Cove cafe coffee?

ACoupleAtSea

I know there is a special cold brew drip contraption in the cove cafe on the Wonder. Not sure if that’s what you’re talking about. It seems pretty fancy and they say it super strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've had the same Americano experience as Babyberger above. I have found that the MDR coffee is better than what is available at Cabanas or at the drink stations but it is still not terrific.

I'm considering packing Starbucks Via packets for my next cruise. I wish it wasn't so difficult to obtain decent coffee! I was recently on NCL Epic and had similar issues so this is not unique to DCL.

Does anyone know why the coffee in the MDR and Cabanas is so bad? In my opinion, this is one of the biggest deficiencies of DCL. It actually isn’t hard to make good coffee in large volumes, as proven by diners all across the country. The other problem is no real cream! It drives me crazy to have to use their “non-dairy “ creamers or ask for a carton of homogenized milk (to only use a tablespoon or so!). Oh well, first world problems I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 months later...
Does anyone know why the coffee in the MDR and Cabanas is so bad? In my opinion, this is one of the biggest deficiencies of DCL. It actually isn’t hard to make good coffee in large volumes, as proven by diners all across the country. The other problem is no real cream! It drives me crazy to have to use their “non-dairy “ creamers or ask for a carton of homogenized milk (to only use a tablespoon or so!). Oh well, first world problems I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lots of cruiselines serve a reconstituted coffee product where the base is some kind of syrup and they add water. I am fairly sure DCL does this.

If the ordinary ship stuffit is anything like what is served elsewhere, the coffee is brewed and put in those containers.....and it sits......and no, I dont like it either. Illy is very good, and I think it will be a good try for me. I am a coffee snob, and the Disney resort stuff that was all they had years was a very touchy subject for me. Thank goodness they have coffee carts from vendors outside the parks, and then there is also the Starbucker brand in the parks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a coffee snob too, and that DCL coffee is horrendous. I practically decaffeinate when I cruise, unwillingly. The Cove Cafe coffee is good, but I hate paying for every one. We have a Nespresso machine at home, and the $0.87 pod is much cheaper than the Cove Cafe prices.

Just read on another board about someone who brings a french press with them. They get hot water from the drink station. You can also order hot water from room service, but I'm dubious about how hot it would actually be by the time it got to me.

Surely, but at least on our MSC cruise we were in concierge and the Illy coffee was free any time we wanted one.

(Yes, concierge is more expensive, but that cruise was a small fraction of what a DCL Med cruise would have cost, even in non-concierge - but that's a whole different topic.)

Surely, but at least on our MSC cruise we were in concierge and the Illy coffee was free any time we wanted one.

(Yes, concierge is more expensive, but that cruise was a small fraction of what a DCL Med cruise would have cost, even in non-concierge - but that's a whole different topic.)

how was MSC vs DCL?

we've only been on DCL and Royal....we enjoy both, but consider DCL to be a cut above..

i've wondered how MSC is, considering how easy it is for us to get to the MSC med cruises (given that we live on the med )

The ice tea on DCL is made from concentrate everywhere except in the MDRs (where it is, or at least was fresh brewed). I just take along a large tumbler and make my own. It's a little more trouble, but I have hot water and tea bags available from the ship. And I usually get an extra glass from the MDR...and joke with the servers about the "good stuff." I MUST have my tea, and I go prepared to take care of myself....assuming that they won't be serving it properly.