Twice daily cabin service?

ChicagoCrafter

We always ask for both as well. They don't have to clean both times since we're very tidy people, but empty the trash and give me fresh towels, make the bed and turn down at night. We don't reuse towels so fresh towels are nice and it's nice to have the bed made. We don't make beds at home so it's nice to have it done when we're on vacation. We use the refrigerator so we don't need ice (the fridge does stay cool if you keep the cabinet door open btw) but the trash can is fairly small so it's nice to have it emptied. We also couldn't care less about the Fun Times, that's just another waste of paper to us since the Hub app is fleetwide now. No need for it on the app AND a paper copy.

To be honest, I miss the days when you didn't have to worry about it. You walked in your cabin and was never asked about service and it was just done twice a day. I have had issues one time when the steward asked if I just wanted morning or evening and I said both. I know its Carnivals fault and not the steward, but when I see so many people say they get guff when asking for both it irritates me. Asking the guest for one of the three should be universal and well as when the guest ask for both their shouldn't be an attitude back to the guest. Just wish it went back to the old times so you don't have to feel bad, or get an attitude for asking for both. :( Just my thoughts.

It isn't the best way to start a cruise and I agree it's Carnival's fault putting us at odds with the room stewards. I've had push-back on our last two cruises it it just left a bad taste in my mouth.

It isn't the best way to start a cruise and I agree it's Carnival's fault putting us at odds with the room stewards. I've had push-back on our last two cruises it it just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I haven't cruised in a while and am surprised this is happening so often. If I felt the steward was resisting our preference, or if there was any uncomfortable moment about this, I would just drop a polite note to the Hotel Director.

Thanks. Last year on Glory we were asked one or the other, no option for both so we chose evening. But, having cruised carnival before we may use of the cruising/snoozing sign and our steward stopped us one day to say "cruising" means service please, and that we'd only asked him for evening, so why were we putting the sign up during the day.

This preference/choice should be added online with bed setup, dining time, special occasion or needs selections. I suspect it is not because stewards want to have that first personalized interaction and form a “bond” but if they are going to push back on your choice it’s a lasting negative first impression.

This preference/choice should be added online with bed setup, dining time, special occasion or needs selections. I suspect it is not because stewards want to have that first personalized interaction and form a “bond” but if they are going to push back on your choice it’s a lasting negative first impression.

Stewards are doing this as their workload has increased.

Also they know that many new cruisers have no idea that 2x has been the norm for many years so they try to reduce their load.

We do twice daily. It’s nice to come back to a tidy room and we usually have a tray in there etc and need more ice. We re use towels no problem. But we have the couch turned into a bed in the evening and back to a couch in the morning so we can use the most space. We were encouraged to do once a day and started there, but then left a note to up it to twice a day the next day which was done no problem. Later this month we’ll plan for twice a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stewards are doing this as their workload has increased.

Also they know that many new cruisers have no idea that 2x has been the norm for many years so they try to reduce their load.

I agree. Add it to the online preferences to remove any awkward conversation. This will also give Carnival a good idea of guest expectations and they can have staffing at appropriate levels.

I agree. Add it to the online preferences to remove any awkward conversation. This will also give Carnival a good idea of guest expectations and they can have staffing at appropriate levels.

The conundrum for Carnival, here, is that they've already reduced the staff, so now they have to attempt to curtail the guest's expectations to match the diminished level of staffing.

The conundrum for Carnival

You are right, that is Carnival's conundrum. A conundrum they created solely on their end and without guest input or prompting. It is their conundrum to solve.

I suspect they thought many of us would have simply graduated to Princess by now and this issue would simply vanish.

Where is that dead horse stick? Which awkward conversation is that? 7 cruises since they started it and not one awkward conversation, I must be very lucky. 4 of those times I did see a card, guess how many options there were?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Where is that dead horse stick? Which awkward conversation is that? 7 cruises since they started it and not one awkward conversation, I must be very lucky. 4 of those times I did see a card, guess how many options there were?

Read the replies of steward push back. Also you've been around the block, many new cruisers may not realize twice daily is an option if a room attendant is not 100% forthcoming regarding choices. I'm not against choice, I just think it would make things simpler for everyone if that choice was put online to select before boarding, just like you select if beds are to be together or apart.

Read the replies of steward push back. Also you've been around the block, many new cruisers may not realize twice daily is an option if a room attendant is not 100% forthcoming regarding choices. I'm not against choice, I just think it would make things simpler for everyone if that choice was put online to select before boarding, just like you select if beds are to be together or apart.

I agree it would be simpler if it were an option. My guess is many don't care, the ones that really do are the ones that think it is a pull away. Our last two cruises we chose morning and they did both anyway.

We were asked if we prefer morning, evening, or both on our Oct. Dream Cruise. We answered “both”, and that’s what we received with no further questions asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree it would be simpler if it were an option. My guess is many don't care, the ones that really do are the ones that think it is a pull away. Our last two cruises we chose morning and they did both anyway.

CUT BACK!! Say it!! You can do it!! :'):'):')

I'm not sure if the system is set up fleet wide yet, but on embarkation days for both of our most recent cruises (Glory and Sunshine), our steward introduced himself to us, and gave us a form with allowed us to select either morning service, evening service, or twice daily service. While the twice daily option was clearly available as a selection on the form, one of the stewards (on the Glory) sold once-daily service very hard, and pushed back a bit when I selected twice daily service. I relented, and selects morning service, but most days on both cruises, the cabin was serviced twice daily. JH insists that twice daily service is still the norm, but don't be surprised if your steward tries to convince you to request either morning or evening. For us, twice daily service is nice, but not really needed.

Should I ever encounter a hard sell for once a day service, I will inform him up front his tip has been cut in half.

Have you heard of any other cruise line that is pushing 1x service? I can tell you on Princess 2x service is the norm and we are not even asked if we want 1x service.

I don’t hear a lot about other cruise lines (service related) in general' date=' unless someone brings it up here. That said, other than experienced cruisers that bring it up here (which is fine btw), generally speaking, it does not get much notice.

As you may know, we usually travel with groups and I am always keen on the more experienced ones and what they say when they encounter the room steward asking what they want. My purely unscientific analysis of them is that it is meaningful to about 15% (from a negative perspective) and the majority care only from a point of which option to pick.

As you may know, we usually travel with groups and I am always keen on the more experienced ones and what they say when they encounter the room steward asking what they want. My purely unscientific analysis of them is that it is meaningful to about 15% (from a negative perspective) and the majority care only from a point of which option to pick.

That is why Carnival can get away with a lot of the cutbacks they have done. Majority of cruisers are relatively new to cruising and have no idea as to what they have lost.

We pay a bit more on Princess but it is what cruising was like say 20 years ago.

We are platinum with Carnival and love the choice to only have service once a day. We spend a lot of time in our cabin and really like not having to play the shuffle to be gone long enough for the steward to make our bed that we are just going to take a nap in soon anyway. :) To each his own, but we are happy to have a choice!

We are platinum with Carnival and love the choice to only have service once a day. We spend a lot of time in our cabin and really like not having to play the shuffle to be gone long enough for the steward to make our bed that we are just going to take a nap in soon anyway. :) To each his own, but we are happy to have a choice!

We are diamond and enjoy the same thing. Listen I do get their point, but the fact is that this change is as much due to cruisers wants as the few who rank it up there with Elvis still being alive, Area 51, man did not walk on the moon and building 7.