Today's Version of 'Is It Worth It'

Yes, I have a firm understanding that value is relative. But I am having a hard time of live with it or leave it.

Oct 2018 Cruise from NYC to Bermuda on the Escape.We booked this last week and just realized that it only has essentially a day and a half in port as it arrives at 5:00PM on Wednesday (Halloween) and leaves at 3:00PM on Friday. We didn't look close enough and just ASSumed it was your typical 2.5 days in Bermuda.

My other half likes the ship. Likes exploring the specialty dining, shows, comedy, etc. As you can tell by my signature I love Bermuda. Lovely island, lovely people, great weather. My heart is telling me 'just go, it's vacation' but my head is telling me for the amount that we are spending it is a too much to be at sea for 5 days.

Would you do it?

Yes, I have a firm understanding that value is relative. But I am having a hard time of live with it or leave it.

Oct 2018 Cruise from NYC to Bermuda on the Escape.We booked this last week and just realized that it only has essentially a day and a half in port as it arrives at 5:00PM on Wednesday (Halloween) and leaves at 3:00PM on Friday. We didn't look close enough and just ASSumed it was your typical 2.5 days in Bermuda.

My other half likes the ship. Likes exploring the specialty dining, shows, comedy, etc. As you can tell by my signature I love Bermuda. Lovely island, lovely people, great weather. My heart is telling me 'just go, it's vacation' but my head is telling me for the amount that we are spending it is a too much to be at sea for 5 days.

Would you do it?

You are still having two nights in Bermuda and basically two full days plus another half day (arrival day).

Would you do it?

That's unusual for it to arrive at 5pm, isn't it? I wonder why it's so late on your sailing. Are you sure it's not a mistake?

You are still having two nights in Bermuda and basically two full days plus another half day (arrival day).

While I'll agree on paper, not sure what you can do on Halloween night after 5:00 PM. Not ideal beach time and most of the shops will be closing. I also don't consider the last day to be a full day either but that could be that we are not early risers on vacation. We have and will do it like our 6:30 AM stops in Tortola. It takes 2 hours into the excursion for us to wake up. :D

That's unusual for it to arrive at 5pm, isn't it? I wonder why it's so late on your sailing. Are you sure it's not a mistake?

It is late but unfortunately not a mistake . The itinerary the week before has the Escape getting in at 6:00PM.:eek: There are other ships in port and the Escape must wait for a berth hence the late arrival.

While I'll agree on paper, not sure what you can do on Halloween night after 5:00 PM. Not ideal beach time and most of the shops will be closing. I also don't consider the last day to be a full day either but that could be that we are not early risers on vacation. We have and will do it like our 6:30 AM stops in Tortola. It takes 2 hours into the excursion for us to wake up. :D

Think it would be cool to be there on Halloween night. I've read that there are a lot of Halloween parties in the pubs.

Only downside I see is the weather may not be too warm.

This post prompted me to check the itinerary for my May 2019 cruise to Bermuda on the Epic and happy to say that we get into port at 8 am Wednesday. From now on I am checking the itinerary for the ports closely on future bookings. Maybe the OP can go trick or treating. :evilsmile:

Based on the fact that the Bermuda itineraries seem to be considerably higher priced than others, I would want to make sure I'd get to see /do what I wanted when I was there, otherwise it might not be worth the premium. We have been 3x and planning a 4th, and love it as well. If we were going to be on a shortened itinerary, we may reconsider and book a cruise somewhere else for less $.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

This post prompted me to check the itinerary for my May 2019 cruise to Bermuda on the Epic and happy to say that we get into port at 8 am Wednesday. From now on I am checking the itinerary for the ports closely on future bookings. Maybe the OP can go trick or treating. :evilsmile:

I double checked our Escape trip for June 2019 as well. 8am. I personally would not book knowing the ship doesn't arrive until 5pm. That's an entire day wasted.

OP, I am not sure you've joined and read some of the comments & thoughts on this specific Roll Call yet ... you should, even if you do not plan to participate and be active with the group.

This specific Bermuda "run" was originally slated to go to PC, GSC & Nassau - the Bahamas "milky" route instead - NCL made the change, for whatever reasons, around early Feb. this year & notified all those that are already booked - final payment, for basic stateroom categories is due June 30th ... sooner for Havens/suites, etc. It's not too late to re-consider, cancel and/or move your booking ... it is a bummer. Bermuda is a favorite destination for us, and we've done it in April, May, September & October over the years.

NCL, I am sure, didn't planned this to have us on a donut run around the coral reef barriers to admire the islands on Halloween until close to sundown. The problem is that other ships were already scheduled to be in Dockyard & confirmed/claimed both berths - obviously, not even the Dawn can get into the shallower harbor of Hamilton, never mind St. George. Tendering is pretty much, out of the question with 4,500+ passengers. One of the ships is scheduled to leave at 4 pm local time and once they cleared the channel, the Escape is good to go it.

There will be activities & parties at Dockyard that night, for sure, in addition to whatever happenings on the ship at the pier. Late evening transportation returning to the ship is going to the challenge - sharing a taxi-van ride back is one of the option, the other one being - an evening tour ? with pickup & dropoff, whether it's via NCL's shorex (most likely, premium priced) or private ones with local guides directly.

Scratching heads, I know ... not happy about it, I fully agreed - still thinking and might cancel & move the booking to a different ship, itinerary or do something entirely different instead.

The other remote possibility is what if ... being late in the hurricane season (but not officially ending until Nov. 30th) - there's always a possibility of a Nor-Easter or coastal storm that will wreck & ruin the best plans and itinerary ... heading north to get away from a storm & visit Halifax or Bar Harbor in early November aren't going to make us happy cruisers either.

Escape returned to NYC on Marathon Sunday (yes, oops - that's a headache too) for disembarkation and return/resume its Florida/Bahamas run again, just like the week before. We are looking at this as a possible B2B, if we can seize a last minute booking deal - by combing it together, and just enjoy & check out the "new" ship being added to NY --- the ports & itineraries aren't great but it's still a nice vacation to cruise for not one week, but possibly for 2 weeks. For those with the time, flexibility and finances to wing it - I am it's being "considered" - just throwing this curve ball out.

Lots to take in - putting the various elements into perspective.

Would you do it?

I would cancel. Why? I hate sea days and plan my cruises around anticipated ports. If I wanted to book for the ship then I would stay with this reservation.

i love Bermuda just as much as you probably do. I would not do this. ive been 4x and STILL find new things to do there. i would want more island time. That's actually why we always sail from NYC rather than the Boston run, despite living 30 minutes from teh Boston pier. NYC gives you more time/better days in port there.

I too am having doubts about the shortened time in Bermuda and then having to deal with the NYC Marathon upon our return.:o:o:o:(:(:( You would think they would offer a better price for the sailing due to the shorter time we will actually be in Bermuda!

Also, hearing rumors of the regular ferry service to St. George ending by the time we arrive as well as the NCL ferry service to St. George may not be running due to problems that have been ongoing.

It is Bermuda and you are supposed to be able to combine the $50 per cabin per port shore excursion credit unlike on other regular sailings. Also, I am hoping NCL does a good job with Halloween on board. We were on RCL last year and had a great Halloween sailing.

If they want to send us to another part of the Caribbean instead, I would have no problem with that.

MARAPRINCE

If they want to send us to another part of the Caribbean instead, I would have no problem with that.

MARAPRINCE

Excuse the correction but I don't believe Bermuda is in the Caribbean.

OP, I am not sure you've joined and read some of the comments & thoughts on this specific Roll Call yet ... you should, even if you do not plan to participate and be active with the group.

This specific Bermuda "run" was originally slated to go to PC, GSC & Nassau - the Bahamas "milky" route instead - NCL made the change, for whatever reasons, around early Feb. this year & notified all those that are already booked - final payment, for basic stateroom categories is due June 30th ... sooner for Havens/suites, etc. It's not too late to re-consider, cancel and/or move your booking ... it is a bummer. Bermuda is a favorite destination for us, and we've done it in April, May, September & October over the years.

NCL, I am sure, didn't planned this to have us on a donut run around the coral reef barriers to admire the islands on Halloween until close to sundown. The problem is that other ships were already scheduled to be in Dockyard & confirmed/claimed both berths - obviously, not even the Dawn can get into the shallower harbor of Hamilton, never mind St. George. Tendering is pretty much, out of the question with 4,500+ passengers. One of the ships is scheduled to leave at 4 pm local time and once they cleared the channel, the Escape is good to go it.

There will be activities & parties at Dockyard that night, for sure, in addition to whatever happenings on the ship at the pier. Late evening transportation returning to the ship is going to the challenge - sharing a taxi-van ride back is one of the option, the other one being - an evening tour ? with pickup & dropoff, whether it's via NCL's shorex (most likely, premium priced) or private ones with local guides directly.

Scratching heads, I know ... not happy about it, I fully agreed - still thinking and might cancel & move the booking to a different ship, itinerary or do something entirely different instead.

The other remote possibility is what if ... being late in the hurricane season (but not officially ending until Nov. 30th) - there's always a possibility of a Nor-Easter or coastal storm that will wreck & ruin the best plans and itinerary ... heading north to get away from a storm & visit Halifax or Bar Harbor in early November aren't going to make us happy cruisers either.

Escape returned to NYC on Marathon Sunday (yes, oops - that's a headache too) for disembarkation and return/resume its Florida/Bahamas run again, just like the week before. We are looking at this as a possible B2B, if we can seize a last minute booking deal - by combing it together, and just enjoy & check out the "new" ship being added to NY --- the ports & itineraries aren't great but it's still a nice vacation to cruise for not one week, but possibly for 2 weeks. For those with the time, flexibility and finances to wing it - I am it's being "considered" - just throwing this curve ball out.

Lots to take in - putting the various elements into perspective.

Thank you for the context. I thought it was odd that it was doing this summer in Bermuda switching to the Bahamas run and then going back to Bermuda.

The Marathon is another caveat. We've been caught in a bike race and other races in NYC but this seems like the impact would be huge. We would be using a car service to NJ to pick up our car at the hotel and driving back to Massachusetts. Sigh.

Decisions, decisions.

To the OP, have you considered just doing a land trip to Bermuda instead? If you really love Bermuda and not-so-much the sea days, seems like the best solution! Flights non-stop on Delta from Boston are only about $320 r/t and hotels drop their prices pretty significantly on 11/1. I've been to Bermuda several times and it's so easy from Boston (or NY)...2 hr flight and you're on the beach by lunchtime! Happy Planning! Lynne

I too am having doubts about the shortened time in Bermuda and then having to deal with the NYC Marathon upon our return.:o:o:o:(:(:( You would think they would offer a better price for the sailing due to the shorter time we will actually be in Bermuda!

Also, hearing rumors of the regular ferry service to St. George ending by the time we arrive as well as the NCL ferry service to St. George may not be running due to problems that have been ongoing.

It is Bermuda and you are supposed to be able to combine the $50 per cabin per port shore excursion credit unlike on other regular sailings. Also, I am hoping NCL does a good job with Halloween on board. We were on RCL last year and had a great Halloween sailing.

MARAPRINCE

We did the Dawn last fall over Halloween and it was so much fun. Costume Contest on the deck and a party all night. It was the night we left Bermuda and a great time was had by all.

It is Bermuda and you are supposed to be able to combine the $50 per cabin per port shore excursion credit unlike on other regular sailings.

MARAPRINCE

nope. its $50 per cabin per day in Bermuda. you cannot combine it for $150.

the NCL ferry is nice...but the 2 day bus and ferry pass means you can take the regular bermuda ferry as well as the busses. we always do this.

We booked the Oct 28th sailing because our extended family out will be there as well. I've never been to Bermuda but we got such a great deal. Kids sail free, free taxes, pre paid grats and $100 OBC. I've been on Escape last year and fell in love with it. I'll make the best of the short time we have on the island. There's a ton to do on the ship.

Depending what you wanted to do in Bermuda would help with the decision. I'm glad I read your thread because I wouldn't think to check the times since every cruise I've been on to Bermuda were longer days.