UPDATE: Argentina Reciprocity Fee For Cruise Ship Passengers

dr__dawggy

As predicted, Argentina will soon begin collecting entry/reciprocity fees at all entry points, including cruise ships....

-----------

ARGENTINA UPDATE Reciprocity Fee Pre-payment- starting Jan 7,2013 at ALL Entries except cruise passengers. Cruise passengers will be required to pay the fee beginning July 1, 2013.

http://csidn.mrecic.gov.ar/en/node/4552

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesibleingles/… (so far, in Spanish only)

AS OF JANUARY 7, 2013 pre-paid on-line reciprocity fees before departure and arrival will be payable for all entries into Argentina for Americans, Australian or Canadians, whether by land , sea, or flight.

Pre-payment has already started, no problems reported so far, it just does not become obligatory until 28 DECEMEBER 2012 for flights to Aeroparque (AEP) or for Ezeiza (EZE) International Airport, BA. As of right now , it is still an option to paying on arrival. As of January 7, 2013, it is scheduled to apply for all entry points, everywhere, by land, sea or flight.

Edited by dr__dawggy

I assume the cruise line will pay or will it be something one would do as they leave the ship.

Do cruise lines pay Visa fees for ports such as Brazil? I don't know but assume the same policy will exist for the Argentina fee. If Cruise Lines include the fee, expect prices for cruises to go up to offset the hefty U$160 fee.

Question. If you are just stopping in Argentina (cruise does not begin or end there) will you need to pay the fee when the next phase occurs?

Keith

I don't know for certain but I assume that if you enter Argentina, you will need to pay the fee.

As predicted, Argentina will soon begin collecting entry/reciprocity fees at all entry points, including cruise ships....

-----------

ARGENTINA UPDATE Reciprocity Fee Pre-payment- starting Jan 7,2013 at ALL Entries except cruise passengers. Cruise passengers will be required to pay the fee beginning July 1, 2013.

www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesibleingles/… (so far, in Spanish only)

AS OF JANUARY 7, 2013 pre-paid on-line reciprocity fees before departure and arrival will be payable for all entries into Argentina for Americans, Australian or Canadians, whether by land , sea, or flight.

Pre-payment has already started, no problems reported so far, it just does not become obligatory until 28 DECEMEBER 2012 for flights to Aeroparque (AEP) or for Ezeiza (EZE) International Airport, BA. As of right now , it is still an option to paying on arrival. As of January 7, 2013, it is scheduled to apply for all entry points, everywhere, by land, sea or flight.

In part, you wrote:

<<Cruise passengers will be required to pay the fee beginning July 1, 2013.>>

Where did you find this exception? I've searched online and have seen several references to "... payable at all entry points, effective Jan 7, 2013..." but I haven't yet found a reference to July 1, 2013 as the effective date for cruise passengers.

Perhaps this exception is stated on the Argentine gov't web page that is referenced as being only in Spanish at this time? (Unfortunately, my Spanish is too limited to help me with this.) If anyone knows of an online reference in English relating to the July 1 date, could you post that here? Thanks.

In part, you wrote:

<<Cruise passengers will be required to pay the fee beginning July 1, 2013.>>

Where did you find this exception? I've searched online and have seen several references to "... payable at all entry points, effective Jan 7, 2013..." but I haven't yet found a reference to July 1, 2013 as the effective date for cruise passengers.

Perhaps this exception is stated on the Argentine gov't web page that is referenced as being only in Spanish at this time? (Unfortunately, my Spanish is too limited to help me with this.) If anyone knows of an online reference in English relating to the July 1 date, could you post that here? Thanks.

The exception is listed on the first web site I linked in my initial post, which is in English. Here it is again:

Exemption: reciprocity fee for passengers arriving by cruise ship

"Australian, Canadian or American citizens arriving into Argentina as passengers of a cruise ship, will remain exempted from the reciprocity fee until the last day of June of 2013. Passengers arriving in cruise ships on the 1st of July 2013 and afterwards, will have to pay the reciprocity fee online before their arrival into the argentine port."

Edited by dr__dawggy

This has been such a confusing issue made worse because the visa info was in Spanish only at the beginning and also because you cannot get an answer from the Argentinian consulates. I still have not received a definitive response to my question about staying on in Argentina and flying to Iguazu, (TA referred me to cruise line and LAN...cruise line quoted the info about cruise passengers' exemption and LAN referred me to the consulate). So I'm just going with the info about cruise passengers and hoping we won't have problems at AEP.

BTW, our cruise documents made mention of a departure fee from B.A. Does anyone know if this is still in effect?

The exception is listed on the first web site I linked in my initial post, which is in English. Here it is again:

Exemption: reciprocity fee for passengers arriving by cruise ship

"Australian, Canadian or American citizens arriving into Argentina as passengers of a cruise ship, will remain exempted from the reciprocity fee until the last day of June of 2013. Passengers arriving in cruise ships on the 1st of July 2013 and afterwards, will have to pay the reciprocity fee online before their arrival into the argentine port."

Thanks. Although I did read that web page, I missed the relevant text about the cruise ship exemption (duh!). Thanks for bringing this issue to everyone's attention.

This has been such a confusing issue made worse because the visa info was in Spanish only at the beginning and also because you cannot get an answer from the Argentinian consulates. I still have not received a definitive response to my question about staying on in Argentina and flying to Iguazu, (TA referred me to cruise line and LAN...cruise line quoted the info about cruise passengers' exemption and LAN referred me to the consulate). So I'm just going with the info about cruise passengers and hoping we won't have problems at AEP.

BTW, our cruise documents made mention of a departure fee from B.A. Does anyone know if this is still in effect?

I am not sure I understand your situation. If you mean you will arrive in BA on a cruise before July 1, 2013, stay over in BA and fly from AEP to Puerto Iguazu (the Argentina side), there is no reciprocity fee since this is a domestic flight.

Departure fees are now included as part of the airline ticket price for all major international carriers. If you are flying home on a South American carrier, you should check with the airline.

Dr dawggy...yes that is what I meant. As for departure fee, we're on AA so I guess we're clear there too.

Thanks!

I fly on American when I go to BA.....and you are definitely in the clear. Departure taxes are now included in the ticket price.

We'll be flying to the Brazilian side of Iguazu, then driving a couple of days later to the Argentian side and flying from there to Buenos Aires at the end of January 2013.

Sounds like we'll need to pay the fee, but I'm tempted to chance it and save the $320.

Does anybody know what happens if the fees weren't paid in advance online? There must be a ton of people who are flying in who aren't aware of these new regulations.

Does anybody know what happens if the fees weren't paid in advance online? There must be a ton of people who are flying in who aren't aware of these new regulations.

We'll start hearing about it after December 28th on the TA forums for those arriving by air, and after January 7th for those arriving by land.

The best case scenario is if you arrive without your receipt, they'll direct you to a computer where you can pay the fee and print the receipt. However, the worst case scenario is a little unnerving.

We'll start hearing about it after December 28th on the TA forums for those arriving by air, and after January 7th for those arriving by land.

The best case scenario is if you arrive without your receipt, they'll direct you to a computer where you can pay the fee and print the receipt. However, the worst case scenario is a little unnerving.

Exactly. The new procedures are not in effect yet. Hard to know how serious Argentina will be about enforcing the "must purchase in advance" policy until it is implemented. Not sure I would take a chance of being sent home to "test" the system.

Edited by dr__dawggy

What happens if someone tries to board a flight to Brazil without a visa? Most likely this will be what happens when boarding a flight to Argentina on December 28 and beyond. Might be a scramble to find a computer and a printer before boarding the flight. At land crossings, might just be turned away. And once July 1 arrives, without the paid fee, the cruise line will be hesitant to allow boarding. While Argentina says that they do not require a visa, this will become a defacto visa. Glad that I still have 8 years on my old receipt.

What happens if someone tries to board a flight to Brazil without a visa? Most likely this will be what happens when boarding a flight to Argentina on December 28 and beyond. Might be a scramble to find a computer and a printer before boarding the flight. At land crossings, might just be turned away. And once July 1 arrives, without the paid fee, the cruise line will be hesitant to allow boarding. While Argentina says that they do not require a visa, this will become a defacto visa. Glad that I still have 8 years on my old receipt.

I expect to hear from United before our flight to BA in February. I don't think they will let anyone board who has not paid the reciprocity fee.

In the Princess section, there is a live thread being posted by a passenger on the Star Princess. They are heading south along the coast of Chile, so it will still be several days before they get to Ushuaia. However, that would be before they reach the Falklands.

Time will tell

Exactly. The new procedures are not in effect yet. Hard to know how serious Argentina will be about enforcing the "must purchase in advance" policy until it is implemented. Not sure I would take a chance of being sent home to "test" the system.

While not a verteran cruiser (only 6 cruises) I fly regularly. The fee is 90% likely to be handled actually be the airline the same as it is for Australia. You need an electronic visa to get on the airplane. American told me they will be requiring passengers to show their visa before boarding. The airlines are responsible for making sure their passengers have proper documents to the end of their trip on their airline.

Definately would not want to arrive after being told by both the cruise line and American airlines that I MUST pay online in advance and bring a printout of payment.

• 2 weeks later...

Today when I was paying the reciprocity fee for my husband and parents, I screwed up the my husbands date of birth. I entered June 7 instead of 17th. And there is no way of fixing it on line. I assume I am just going to have to go in and pay again to fix it.

Anybody with any experience with this problem?

Can we take a chance and if they don't like it pay again at the kiosks I heard were at the EZE airport?

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer after all the Christmas celebrations.....