afterwards which is part of the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also, those not following the accepted dress code are encouraged to avoid the Commodore Club, Yacht Club and Theatre.

Thanks, that’s fine. We don’t drink alcohol and don’t like the type of music they usually have on ships so that’s not a big issue. He is into good quality classical/opera and I like ethnic/folk so we accept that our musical tastes are not usually available onboard (although I did once see a fabulous hammer dulcimer player on Seabourn).

I enjoyed 1/2 of the world cruise on QV from Jan '17 ( Ft Lauderdale) to March '17 ( Sydney). I enjoyed buffet dining in the evenings 100 % of the time. I was NEVER formally dressed, but did dress in a subdued, quiet, respectful way with dressy black pants and a variety of dressy tops. And I went to the theater any and every night that the performance was of interest to me. There was NEVER a hint of being turned away. Other pleasant passengers were dressed similar to me, and of course, there were those who did dress very formally, some looking absolutely stunning, and some looking like they were going to a prom at age 16.

Thank you so much, you and I are clearly talking the same language. You sound as though you do what we do, to a tee. I’m glad to hear that you did exactly what I would do and had no issue. I have never had any issue doing that on any other cruise line but had read some horror (to me) stories about dress on Cunard. Your comment about looking like they were going to a prom at 16 is hilarious, and exactly what I think a lot of the time. That is one of the things that amazes me - put someone in a particular type of clothing, no matter how tacky, and all is well. Formal dress and ‘classiness’ are in no way related IMO, one can look simply hideous and all is well with the formal dress police. It’s not a game I choose to play.

If you’ve read all the (admittedly endless) posts on dress codes then you pretty much know the answers to your questions. The dress code is what it is; no one is ostracized for ignoring it or cutting corners, but efforts to comply are appreciated. That includes the so-called informal nights (jackets for men). No mysteries here.

Good, and thank you. All sounds well here too, it’s just that as I said, I was wondering whether Cunard was really as bad as some of the dress code threads make it sound. The responses here give me hope.

I agree 100% with this poster. We did 48 days on QV's 2015 world cruise and NEVER saw anyone turned away from anywhere regardless of their dress.

The OP does not sound like the type of person who would wear sweats to the theater anyway. They should have no problem.

I agree 100% with this poster. We did 48 days on QV's 2015 world cruise and NEVER saw anyone turned away from anywhere regardless of their dress.

The OP does not sound like the type of person who would wear sweats to the theater anyway. They should have no problem.

That’s great to know, thank you :)

And no, not really sweats to the Theater kind of people. 🤣