Review: MSC Magnifica 2 nights. A comedy of errors.

little britain

"I understand that some Black Card members feel as though they have 'earned' their card, through many years of MSC cruises. During that toil, you may have come quite accustomed to this sort of service. Indeed some of you are even defending it."

Those who have earned their Black card status used to receive better service, only since the status match do many of the crew now see it as oh just another Black card!

I would like to see the figures for just how many of the status match people have actually booked again after a first cruise as status match.

MSC issued me with a Black Card to try and tempt me over from Norwegian. Their decision to do this seems to have been quite contentious amongst cruisers who obtained theirs in other ways, but to me it seems like a brilliant way to get experienced cruisers to sample the MSC product. Regardless of how the card (or indeed the cruise fare itself!) was obtained, we all have one now - if you have a complaint about that I suggest you add it at the bottom of the list.

Several of the benefits, I noticed, are unavailable on 3-night sailings. I wrote to the status match department to ask if they would apply on this cruise. Roxanne wrote back: Since this is a 2-night sailing, the exclusions that apply to a 3-night sailing do not apply, and all of the benefits will be available.

Obviously, like much else that wasn't delivered on this cruise, neither was this promise. I took Roxanne's email to reception, and the benefits were eventually delivered - but as an NCL cruiser I'm not used to having to 'chase' staff to fulfil their promises. I'm just happy that they were delivered at a reasonable time, and not 0300hrs!

Whilst that may be your preference, as an NCL cruiser I'm not one for elbows. The concierge takes care of everything.

Two points, it clearly states in the brochure and website that the benefits dont apply to cruises of less than 4 nights, you decided to ring and ask a stupid question which you clearly knew was vexatious as you then took a printout of the email. If it says less than 4 nights then 2 nights is less!

If you travel in the Haven this experience isnt on Magnifica but is on the new ships, im sure if you had tried MSC yacht club then you would enjoy the MSC equivalent service level.

We tried NCL and was horrified with the queues all over the ship, lack of drinks service, having to hand over one card per drink, the food was awful and it was very unclean. We were pleased to get off that Epic failure like you on Magnifica. It just goes to show how subjective cruising is.

hmmmmmmmm I have a feeling many Black card members with all these expected lovely privileges may not have become Black card members from sailing with MSC ??????
It strikes me that some are also the more vocal when not getting what they deem they're "entitled" to, LOL!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I would like to see the figures for just how many of the status match people have actually booked again after a first cruise as status match.

This was my 3rd MSC cruise in 6 months out of 4, so I had definitely re-booked. They almost had won me over.

So many people falling out over a chocolate ship lol

....and I bet if your chocolate ship wasn't delivered you would be first in line asking for it.

You obviously have not bothered to read my post correctly as we received 4 chocolate ships, (so another error by MSC giving us more than we were entitled to receive :rolleyes:) and the 4 chocolate ships were not even a model of Magnifica, but models of Musica (so a failure by MSC to supply and deliver the correct chocolate model ship....)

It strikes me that some are also the more vocal when not getting what they deem they're "entitled" to, LOL!

It seems appropriate, to me at least, to 'be vocal' when you've been promised something and then denied it. It was my first time on MSC so I'm just not used to that sort of thing. Perhaps if I stick with MSC I'll get used to it?

Two points, it clearly states in the brochure and website that the benefits dont apply to cruises of less than 4 nights...

I wasn't referring to the privileges that are unavailable on cruises shorter than four nights (The cocktail, dance class, and party), but to the benefits that are unavailable on 'three-night, four day sailings'. It seemed like an odd system to have benefits at three distinct durations: 2-night, 3-night, and 4-or-more nights. It seems like the sort of thing that would be very hard to administrate and would cause confusion between MSC staff... and it turned out I was right:

...which you clearly knew was vexatious as you then took a printout of the email.

In light of the admin shortcomings I'd already experienced prior to the cruise, it seemed prudent to take proof of what I'd been told I would get. I'm glad I did, because the ship staff and head off staff had quite different opinions on what each other's policies are. I'm interested to see that MSC has now updated their Voyagers Ts&Cs to remove the two/three night distinction and simply state: "The order and days of allocation of the on board benefits may vary according to the duration of the cruise and the organisation of the ship and may not be disputed by members." i.e. we regularly balls this up and you're not allowed to take proof of that fact to reception.

Those who have earned their Black card status used to receive better service, only since the status match do many of the crew now see it as oh just another Black card!

That must be absolutely gutting. MSC matched our Platinum status (their middle status) for Black, MSC's highest status. I can only imagine how that must feel for the existing Black card holders.

I wouldn't worry - I don't think think many 'status' members with other lines would be very impressed with MSC Black.

Andy I think you've nailed it here, though. We all have different tastes and budgets and levels of service we're prepared to pay for. In your words:

It just goes to show how subjective cruising is.

This was my 3rd MSC cruise in 6 months out of 4, so I had definitely re-booked. They almost had won me over.

....and I bet if your chocolate ship wasn't delivered you would be first in line asking for it.

You obviously have not bothered to read my post correctly as we received 4 chocolate ships, (so another error by MSC giving us more than we were entitled to receive :rolleyes:) and the 4 chocolate ships were not even a model of Magnifica, but models of Musica (so a failure by MSC to supply and deliver the correct chocolate model ship....)

I didnt mention about the rebookers :-) i think someone else put on about a 2 nighter not being really representative and perhaps it was a mistake of MSC to market the 2 nights to so many status matched people on their first MSC cruise, although clearly you cant differentiate between old and new.

I did mention the chocolate ship, we arent that bothered really, we gave both our Meraviglia ones away and TBH i never noticed which ship it was, but isnt Musica the same class and surely 4 is better than 2, the cabin steward might have been doing it as a favour given the issues lol

I didnt mention about the rebookers :-)

I think she was replying to someone else.

i think someone else put on about a 2 nighter not being really representative and perhaps it was a mistake of MSC to market the 2 nights to so many status matched people on their first MSC cruise, although clearly you cant differentiate between old and new.

So true - after a few more nights we may have adjusted to it. I think we actually booked the other way around though: We heard about the two-nighter, and then only found our about the matching afterwards. We wouldn't have booked it if it wasn't for the matching though, so that's smart of MSC (to us, but really stupid from the point of view of existing black members) But here's the thing: I think the matching really raised our expectations: We were expecting to be treated like NCL Platinum members. We may have enjoyed it more as entry-level cruisers, without having grown used to good service.

I did mention the chocolate ship, we arent that bothered really, we gave both our Meraviglia ones away and TBH i never noticed which ship it was, but isnt Musica the same class and surely 4 is better than 2, the cabin steward might have been doing it as a favour given the issues lol

By the time the chocolate ship arrived I was so hungry I didn't care what ship it was! I don't normally eat confectionery but that night I could've eaten a chocolate Symphony Of The Seas!

We were also onboard for this 2 nighter from Hamburg, and we, as others have been, were tempted over by the status match offered by MSC.

Now let me first say that we (me & my wife) got this 2 night cruise at an insanely cheap rate...

HOWEVER, it was the worst cruise we have been on by far!! Total chaos. I found it quite worrying watching the staff being completely clueless during check in, departure, and most off the time whilst onboard. God only knows how they would all react if there was a real emergency!!

Black card privileges were non existent, other than the black card we were issued we got 0 other benefits. We did not go to guest services and request any of them, as we couldn’t be bothered to join the ridiculous queue...

I’m sure you loyal MSC cruises will be pleased to know that you have got 2 less black card members, as we won’t be sailing with MSC again. Each to their own, we will be sticking with RCI, NCL, and we will probably try some other cruise lines too.

Some positive did come out of this cruise... We did meet some great people onboard at our litttle cruise critic get together, had quite a few drinks and a real laugh discussing our experiences of MSC. 🍹🤣

#whythebobsled?

Things they got right;

- Great Pizza

- Great Coffee

- Great Gelato

If you go expecting Norwegian, it won't be what you're expecting. You'll only get that NCL experience on NCL?

I guess as well you timed how long you were at the bar (18 minutes) if that was us and noticed the bar was heaving with long waits, we just move on to the next bar - sea days are always busy. Our one time on NCL it took forever to be served on the sun deck - far more than 18 mins - not that I was timing it

Lesley re the chocolate ships, the reason you got an extra two is that they're usually delivered during one of the days, they're not in your cabin to start off with - I think something got lost in communication there.

Some positive did come out of this cruise...

Daz that get-together saved me from jumping overboard! It was like a support group (I don't know what kind of support group... not alcoholics anonymous that's for sure...)

It was nice to meet you both!

state:

Andy I think you've nailed it here, though. We all have different tastes and budgets and levels of service we're prepared to pay for. In your words:

I think you've hit the nail on the head too, most people booked this as a cheeky two nighter to see what it was like, i think everyone expects to get what they are used to thats why we wouldnt go on NCL after the terrible food and service we received there. We clearly had expections that NCL couldnt live up to, we do all have budgets and thats why we have done our first 12 MSC in 3 years, we've tried several different ships and always have the deluxe drinks package and have booked several suites and will be going on our next MSC on monday in the Yacht club, which normally beat NCL Haven hands down.

If you go expecting Norwegian, it won't be what you're expecting.

So true, I've only ever cruised NCL and I guess I've been spoiled.

I guess as well you timed how long you were at the bar (18 minutes) if that was us and noticed the bar was heaving with long waits, we just move on to the next bar - sea days are always busy.

Well I didn't notice how long I'd been waiting, only that other people were getting served straight away so I thought I'd stick it out and keep trying to catch the barmans eye. It was only when I saw that the Barca/Seville match was 18 mins in, and I'd arrived at kick-off, that I realised I needed to up my 'getting served' game and start interrupting the barman while he made other people's drinks, as everyone else was.

As I said, my complaint over the weekend isn't about that one longish wait... we've all had one of those at some point. It's about the fact that this is syndromic of the staff attitude throughout the ship. A waiter dropped a knife and put it back on the table. The staff in the speciality restaurant couldn't be bothered to get Dom a diet coke, and lied saying there wasn't any on the ship, and when I stood up to go and get one they made the effort to go and fetch it for him... But it's not each of these small things, it's the whole ship. It's really a shock, for a first timer on MSC.

support group? more like a glass of wine and whinge, was glad when it was over

You could have left at any point. I didn’t see anyone holding you back...

I’m sorry you don’t like the fact we didn’t enjoy ourselves on MSC. But that’s just life. If everyone liked the same things, the world would be a boring place.

You could have left at any point. I didn’t see anyone holding you back...

I’m sorry you don’t like the fact we didn’t enjoy ourselves on MSC. But that’s just life. If everyone liked the same things, the world would be a boring place.

I enjoyed chatting with Nicola who we're seeing again in a couple of weeks on Fantasia, and Mark who had been on the earlier cruise, it was the whining in the background - jeez is a camping kettle that bloomin important?!

I enjoyed chatting with Nicola who we're seeing again in a couple of weeks on Fantasia, and Mark who had been on the earlier cruise, it was the whining in the background - jeez is a camping kettle that bloomin important?!

So you did enjoy the get together?? I’m confused...

It seams you are clearly struggling with the fact that a lot of people were unhappy with certain aspects of their holiday. Please just remember that we are all entitled to our opinion, even if it’s different to yours. ;)

We enjoyed the meet-up very much. It takes all sorts, and it was very interesting to hear so many different opinions of the same cruise. It's such a shame that you felt you had to stay, though.

LOL we didnt speak to you thankfully and this was our first cruise critic meet up, its definitely a plus that MSC doesnt do them or friends of dorothy etc etc, like you havent already got plenty to moan about

I’m confused...

He enjoyed it, and he was glad when it was over.

I think there's a lot of negativity in this thread, but there were aspects of the cruise I enjoyed. Meeting you all at the informal meet-up was the best aspect of the cruise (even with the people who felt as if they were being forced to stay!). Our cabin was much nicer than we're used to (and it was an inside - so that's really saying something!), and our cabin steward was a real star. As others have said, it was an exceptionally well maintained ship for it's age. Overall, it was a terrible experience, but there were positives. It's very easy to list the failures because the list of them was so long, but I think it's also important to mention the positives.

It was the nicest cross-channel ferry I've been on in years.

So you did enjoy the get together?? I’m confused...

It seams you are clearly struggling with the fact that a lot of people were unhappy with certain aspects of their holiday. Please just remember that we are all entitled to our opinion, even if it’s different to yours. ;)

Hang about a minute people have commented that my thread was not the real experience and that your negative one was - you can't have it both ways that people with a negative opinion are allowed theirs but if our positive experience and opinion doesn't align with yours that we're somehow wrong?

I can appreciate there are others who didn't have as good an experience as we did - doesn't mean any of us are in the wrong. I enjoyed speaking to a few of the people - there were others who I didn't continue speaking to as their negativity was like being in a mood hoover!