Hotel in Buenos Aires

ssbeagle

Heading to Buenos Aires pre-cruise for the first time and looking for a hotel. Anyone have any good recommendations? We are flying in the night before the cruise.

It all depends on your budget. Anywhere in Recoleta, Retiro or Puerto Madero is a safe bet. Whatever you choose, you will save 40% by paying in cash because that is the approximate difference between the ubiquitous black market price fetched by a US dollar versus the conversion rate you get when using a credit card. See http://ambito.com/economia/mercados/

If need be, reserve your room with a credit card and then pay with local currency obtained after you arrive. Change houses are located all over the place (typically at travel agencies and jewelry shops) and your bellman or bartender will know where to make change (assumming he doesn't offer to change himself). Avoid the hawkers on Av. Florida.

I see that the "blue" exchange rate is considerably higher...why is the black market exchange rate so much higher than the "oficial" rate? By doing it that way my concern would be receiving counterfeit bills in exchange & I wouldn't want to get involved with any legal proceedings. I guess it's my skepticism that when something seems to be 'too good to be true' it generally isn't true or at the very least borderline 'illegal'.

Thanks for the info & I'll research this further to decide if any potential risks outweigh any potential benefits.

What about transportation from the airport to the hotel? What is the best way to get there when the hotel doesn't offer it?

Taxi Ezesia which has a booth inside the terminal or other such services inside the terminal. Do not hail a cab outside the terminal - too many are problemmatical, i.e. dangerous or dishonest. From EZE to Recoleta hotels costs about 240 pesos or about $30 at the black/blue/unofficial rate.

We stayed at the Duque Hotel in Palermo in February prior to our cruise. It is a boutique hotel in a nice area which we enjoyed walking around. The rooms were small but very comfortable, the service and included breakfast was great and it was a short walk from Don Julios restaurant which was not cheap but a great experience. I found it using tripadvisor reviews and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

We stayed at Loi Suites Recoleta, near the cemetery. This was a very comfortable hotel, with a lovely pool and friendly staff. It is a safe area (a significant point in BA) and near many good restaurants and cafes, as well as a shopping centre. The hotel restaurant was also very good. Due to the general strike, we ended up staying there 5 nights, and didn't regret our choice of hotel.

Taxi Ezesia which has a booth inside the terminal or other such services inside the terminal. Do not hail a cab outside the terminal - too many are problemmatical, i.e. dangerous or dishonest. From EZE to Recoleta hotels costs about 240 pesos or about $30 at the black/blue/unofficial rate.

Is it better to use Pesos or dollars? We have never been there before so that's why I am asking all these questions.

I see that the "blue" exchange rate is considerably higher...why is the black market exchange rate so much higher than the "oficial" rate? By doing it that way my concern would be receiving counterfeit bills in exchange & I wouldn't want to get involved with any legal proceedings. I guess it's my skepticism that when something seems to be 'too good to be true' it generally isn't true or at the very least borderline 'illegal'.

Thanks for the info & I'll research this further to decide if any potential risks outweigh any potential benefits.

The reason for the huge difference in official and black market exchange rate for the Argentine currency is high inflation rate. The government has instituted massive restrictions on Argentines funds within the country.

http://www.economist.com/node/21548229

My suggestion is not to exchange dollars for pesos, but negotiate to pay for things in dollars.

The reason for the huge difference in official and black market exchange rate for the Argentine currency is high inflation rate. The government has instituted massive restrictions on Argentines funds within the country.

http://www.economist.com/node/21548229

My suggestion is not to exchange dollars for pesos, but negotiate to pay for things in dollars.

Thanks & reading additional info it appears that new crisp bills are the most highly desired.

Is it better to use Pesos or dollars? We have never been there before so that's why I am asking all these questions.

It all depends. Would you rather pay $30 for a taxi or 50$ for the same taxi? Using your ATM card or paying for anything with a credit card will require you to trade pesos at the official rate of exchange which is approx 5.1 pesos to the US $. The blue aka unofficial aka black market rate is about 8.6 pesos to the US$.

That is why I suggest to avoid using your credit card and ATM card to obtain pesos and especially to pay your hotel bill. The blue market is ubiquitous in Bs As. The grocery store and the furniture store near where I live both eagerly change my dollars so I don't have to deal with the jewelry shop around the corner which is a true cueva (change house) which always wants to low ball me. If the furniture and grocery store proprietors don't need dollars then I go to my regular cueva in Galleria del Sol (but that is a 10 minute bike ride through crowded downtown streets).

You should explore obtaining some pesos prior to arriving in Arg. Anything better than the official rate will save you money for the taxi until you can check in to the hotel and locate a cueva. Ask you hotel bellman or bartender. Ask any well dressed man on the street. Ask the waiter who serves you a meal. Cuevas are all over the place, typically in travel agencies and jewelry stores. Just avoid the hawkers on Calle Florida. Some are ok, but some are likely to pass counterfeit notes.

By the way, expect the peso to drop precipitously within the next week or so when the Fed Ct in NY issues its ruling in the pending bond holder litigation. See http://www.shearman.com/files/Publication/2a8293eb-d203-4735-9b6e-06b3cd219d70/Presentation/PublicationAttachment/79dd836f-39e2-4749-b317-11c78c4e1684/Don%E2%80%99t-Cry-for-Me-Argentine-Bondholders--Argentina-Responds-to-the-Second-Circuit%E2%80%99s-Inquiry.pdf

I would guess the peso will fall to 10 to the dollar by the end of May.

We stayed at the Sheraton park tower, it is very close to port. And service is good. We felt safe, as only approved taxis are allowed to pick up there. We arranged taxi to hotel while still in the airport, again this assures that you are traveling with appropriate taxi drivers.

It all depends. Would you rather pay $30 for a taxi or 50$ for the same taxi? Using your ATM card or paying for anything with a credit card will require you to trade pesos at the official rate of exchange which is approx 5.1 pesos to the US $. The blue aka unofficial aka black market rate is about 8.6 pesos to the US$.

That is why I suggest to avoid using your credit card and ATM card to obtain pesos and especially to pay your hotel bill. The blue market is ubiquitous in Bs As. The grocery store and the furniture store near where I live both eagerly change my dollars so I don't have to deal with the jewelry shop around the corner which is a true cueva (change house) which always wants to low ball me. If the furniture and grocery store proprietors don't need dollars then I go to my regular cueva in Galleria del Sol (but that is a 10 minute bike ride through crowded downtown streets).

You should explore obtaining some pesos prior to arriving in Arg. Anything better than the official rate will save you money for the taxi until you can check in to the hotel and locate a cueva. Ask you hotel bellman or bartender. Ask any well dressed man on the street. Ask the waiter who serves you a meal. Cuevas are all over the place, typically in travel agencies and jewelry stores. Just avoid the hawkers on Calle Florida. Some are ok, but some are likely to pass counterfeit notes.

By the way, expect the peso to drop precipitously within the next week or so when the Fed Ct in NY issues its ruling in the pending bond holder litigation. See http://www.shearman.com/files/Publication/2a8293eb-d203-4735-9b6e-06b3cd219d70/Presentation/PublicationAttachment/79dd836f-39e2-4749-b317-11c78c4e1684/Don%E2%80%99t-Cry-for-Me-Argentine-Bondholders--Argentina-Responds-to-the-Second-Circuit%E2%80%99s-Inquiry.pdf

pmacher,

Thanks for the info. We are consdering staying at a Bed and Breakfast for about $50 per night and paying in cash (USD). Should we be able to do this?

On purchasing Argentine Pesos before we arrive (at the 8.1 rate), any suggestions on how we do that? Our local bank?

We stayed at the Sheraton park tower, it is very close to port. And service is good. We felt safe, as only approved taxis are allowed to pick up there. We arranged taxi to hotel while still in the airport, again this assures that you are traveling with appropriate taxi drivers.
And I will bet that the cab/car fare you paid was significantly higher than $30. The cabs from Taxi Ezesia are safe and priced right.

pmacher,

Thanks for the info. We are consdering staying at a Bed and Breakfast for about $50 per night and paying in cash (USD). Should we be able to do this?

Was this $50 price quoted to you in dollars? Technically, it is unlawful for a seller of housing to set a price in other than the legal tender of the nation. If so, you are entitled to pay in pesos AT THE LEGAL RATE. Accordingly, you would be within your rights to offer 260 pesos ($35 at the blue rate) and the B&B would be obligated to give you the room. However, I'm sure the B&B has no expectation you would insist upon enforcing that law (and may not even be familiar with it though it should). Unless some problem develops I would just go ahead and pay the $50 - it seems too small a difference to get into a hassle over.

On purchasing Argentine Pesos before we arrive (at the 8.1 rate), any suggestions on how we do that? Our local bank?

Try obtaining pesos at any money trading service, but unless you can get close to the current blue rate buy only enough pesos to get you out of the airport and into your B&B. Many merchants and restaurants will offer close to a blue rate when making a purchase (especially a large ticket one) or dining. Ask in advance what they will pay. Walk away if they quote you the official rate because if they are willing to take advantage of you on the rate, it's a sign they may be unreliable in other aspects of the transaction.

If you have a US account , you can also send money to your self c/o MORE or certain banks via xoom.com. It's perfectly legal and reliable though you get a bit below the actual blue rate. See http://www.xoom.com

Do you live in BA? And what you are saying is to buy pesos before I leave home to use for the taxi from the airport? We are there for only one night and will be at the Marriott. How many pesos should I bring to hold me for taxis, etc?

Do you live in BA? And what you are saying is to buy pesos before I leave home to use for the taxi from the airport? We are there for only one night and will be at the Marriott. How many pesos should I bring to hold me for taxis, etc?

Yes. See above. About 240 pesos for the taxi to the Marriott. Maybe more now as inflation is 30% per year. Then change dollars once you get to the hotel . Try not to pay for the hotel with a credit card. I am repeating myself.

Yes. See above. About 240 pesos for the taxi to the Marriott. Maybe more now as inflation is 30% per year. Then change dollars once you get to the hotel . Try not to pay for the hotel with a credit card. I am repeating myself.

Even though the Marriott is an American chain and requires a credit card to hold the reservation, you believe that I won't get the rate I was given on line?

Even though the Marriott is an American chain and requires a credit card to hold the reservation, you believe that I won't get the rate I was given on line?

No. I am not saying the hotel will change a rate it has quoted especially since it probably quoted you a USD denominated rate. The point I am trying to make is that even if you were quoted a USD denominated tariff (and online rates are quoted in US $ for the Bs As Marriott) the law allows you to pay in the legal tender of the country. Here is a cut and paste from the Marriott website as applies to Argentine rates:

1. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA DOLLAR (USD) = 5.16 ARGENTINA PESO (ARS) as of Sunday, April 21, 2013

Note: Converted amount is based on the exchange rate from the close of business of the preceding day and is for comparison purposes only. All charges are subject to the hotel's exchange rate at check out.

When you check in ask to pay in cash. I can not imagine they would refuse to take the legal tender of the country. Suppose the daily room rate quoted to you was US $329. You can choose to pay with a credit card the quoted USD rate of US$329 or you could pay in pesos. Instead of paying the Marriott US$329, you should take US$200 in cash to a cueva and convert it to pesos at the blue rate obtaining approximately 1700 pesos (200 x 8.5). Dividing 1700 by 5.16 = $329.45. Pay the hotel 1700 pesos. Instead of paying US$329 the room costs you US $200, a significant savings.

No. I am not saying the hotel will change a rate it has quoted especially since it probably quoted you a USD denominated rate. The point I am trying to make is that even if you were quoted a USD denominated tariff (and online rates are quoted in US $ for the Bs As Marriott) the law allows you to pay in the legal tender of the country. Here is a cut and paste from the Marriott website as applies to Argentine rates:

1. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA DOLLAR (USD) = 5.16 ARGENTINA PESO (ARS) as of Sunday, April 21, 2013

Note: Converted amount is based on the exchange rate from the close of business of the preceding day and is for comparison purposes only. All charges are subject to the hotel's exchange rate at check out.

When you check in ask to pay in cash. I can not imagine they would refuse to take the legal tender of the country. Suppose the daily room rate quoted to you was US $329. You can choose to pay with a credit card the quoted USD rate of US$329 or you could pay in pesos. Instead of paying the Marriott US$329, you should take US$200 in cash to a cueva and convert it to pesos at the blue rate obtaining approximately 1700 pesos (200 x 8.5). Dividing 1700 by 5.16 = $329.45. Pay the hotel 1700 pesos. Instead of paying US$329 the room costs you US $200, a significant savings.

I think I understand now. If I pay in cash on the day, then we will probably get the room for considerably less than if I left it on my credit card. That really sounds fishy. Someone is making money somewhere because so many are like me and don't understand this or have someone help to explain it. I will ask for your help again as it gets closer. Thank you.

I think I understand now. If I pay in cash on the day, then we will probably get the room for considerably less than if I left it on my credit card. That really sounds fishy. Someone is making money somewhere because so many are like me and don't understand this or have someone help to explain it. I will ask for your help again as it gets closer. Thank you.

This will be my 1st trip to BA but as I understand it the government appears to be the winner by giving 5 pesos per $1 while it's being exchanged at 8 pesos per $1 in the real world. Thus tourists getting 5p/$1 in reality are losing about 40%...is that correct 'pmacher61'??? Thanks for your help to understand how things work currently & with a 30% inflationary rate wonder what it'll be when we arrive in February...if only I had an accurate 'crystal ball'! :eek:

Archived