Iguazu Falls or more time in B.A.?

edgee

We have four nights pre cruise in Buenos Aires next February. Are considering a two night trip during this time to Iguazu Falls. However, given fatigue from all night flight to Buenos Aires which cuts into first day, if we go to Iguazu we are concerned it will result in a rushed four days pre cruise and hamper our ability to spend a reasonable time touring B.A. Any advice would be appreciated as to whether we are better off passing on Iguazu and really taking the time to tour B.A. at an unhurried pace, or whether shorting our time in B.A. in order to view Iguazu is worth it.

We have four nights pre cruise in Buenos Aires next February. Are considering a two night trip during this time to Iguazu Falls. However, given fatigue from all night flight to Buenos Aires which cuts into first day, if we go to Iguazu we are concerned it will result in a rushed four days pre cruise and hamper our ability to spend a reasonable time touring B.A. Any advice would be appreciated as to whether we are better off passing on Iguazu and really taking the time to tour B.A. at an unhurried pace, or whether shorting our time in B.A. in order to view Iguazu is worth it.

Edgee,

I am heading to B.A. on Jan. 4. We sail on the Star Princess on Jan. 9. So our schedules are similar.

First off, I have been to both B.A. and Iguazu back in the 70's. The friends I am traveling with have not. We made the decision to land on 1/5 and go directly to the falls and will stay 2 nights. It is a long flight, but only changing 2 time zones. Not sure if we "will pass this way again" and wanted to make sure they see Iguazu. A must see. I think if I were you I would ask myself, will I make this trip to So. America again? If yes, then you have the luxury of staying in B.A. the 4 days. If the answer is no or not sure, then do NOT miss Iguazu. It is one of the 7 wonders of the modern world and IMHO, bigger and more impressive than Niagara.

I hope you get lots of posts to help you make your decision. Good luck.

Kathleen/shootingstar07

The falls should not be missed. If you stay at the hotel in the park and take a morning flight up and an afternoon flight back the next day, you can see a lot with a one-night stay. That still doesn't leave you with an ideal amount of time in BA, but it is a worthwhile trade-off.

Iguazu is more than worth it! Go to Iguazu the day you arrive and stay two nights. Return to BA. You will have a full day next day and don't forget, you have extra time to tour BA the day of embarkation. (If' I'm reading your schedule right.)

I'll jump on the bandwagon as well: Iguazu Falls is not to be missed. It was the highlight of our trip.

Stay in the park if you can.

Even though it takes some doing, changing airports and going right to Iguazu has its merits. Get all the travel hassle over at once. Make sure to look into baggage restrictions on your domestic flight; they are different from the international restrictions.

Make sure to look into baggage restrictions on your domestic flight; they are different from the international restrictions.

That was one of the reasons that we planned our trip to the falls during the middle of our stay in BA. We left most of our luggage at the hotel in BA and traveled light to the falls. I think that I remember a post about storing luggage at the domestic airport. That would be another way to leave behind most of your baggage.

You only need two days (1 night) in the falls to see everything. You should go to the both sides Brazil and Argentina, one in each day and it will be great. In both sides you have hotels in the park. Take one of them.

We had originally planned to do just one night at the Sheraton, but have changed it to two nights so we have at least one full day there. I know that this will be the only time we will ever visit Iguazu and I want to spend as much time there as possible. The potential for visiting BA again is much higher. Can't wait to experience the falls.

The falls should not be missed. If you stay at the hotel in the park and take a morning flight up and an afternoon flight back the next day, you can see a lot with a one-night stay. That still doesn't leave you with an ideal amount of time in BA, but it is a worthwhile trade-off.

This is exactly what we did because we were time constrained! We spent only one night and saw the falls only from the Argentine side.

We did a half day city tour and a Tango Show in BA the day we arrived inspite of jet lag!

You can read the details in my trip notes.

Iguazu Falls is not to be missed.

Igauzu should not be missed if this is the only chance that you have to get there. But also consider that this is SA and BA is a late night kind of city. The day you fly in you could go to your hotel and rest for several hours and still have several hours to go around the city in daylight. The Tango shows are all quite late, so you could do one the first night. Leave your luggage at the hotel and take a mid-day flight to Igauzu, spend one night at the Sheraton and return mid-day or later. Thus you have a whole day at the falls.

The Falls are not to be missed! Between the magnificent falls, the exotic birds, and the beautiful butterflies, I did not know what to photograph first!

Buenos Aires is terrific and has its own atmosphere and unique character, but the main highlights are in a compact area and can be seen in two days.

The flights to and from the Falls are from the domestic airport in BA which is very convenient. It is not the same airport where you arrived from the States. It is also a short ride from the airport to the hotels when you get to the Falls. So you are not talking about major travel time between BA and Iguazu.

The Buenos Aires international airport is Ezeiza Ministro Pistarini International Airport (EZE). It is 45 minutes from downtown. The commuter airport in BA is Jorge Newbery AeroPark Airport (AEP). It is 15 minutes from downtown. The airport to fly to for the Argentina side of the falls is Cataratas Airport (IGR).

Does anyone have suggestions as to cost for a 2 day 1 night excursion?

The airfare from BA is about $330 pp to the Argentina side. The cheapest room in the Sheraton through AAA is $260 plus $55 tax or $315 per night. There are cheaper rooms in town.

Thanks! It's looking interesting!

Do posters here think the Igauzu Falls are grander and better than Victoria Falls/Zambia? We too have only a few days prior to our cruise leaving BA. We are flying from Vancouver direct to BA and know we will be exhausted upon arrival . So we are thinking of forgoing the Falls and spending more time getting over jet lag learning to Tango!! LOL

Also bear in mind you will need yellow fever shots for Iguazu.

From what I have seen Victoria Falls is more spectacular if you have seen them full of water. I too have been to Vic Falls as well as Niagra but I still want to see Iguazu because they are different. Are they worth it? well that is going to be in the eye of the beholder....

I am sure that both Iguassu and Victoria are much better than Niagara, but I would still highly recommend people not to miss Niagara. So I am sure that I would still want to see Iguassu even if Victoria was better. One thing is for sure, Iguassu is very different from Victoria and well worth visiting.

Does anyone have suggestions as to cost for a 2 day 1 night excursion?

We booked through a travel agent in BA and got good rates on both the flights and the Sheraton 4 years ago. The rates booking directly with Sheraton and the airline were higher. We also got picked up at both ends and had a guide for one afternoon at the Falls.

Do posters here think the Igauzu Falls are grander and better than Victoria Falls/Zambia? We too have only a few days prior to our cruise leaving BA. We are flying from Vancouver direct to BA and know we will be exhausted upon arrival . So we are thinking of forgoing the Falls and spending more time getting over jet lag learning to Tango!! LOL

We have been to both Victoria Falls and Iguazu Falls, and were more impressed with Iguazu. Depending on the time of year and rainfall the intensity can be different. Iguazu is not to be missed. Most cruise lines have free tango lessons on board on sea days!

Dileep,

Thank you for your opinion on Iguazu being better than Victoria. I always wondered about that.

I have a video of Victoria Falls somewhere! Took it from a helicopter during a 15 minute ride!

Archived