Poll: Do you take your kid's out of school...

Bahamma mamma

I think it's selfish and not teaching the kids much about responsibilty and how important schooling is. The kids over here get so much vacation time during the year that it should not even be a consideration. And don't tell me about writing reports and stuff, the kids get enough time of take them then.

I have never taken my kids out of school. I imagine kids will have make up work to do, depending on the age. I dont think the teachers look well upon it, but its really not their choice. I had a friend who took their 14 and 10 year old out to go to Hawaii, they had homework to do on their vacation, but they managed and the teachers dealt with it. If my kids were younger, in grammer school still, I would do it, I didnt know the joy of cruising until much later:(. I have two sons in HS, and one still in grammer school, I choose to cruise during their breaks or summer with the kids. We will be cruising on their spring break 4/2.

I was just wondering how many people actually take their kid's out of school to get the cheaper rates. If you do, how do their teachers react?

Easy to do when they are young - we did it once during march break (by accident got the dates mixed up ) but they were kidergarten to gr 2 - Cant really do it when they are in higher grades b/c I think they miss too much work and have to do major assignments in lieu of tests

In November of 2003 I took my three boys (who were in Elementary School) out of school for 2 days to go on a cruise. It was right before the Thanksgiving break so I didn't have any problem with it. They had all the work they would miss done before we left and my oldest son had to give a report about the whole trip. While in the bahamas going to Blue Lagoon Island my sons learned a LOT about the islands and even traded money with the boat captin! My son didn't get a "grade" on the report but it was a great experience for him to share with his classmates. His teacher enjoyed his report, and he enjoyed telling everyone all the neat little things he had seen/learned. I looked at it like, I have to work "X" amount of time to earn my vacation time from work so they had to earn (by having good grades and all missed class work done) the days off school. I would do it again.

Well it depends This year we are cruising during spring break but we will have to take the kids out one day early due to traveling so they will miss the day before spring break (no big deal). Last year they missed 1 day apon the return from our cruise ...also from the travel day because we couldn't get flights out, I don't think this is a big problem. Now my kids would have to have very good marks to take a week or two off to go on a cruise and miss school. It all depend on your kids and what they can handle :)

I am taking my DD out of school for a week in late April to take advantage of the drop in cruise fares after spring break. She is in Kindergarten though, and according to her teacher is far ahead of the rest of the kids in her class, so she isn't going to be at all behind by missing a week. Also she is in private school, so I will pay the same tuition for April that I always do - it's not like a public school where the school's income is based upon student attendance, so they are fine with her missing a week.

If she were older, and/or struggling in class, I think I would make a different decision though.

This really belongs as a family decision. My kids are grown and if I had to do it all over again, I would have taken them out periodically. There is so much time wasted in a typical school day that if you condensed the work missed in grammar school, it can be done on the plane to or from your destination. High school is a different matter. If the kids are in honors classes they could miss so much that it would be hard to catch up. Also, some of the high school teachers could give F's for exams missed unlss for illness. Family time is very important and sometimes parents vacations don't coincide with the school calendar. Responsibility is taught in all sorts of ways. A few school days missed really doesn't matter in the bigger picture when the kids are young.

I have taken my son (8) out for a few days each year. We live in a small town where the teachers actually encourage it. My son has a form of autism so it is nice for him to get a short break ( the teacher too) Yes he does go to a public shool and is high functioning. They feel that trips like this you can learn stuff too so they are fine with it.

I do plan on dates that will minimize the impact like next Feb his school is closed on the Fri and Mon of our cruise so he will miss 4 days. I wont do this once he is past 5th or 6th grade, then we will have to do summer cruises, which seem a waste as they are so much more expensive plus it is hot here why go somewhere hotter

I have to agree with Pisces11 (us Pisces think alike). I really didn't want to take my son (11th grade) out of school, but the cruise I recently booked happens to fall 1/2 on school vacation and 1/2 during school days. What are you going to do? Things happen. I think the younger they are the easier it is, but as long as his grades are OK and he hasn't missed many days then what's the big deal? Life's too short. Enjoy the time you have with your kids!!

I always laugh at this question. My oldest son who was gifted missed more school to "represent the school" at academic functions (math testing competitions, science competitions, knowledge bowl etc) in high school than sick days. The same goes for things like PomPom competitions at Disney World that our middle school just missed 3 school days to attend.

Guess if the "school" deems it is worthy....then it is ok. Heaven forbid that a "parent" decide what is best for their child. Guess missing school for "pompom" doesn't teach the child the wrong message...since the school said it was ok.

As in all things, being responsible is key.

I've taken my boys out for up to a week when they were 8th grade and under. They are good students and were able to make up work on the drive to and from Florida.

However, high school is another story. We don't take them out now...and we cruise at the only time their sports don't interfere now, which is Easter. And our upcoming cruise, yes, we are paying the most we have ever paid for a cruise!

I have to pipe in here. My wife and I have pretty strong feelings that when our 2 year old starts school our off season vacations will stop and we will just have to grin and bear it.

I don't have a problem with one or two days missed for travel but an entire week does, IMHO, seem to send the wrong message to the child about the priority of education. There are far too many other distractions to schoolchildren today that diminishes the priority of education without Dad and Mom adding to it.

I'm sorry if anyone finds that offensive; however, it is just my opinion.

I think it's selfish and not teaching the kids much about responsibilty and how important schooling is....the kids get enough time of take them then.

Our kids are great students and one of the lessons we've chosen to teach them is that you can do a lot of fun things - as long as you're prepared to work for it.

So yeah, we have taken them out for a whole week to cruise. Some of the circumstances would qualify as a good reasons - but saving enough money to go again is good enough for us. Our kids make it a point to have even better grades when they've missed time - they want to cruise again to.

I always laugh at this question. My oldest son who was gifted missed more school to "represent the school" at academic functions (math testing competitions, science competitions, knowledge bowl etc) in high school than sick days. The same goes for things like PomPom competitions at Disney World that our middle school just missed 3 school days to attend.

Guess if the "school" deems it is worthy....then it is ok. Heaven forbid that a "parent" decide what is best for their child. Guess missing school for "pompom" doesn't teach the child the wrong message...since the school said it was ok.

As in all things, being responsible is key.

good point! I havent had that"issue" and probably never will :) Like I said I try to minimize the days (hence the responsible part) that he is gone if I can but I dont think 5 ays missed from school once a year is going to have a negative impact on his grades etc

I don’t see the poll, but I don’t do it for the better rates. I do it as the time is better for all.

Never even thought about it until I went on a cruise, and a teacher was on a bus with us on our way to the ship (I, of course, was the fool at 8th grade graduation bestowed the MOST DAYS ATTENDED FOR 8 YEARS award). She says all her kids do it; it was time for her to do it.

We told the school we were doing it, and they didn’t flinch. They even assisted in giving us her lesson plan for the week.

I agree with some that has been said, but alot i disagree with. I think it is more a personal family decision. To the poster who said it was "selfish", i think it is wrong to lump all familys who do this into the same category, that being selfishness. People raise their children in different ways, what i see as acceptable, you may not, and vice-versa. I have no kids, however, i was raised in a family, that did take me out of school for vacation once a year. I made good grades in school, am grown up now with a good head on my shoulders, what harm did it do?......

We are all different and that is what makes the world a great place. If you are always afraid of the consequences of your actions and never take a plunge, what are you actually teaching your kids?......

I am more for teaching the children of our world that it is ok to take risks, just know what the possible consequences could be and be prepared to deal with them and change your ways if all is not well.

Happy Cruising everyone!

I have to pipe in here. My wife and I have pretty strong feelings that when our 2 year old starts school our off season vacations will stop and we will just have to grin and bear it.

I don't have a problem with one or two days missed for travel but an entire week does, IMHO, seem to send the wrong message to the child about the priority of education. There are far too many other distractions to schoolchildren today that diminishes the priority of education without Dad and Mom adding to it.

I'm sorry if anyone finds that offensive; however, it is just my opinion.

shut up please. when your kid gets in school and you have an understanding -- we'll talk.

Our eldest DD just started HS. Now, we are limiting our vacations -- really too much to miss. Until this year, we always pulled our kids out for a week per year. We have traveled the country (and cruised) and they have always learned more. Want a good lesson: get stuck across the country on 9/11/2001. We rented a car, drove 2300 miles home and LEARNED about freedom and the people of our country. Want history.... stop at Gettysburg or in DC for a few hours (or maybe even a day or two). They will live history not just read about it. Going thru Port Canaveral -- stop for a few hours in the space center -- you'll give your kid an appreication for science that he/she will never get out of a book.

We're lucky I guess -- we teach our children DAILY the importance of education. We sit down everyday to review their school day and make sure homework is completed. More importantly, we discuss critical thinking -- they don't get this in school anymore. The teachers must teach the standardized tests.

If you are active in your kids education -- take them out by all means -- they probably are getting great grades and they will learn more from you and real life on vacation then they will in a classroom. Check with the teachers and principal -- make sure no laws are being violated and

MAKE MEMORIES WITH YOUR KIDS!!

This really belongs as a family decision. My kids are grown and if I had to do it all over again, I would have taken them out periodically. There is so much time wasted in a typical school day that if you condensed the work missed in grammar school, it can be done on the plane to or from your destination. High school is a different matter. If the kids are in honors classes they could miss so much that it would be hard to catch up. Also, some of the high school teachers could give F's for exams missed unlss for illness. Family time is very important and sometimes parents vacations don't coincide with the school calendar. Responsibility is taught in all sorts of ways. A few school days missed really doesn't matter in the bigger picture when the kids are young.

I agree with you Pisces! Very well said! Me and my 9 yr old are taking a well-deserved trip in 30 days or so. Now I feel even better about taking him out of school for a few extra days before spring break.;)

School exists for the benefit of our children - not the other way around. I have taken my children out for a few days at a time here and there for family stuff, and I feel fine about it. My children are 4.0 students (or nearly so) and love school. But family is infinitely more important than school.

On this cruise, I picked spring break so they don't miss as much school, but I wouldn't have felt guilty picking another time.

We booked a 12 night Eastern Med. cruise last March for this April. I thought I had timed it so that one of the weeks we'd be gone would be Spring break. I missed it, which I didn't realize until early summer. I was really upset, but thought I'd wait and speak with DS's 2nd grade teacher in the fall. We don't get teacher assignments here until August.

Then, at the beginning of the year, when they handed out the calendars, I saw that they were doing the state-mandated testing while we were to be away. (This is the first year they are testing in 2nd grade - it's apparently an attempt to familiarize the children with standardized testing before the 3rd grade one which is, apparently, the one that "counts".) At this point, I was fairly sure it would be a no go. But our final payment wasn't due until December, and I let it ride.

Finally, right after Thanksgiving break, I screwed up my courage and made an appointment with DS's teacher. I felt I should at least ask, and if I got any resistance or she felt it was not a good idea, I'd cancel before the final payment due date.

I went in with a layout of all the places we'd be visiting (Rome, Venice, Pisa, Lucca, Capri in Italy; Rhodes, Athens and Olympia in Greece; and Ephesus and Istanbul in Turkey) and what we'd be seeing (the Colloseum, the Pantheon, and the Parthenon for starters). I had a list of books he could read (on Ancient Rome, Greek Mythology, etc.) and some projects we could do, like building a model of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. I almost needn't have bothered. As soon as she heard where we were going, she was all but talking me into it. I kept saying, but what about this. She kept saying, don't worry about it.

She basically said that, while there is no way you can recapture missed classroom time, she also said that this sort of experience is also important. Because they had never tested in 2nd grade before, at my request, she spoke to the principal. We got her blessing as well.

I really sweated the whole missing school thing. On the other hand, I couldn't see doing this trip, and experiencing all that we will, with two small children (4 & 8) in July or August. I think it would be just too hot, and we'd end up spending more time on a beach than exploring the ancient sites.

Who knows if we've made the right decision? I think that this, like many other parenting decisions, will have to be tested by time.

I'm a military brat. My parents took my brother, sister and I out of school to vacation, and travel. I found it to be an enriching experience to be able to learn about one thing, then be able to see it for myself. As long as out grades were up, my parents had no problem taking us from school. Sometimes you have to decided is paying $1000 per person worth it, or is it? My children, when I have them, will be getting the same choice, either way, if you make your travel a learning experience, there is nothign you loose.

Archived