Getting to Iguazu Falls

Cruiser Cats

We're booked on the Princess Star South America/Antarctica cruise deaparting from Buenos Aires in Jan 2009. We will be flying in from Los Angeles (LAX), and would like to do a quick trip to Iguazu Falls. (I still am working, so can't add too much extra time onto our trip.)

I would appreciate any advice regarding where to fly into from LAX--Buenos Aires or Rio, and if we should be able to book a flight that same day. I understand the flights leave out of the domestic airport--but what airlines?

We plan on just going to Argentinean side of the falls, but I assume we will still need two nights hotel? Or does anyone recommend one night in Buenos Aires/Rio after we land from LAX, an early morning flight to Iguazu, and only one night there?

I have a room at the Sheraton Iguazu Falls booked, but would love to hear any other recommendations from folks who have done this trip in 2 days! Let me know if there are any tour companies you could recommend to make the arrangements for me.

Thanks!

we're doing Igusau a little differently.We've talked to a few friends who have been there and we're flying up and back the same day. You can fly early in the morning and return in evening from Buenos Aires on either Aero Linas Argentinas or Lan. If you fly from Rio you will need a Brazilian visa. We booked the flights on the web and arranged a private guide to pick us up at the airport take us on the tour all day and return to the airport for our return flight to BA at substantially lower prices than cruise tours. If you are planning to go the day you arrive from LAX, you may want to take an afternoon flight and return the next day in order to get a reasonable experience.

If you plan on only seeing the Argentinian side then I would suggest you go from BA and avoid the need for a Brazilian visa. It is also a shorter flight from BA. We took Aerolineas Argentinas from BA and did one night at the Sheraton. Staying at the Sheraton greatly enhances your ability to see Iguazu efficiently. Now we only had one night available to us since we were still on our cruise at the time and had an overnighter in BA. But we were able to do the Upper and Lower, Devils Throat, and Zodiac ride in a morning and afternoon. Keep in mind SA airlines are notoriously late so a same day flight is a real risk. Two nights would be more relaxed but one night is doable. Iguazu is definitely a must do before you die experience.

Dabear - we too are going on a south american cruise in January 2009 - 17th ( I think) we are flying to BA for 3 days precruise - we also fancy the falls and we were hoping to do it in a day - We are flying from the UK on the 13th and have 3 nights - so not the first day but possibly the next would be good.

Could you let me have details of how you booked it - web and email address etc.

Thank you

Helen

We did the trip in December/07 before Infinity. We stayed one night in BA after a long flight from Vancouver. The next morning we took LAN airline at 7:15 am to Iguazu Falls. We stayed at Sheraton Iguazu and it was worth to stay there for 1 night.

I will really recommand to book LAN between BA and Iguazu. Zodiac ride is great fun.

holidayhelen: we're going in february, 2008 and will report our experience. Most of our info is in my office and can send the details to you Monday. From what I recall, flights from BA are from the domestic airport located a short distance from the center of town. We talked to a few friends who did both overnight and 1 day in Igusau and thought that 1 day suited us. We explored air fares and schedules and then used the AR web site directly taking the 1st flight out at 7:50am & returning around 5pm-6:50pm in BA. Lan had a very early flight ( 7 or 7:15am) to Igusau but their return flight was around 8pm arriving around 10pm in BA, which we thought was too late. We are using Defranco tours both in BA and Igusau where they will pick us up at the airport, tour all day incl the zodiac ride and take us back to the airport. Let me know if you want the specifics.

LAN in Argentina is like TAM in Brazil: LATE! We were 5 hours late leaving the falls and missed a tango show we had booked. Just be aware and plan accordingly.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that you absolutely must protect your camera from getting wet. A friend just had hers ruined last month at the falls on the zodiac ride. Some of the vendors supply bags with tops that fold down and these are very secure, others seem to just supply something like a plastic baggie.

You'll truly enjoy the falls; they're a spectacular sight.

LAN in Argentina is like TAM in Brazil: LATE! We were 5 hours late leaving the falls and missed a tango show we had booked. Just be aware and plan accordingly.

You'll truly enjoy the falls; they're a spectacular sight.

5 hours...WOW! I have booked my air with Aero. Argentinas. Is their reputation as bad as Lan?

Is US$ widely accepted in SA Cruise ports and Iguazzu?

We are also doing it a little differently. WE are leaving this Feb and will be disembarking in BA from a Princess cruise and arranged everything with Carlos of Private tours. He will pick us up at the pier, he got us the tickets on Aerolinas for less than I would have, got us the hotel Sheraton for less than I could have for one night and gave us the name of a private tour guide for the falls. WE are also leaving our big suitcases with the Hotel Carlyle before we take our flight. We are staying one night and leaving around 5PM the next day. We are only doing the Argentina side to avoid getting a visa for Brazil.

So you certainly have options.

Yes, I have heard how late the flights can be. Ugh!!! Fortunately when we come back we have no plans for that night except to eat.

We are leaving from LA on Monday for our cruise from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. (Delta LA-ATL-Santiago) We are taking a post-cruise trip to Iguazu Falls... two nights at the Sheraton. We booked it all through an Argentinian Travel agency- WOW. When I asked about late flights, they said on any given day either LAN or AA can have delays. Luggage is limited on the flights to Iguazzu so if you have some big bags for the cruise, you might find a place to store them for the trip to the falls. We are leaving ours at the hotel in Buenos Aires because we will be returning there for one night after the trip to the falls.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that you absolutely must protect your camera from getting wet. A friend just had hers ruined last month at the falls on the zodiac ride. Some of the vendors supply bags with tops that fold down and these are very secure, others seem to just supply something like a plastic baggie.

The zodiac ride at Iguazu is a bit different than the "Maid of the Mist". I was really surprised when the driver went right under one of the smaller falls several times and completely drenched us.

The zodiac ride was definitely a highlight for me. I knew that I would be wet and chose to sit in the front row. Totally drenched even though I had a poncho on. Be certain to cover any good camera that you have. I chose to use a disposable waterproof camera and got some fantastic photos.

It is very warm there and the climb (by stairs) was difficult for me as I have a walking disability. I dried on the way up as I went slowly. Even though I was in a great deal of pain, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

BTW Iguassu Falls are to Niagara Falls as the boat ride here is to the "Maid of the Mist." Enjoy your time at this incredible site.

Fran

I don't know what happened...seems like it posted a reply after every word I was keying. Yikes!

Any way, thanks for all of the info. Terpla and Dabear, I'd love to get details on how to contact the travel agents you used to book the trip. Sounds like maybe we should fly into BA, spend one night there (and have them hold a bag for us), then fly to the falls and stay one night.

Can't wait to hear about everyone's adventures!

We did this exact itin in 2005.

We arrived in BA 3 days before our cruise departed.

We used Carlos at Private Tours. He was the best. Picked us up at the airport, toured the city, etc.

Iguazi is spectacular. We used Oliveira in Iguazu ( recommended by Carlos) He was worth the money. Yes, you can do the Falls by yourself, easily, but he is worth every penny. We stayed overnight at the Sheraton. This was a very good idea and a very good hotel and restaurant.

BTW, if you take the zodiac into the Falls you will get drenched, no matter what precautions you take, so we were glad we were staying over at the Sheraton, so we could hurry back to the hotel to change into dry clothes.

We flew Aerolina Argentina and we were late arriving in Iguazu and about 5 hours late returning to BA. As the other poster sadly stated, we too arrived back in BA too late for our Tango reservations and missed it entirely.

Don't plan on any evening activities the night you are supposed to return to BA. You may be disappointed.

We have friends who attempted to do it in one day, however, if the planes are late, you have a problelm. On our flight to Iguazu, our flight was about 2 hours late and we noticed passengers leaving the terminal who tried to make the trip in one day. U cannot rely on their airlines.

Iguazu falls is one of the best wonders of the world. It is spectacular!

I just came back from the Falls last week. I was at the Sheraton one night (Sunday night). I had Aerolineas booked originally but I heard such awful things that I decided to switch to LAN. I lost a few hundred, but it turned out to be worth it because LAN was on the dot both ways (1pm flight to the Falls, 2pm flight back the next day). I tried to check the board on the AA flight, and it seemed that the flight from BA was right behind us but that the flight going back Monday was late as of when we departed. (My flight back to the US from BA was Monday night, and we wanted to see BA that afternoon too).

Indeed, the zodiac ride is a must. I have never experienced (nor did I expect) something like that. Maid of the Mist has nothing on what they do :-)

Make the most of your time, and make sure you do each of the superior, inferior and Devils Throat walks. I arrived at 2pm Sunday; we first did the zodiac, which involves the lower walk. Then we did the superior upper walk, getting back in time for some wildlife/bird spotting before the part closes around 630. The next morning we were up and ready by 8, and did the superior walk again to see parrots and parakeets up close, and then did Devils Throat before having lunch and catching our 2pm flight.

I wish I had more time there but we definitely made the most of our time. We had a guide the whole time, and if you need a recommendation I can send it to you. He was very good pointing out the birds and wildlife by species and knowing where to look. Even got to see toucans the next morning.

Did the airline you flew to/from Iguazu have baggage weight restrictions and were they heavily enforced? We are taking a Princess cruise-tour Rio-Iguazu-BA and were told that on one flight (Iguazu to BA) we'd be charged fees for anything more than 1 33 lb checked bag per person and 1 6lb carry-on. Rio to Iguazu restriction was slightly better at 44 lb checked bag and 11 lb carry on.

For checked luggage down there, the limit for a single item is 23 kg which is about 50 lbs. Also, for carry on, one carry on item does not count an item you can fit under the seat, so you can really have two items even three if they fit, as we had. The two of us checked two items each and one of them weighed in at about 22kg on the way back, including to the Falls. I did not notice any specific restriction on going to Iguazu but I could be wrong.

I've been really worried about the luggage weight allowance to Iguassu via Tam, which looks like one bag 44 pds. Of course, we have more luggage than that, as we are traveling for a month and need both winter and summer clothes. All of our flights are "open jawed" meaning we can't leave luggage behind. Do you have any idea how they charged for overweight and extra bags? If it's a flat rate, I guess I don't have to be as careful. If the overage is charged by the pd/kg, I'll still try to keep it minimized. Thanks in advance. Kathi

BP

tried posting earlier, but thecomputer ate my post.

Could you give me the contact info for your guide in Iguazu and also for any driver/guide who gave you the afternnon tour of BA on your way to the airport?

Also, did you get any feeling about visiting the Brazilian side? We don't mind getting the visas and staying an extra night, but do you wish you had done it?

Thanks.

Yes, I would have loved to have gone to the Brazilian side if time and easy permitted. You also have to have a yellow fever shot. To get there, I believe you need to travel out of the park to the city if Iguazu to get across. But others can weigh in on that.

I wanted to message you about the guide. My email address is Benjamin.Cooper@erau.edu.

For checked luggage down there, the limit for a single item is 23 kg which is about 50 lbs. Also, for carry on, one carry on item does not count an item you can fit under the seat, so you can really have two items even three if they fit, as we had. The two of us checked two items each and one of them weighed in at about 22kg on the way back, including to the Falls. I did not notice any specific restriction on going to Iguazu but I could be wrong.

Ben, were you flying from BA to Iguassu, or from Rio, or both (one way each)? And which airline did you use to/from Iguassu? Thanks so much!

Archived