What's the strangest thing you've ever seen on a cruise?

time4u2go

Yes, the info that it was 1981 makes a big difference. A cardiac arrest back then was generally untreatable :( And I agree, moving him so other passengers were less likely to know, was in my opinion, the best initial response to avoid a 'scene' for all

Thank you for your accreditation response. I apologize to those that have posted in response to this incident for me not putting the date of the incident into my first post as a foot note.

Medically it's a much different world these days and our 'finality' has moved considerably and happily to the rear.

It's time to turn the page on this unhappy event and move on to more lyrical 'strangest things we've seen on a cruise'.

Best,

Magnum 60

• 9 months later...
I'll go you one better. On the infamous TA crossing with the cross dressers, one married couple, a male and a female, wore exact duplicate outfits when he dressed as Michelle. Sad really, as he was a nice looking man with an attractive wife.

I think we were on the same cruise. You are right, the guy was really nice looking (he dressed "normally" during the day), youngish (a lot of the cross dressers were older) and tall. What really brought everything to a standstill was a formal night when they dressed alike more or less in long royal blue evening gowns and had formal portraits made right outside the entrance to the dining room. Created quite a crowd (lol).

DH was in charge of the group slot pull and would make the rounds around 5:00 or so to refund our "winnings" (we wish) when he figured people would be in their cabins. When he went to their cabin, he answered the door and was in the process of getting ready half made up. DH said he was pretty sure he didn't "skip a beat" as he handed over their money but was taken by surprise. I remember one of the cross dressers was not very nice. In fact, "mean" to his partner and others in his group so they called him "Mean Marlene" behind his back.

On another cruise on the Radiance through the Canal, there was an older woman and a younger man traveling together. The woman had long stringy grey hair, wore her house shoes all the time, and earrings made from the key chains Royal Caribbean gives out. It happened it was over Halloween and passengers were encourage to wear costumes that night for a "party.". They came as French Maids. He had on fish net hose, painted finger/toe nails, high heels, and other accessories along with an appropriate dress. Lots of people took pictures of them which they were receptive to. I took one and have it on my screen saver collage of pictures. I smile every time it pops up. He wore the costume throughout the whole day.

He had shown up once or twice for progressive trivia and joined our team as we only had four and you could have six and the other teams were full. He contributed nothing to the answers. The last day, he showed up wanting in on the grand prize we would win--the scores had been posted throughout the cruise and we would have had to screw up big time not to win. The host had come prepared with six prizes (a six-pack canvas thermo bag filled with goodies) not knowing for sure who would win. He tried to pick up both "extra" prizes but we stopped him but grudgingly letting him take one. Everyone wondered what the relationship was with the woman so the last day, being the bold person I am, I asked the man. It was his mother. Can you say "Bates Motel?"

Edited by Tucker in Texas

In the MDR one night, we were seated at a table for two in YTD. It was one of those that are right on top of the ones next to you. A young couple was seated next to us, after we were seated. You could just sense the tension in the air from the get-go, so we pretty much left them alone rather than tried to get to know them. It was so awkward.

At one point, one of the two stands up, throws his napkin on the table, and was like "If you are not going to talk to me, I'm leaving. I can't sit hear in silence. I'll be on the lido." Sometime like that, can't remember word for word what he said, just that he grabbed his drink and stormed off. So his partner had to explain to the waiter that he didn't need to bring the other guy's entree out when it was ready because he wasn't coming back. He didn't go after his boyfriend or husband (not sure which) and just proceeded to eat his meal.

I did see them again one more time, on the last night of the cruise at a Dive-in movie, and fortunately it appeared that at some point they must of made up. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Looking out our balcony window and seeing the Aruba Coast Guard helicopter flying next to us. It was preventing our ship from entering the port, the ship was a "Sick Ship". Because we had so many people on the ship with norovirus we were denied entrance to Aruba. The ship circled for hours outside the entrance to the port with the helicopter watching us. The pilot boat wouldn't even come out to the ship.

On our Mariner cruise Feb 2010 there was a group of real bearded Santas onboard. There had to be at least 70 of them. they were always dressed in every kind of santa print imaginable. And on formal nights in full Santa mode, hats and all. It was great fun and they were the happiest people you could ever meet. Must have been real confusing to all the kids onboard.

LOVE it!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app

On the Canival Fantasy in the early 90,s they had a American themed night.In the dining room were many American service men in full dress uniforms,very impressive.The Star Spangled Banner was sung and everyone stood respectfully, even us Canadians.Not to be out done when everyone sat down our group ,(approx.60) started to sing Oh Canada,with out exception every Marine ,sailor,airman soldier in the room stood at attention .I have never seen such a show of respect.

This made my eyes leak a little! Is someone cutting onions?!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

Gotta love the towel folding in the evenings on these cruises. We returned to our room the first night to a little dog which I promptly put at the keyboard of my laptop and left for the room attendant to find in the morning. That started the competition. First came the towel man sitting on the sofa to which I added the towel woman with the dog between. We had an anaconda that stretched from the top of the bed to the door of the room, a turtle with a tip box on its back, the dog in the doghouse (because my wife had to put up with a snake in the room), towel hearts and notes etc. Our room attendant was from Jamaica so on the last morning I took the blue bed scarf turned it the length of the bed and put it up over the pillows with the original little dog crying a river (Duns River Falls) of tearful goodbyes. I think we had over 30 towels in our room by the end of the cruise - way more than we were supposed to have but what fun it was! Our waiter in the MDR even got into the theme of our cruise making napkin swans in the glasses for us at the table when he found out what we were doing.

1623223182_IMG_0714(480x640)(360x480)(210x280).jpg.5d26f7924d861f971b36b5bedd9e8da4.jpg

1053437691_IMG_0715(640x480)(280x210).jpg.29df99654810bb41873bd4b68d6088f7.jpg

• Like 1

I love ice cream. On one cruise my indulgence caught the attention Windjammer waiters and they ratted me out to the manager over all food service. Heck of a nice guy. He found me the next day and wanted to see me eat another one.

There are a few tips if you make one.

You gotta know how to hold em. You gotta know how to stack em.

People will stare and point at you and make comments. Stand tough - the ice cream and the bragging rights are worth it.

Wind is not your friend. It melts the ice cream too fast. Find a sheltered location.

You have to eat it fast enough to keep it from melting but slow enough not to get a brain freeze. That's a delicate balance. Put a plate under it to catch any drips you don't lick away fast enough. You can always lick the plate later - hey it's your vacation.

I've always managed to eat it all the way to the bottom. Occasionally you will find an RCL ship that won't let you make your own. Bummer, the kids on the previous cruise probably ruined it for you by making messes and wasting it.

1384290298_IMG_1324(280x210).jpg.0609e70ca4e8c0d143c11d83713718e3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love ice cream. On one cruise my indulgence caught the attention Windjammer waiters and they ratted me out to the manager over all food service. Heck of a nice guy. He found me the next day and wanted to see me eat another one.

People will stare and point at you and make comments. Stand tough - the ice cream and the bragging rights are worth it.

Wind is not your friend. It melts the ice cream too fast. Find a sheltered location.

You have to eat it fast enough to keep it from melting but slow enough not to get a brain freeze. That's a delicate balance. Put a plate under it to catch any drips you don't lick away fast enough. You can always lick the plate later - hey it's your vacation.

I've always managed to eat it all the way to the bottom. Occasionally you will find an RCL ship that won't let you make your own. Bummer, the kids on the previous cruise probably ruined it for you by making messes and wasting it.

And my friends thought I was bad. I don't have any pictures, but I have a reputation. ;p

Gotta love the towel folding in the evenings on these cruises. We returned to our room the first night to a little dog which I promptly put at the keyboard of my laptop and left for the room attendant to find in the morning. That started the competition. First came the towel man sitting on the sofa to which I added the towel woman with the dog between. We had an anaconda that stretched from the top of the bed to the door of the room, a turtle with a tip box on its back, the dog in the doghouse (because my wife had to put up with a snake in the room), towel hearts and notes etc. Our room attendant was from Jamaica so on the last morning I took the blue bed scarf turned it the length of the bed and put it up over the pillows with the original little dog crying a river (Duns River Falls) of tearful goodbyes. I think we had over 30 towels in our room by the end of the cruise - way more than we were supposed to have but what fun it was! Our waiter in the MDR even got into the theme of our cruise making napkin swans in the glasses for us at the table when he found out what we were doing.

I LOVE this story and the Pictures are awesome!!! Thank you for sharing!!!:hearteyes:

That is AWESOME!!!!!

THE strangest thing we have seen in a cruise was a few years back , well before 6 am when we were pulling alongside a Disney ship on Nassau.

There, on an open deck stood Cinderella and a few other costumed characters seeking a few naughty cigarettes......:evilsmile:

A guy came to dinner on our Panama Canal cruise wearing a woman's beach wrap around his waist. It was quite the site and not exactly dinner attire!

By beach wrap do you mean a sarong/pareo? If so, these aren't only worn by women in some countries. Women wrap above the breasts, men wrap around the waist. But not dinner attire unless you're at a resort where local costume is accepted.

gotta love the towel folding in the evenings on these cruises. We returned to our room the first night to a little dog which i promptly put at the keyboard of my laptop and left for the room attendant to find in the morning. That started the competition. First came the towel man sitting on the sofa to which i added the towel woman with the dog between. We had an anaconda that stretched from the top of the bed to the door of the room, a turtle with a tip box on its back, the dog in the doghouse (because my wife had to put up with a snake in the room), towel hearts and notes etc. Our room attendant was from jamaica so on the last morning i took the blue bed scarf turned it the length of the bed and put it up over the pillows with the original little dog crying a river (duns river falls) of tearful goodbyes. I think we had over 30 towels in our room by the end of the cruise - way more than we were supposed to have but what fun it was! Our waiter in the mdr even got into the theme of our cruise making napkin swans in the glasses for us at the table when he found out what we were doing.

omg......those pics ares amazing!!!!

Edited by champagne123
SSSS

I assume that you tipped everyone really well at the end of the cruise. BTW - great pics.

DON

Oh yes, Don't remember if we prepaid the tips but added to them. The turtle I made had a tip box on its back. We travel with family and all added extra tips at dinner. My memory is slipping but we may also have had the cards that reward for special service and would have given them to both the room attendant and the MDR servers.

Here's another unusual trivia bit. I am a US citizen who grew up in Peru S.A. I've been on two RCL cruises now where our MDR servers were Peruvians (one from the coastal region and the other a Quechua from the mountain area). That always warms my heart more than you can imagine and makes for great conversations. I grew up in the jungle area and maybe someday I will meet someone from that region as well.

My last cruise we were leaving port (I think St. Maarten) and this guy was in his tidy whities on his balcony. He was watching our sail away, and it took him a while to realize we we all hooing and hawing because he was in his undies. He was a middle aged man who was round around the middle. When he finally realized he waved. We all applauded! It was a smaller Costa ship.

We were on a 14 day TA and noticed this foreign couple's strange behavior. He wore a bright blue uniform and his wife wore very tight, reveling clothing and extremely heavy makeup. Early each day he would occupy a table in the buffet, spread open a large Bible and she would bring him food and drinks. That night at dinner I was telling our table mates about them and referred to them as looking like Jim and Tammyfay Bakker. A couple at our table thought that was funny because the REAL Bakkers are their next door neighbors back in South Carolina.

After just boarding a Carnival ship observed a family board with buckets (more than 1) of Kentucky Fried Chicken. With all of the food on board I found it strange to see them bringing on more food, but I don't recall ever seeing "fried chicken" on any of my cruises.

We've had fried chicken on only one cruise. It was labeled, "Sudden" Fried Chicken, instead of Southern fried.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I wish I had a picture of the young straight couple in matching camo for Elegant night. He was in a forest camo suit trousers and vest with matching crocs. Black tie and tuxedo shirt. She was in a white top with forest camo skirt and black sequined flats.

They obviously planned this outfit quite well to be offending. Of course, I had to make a sarcastic comment. I bumped into the young man while in line to enter MDR and said, "Oops. Sorry, I didn't see you. You blend in so well."