Seabourn going back to the small ships?

I see from the latest cruise news SB has just signed a letter of intent for two new ships, and it looks like they are smaller too. Although they are expedition ships, I hope this spells the return of the wonderful service of the triplets, if only for those who are Antarctic explorers.

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn

They will be small but different, expedition ships, but with verandas. Not like the three sisters.

Presumably to compete with Scenic Eclipse and Crystal Endeavor and SS Cloud.

Hope Seabourn has better luck on delivery than Scenic has with the Eclipse. Our Scenic cruise was canceled, due to a five-month (!) slippage in the launch date. And the notification came out only two months before the maiden voyage. Our cruise - along with those scheduled in the first five months - were canceled. Needless to say, we were very disappointed.

Will also be interesting to see prices. Look at Crystal's Endeavour recently released prices - they better be giving something extraordinary for what they are asking. Now maybe in a few months those will turn out to be like the "brochure fares" you see vs. the real fares but from what I saw in a quick look they were pretty outrageous. There is going to be a lot of competition in that space once all these ships are delivered, e.g., multiple high-end small expedition ships from Scenic, Crystal, Ritz and now Seabourn.

Will also be interesting to see prices. Look at Crystal's Endeavour recently released prices - they better be giving something extraordinary for what they are asking. Now maybe in a few months those will turn out to be like the "brochure fares" you see vs. the real fares but from what I saw in a quick look they were pretty outrageous. There is going to be a lot of competition in that space once all these ships are delivered, e.g., multiple high-end small expedition ships from Scenic, Crystal, Ritz and now Seabourn.

Correct, and from what I see some of the itineraries are dull,dull,dull, and I certainly don't think they will attract the so called sophisticated travellers they are aimed at.

There will, in fact, be a glut of small luxury expedition ships on the market within two years. Seabourn, Crystal, Hapag Lloyd, Le Ponant, Scenic to name a few. I certain;y hope there are enough well heeled intrepid travelers out there who will keep them filled. The alternative is lower fares.

There will, in fact, be a glut of small luxury expedition ships on the market within two years. Seabourn, Crystal, Hapag Lloyd, Le Ponant, Scenic to name a few. I certain;y hope there are enough well heeled intrepid travelers out there who will keep them filled. The alternative is lower fares.

:') Good Point!

Henry well said.

At some point there will be an adjustment to the Stock Market given the history of the market which between new ships and an adjustment will make filling ships more challenging. This could mean lower pricing.

Keith

Correct, and from what I see some of the itineraries are dull,dull,dull, and I certainly don't think they will attract the so called sophisticated travellers they are aimed at.

Agreed. Nice choice of word 'sophisticated' - "having, revealing, or involving a great deal of worldly experience and knowledge of fashion and culture.". The word as per the Google dictionary.

We are only in our fourth year of cruising but we have travelled a lot on land before realising the advantages of the former. Already we are starting to struggle to find new places to experience by ship and which are not excessively demanding for fit but elderly people.

Edited by T&C Fulham
Mentioning where the word is described