Uncruise: any experience?

Unregistered, just back from your cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:20 AM.
724 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Anyone have experience with a small ship company called Uncruise?

Friends were recently booked on a cruise w/them thru the Panama Canal, but it was cancelled 10 days prior.

I've never heard of this company & wondered about it.

Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My future: Sapphire (June 2018)

My past: NCL (1967); Sitmar ('74, '78, '79, '81, '82, '86); Commodore ('75); RCCL ('80, '83, '99); KD on the Rhine ('83); American Hawaii ('85, '87); Celebrity ('98); Premier ('99); American West (2000); HAL (2014) Princess (Dawn x3, Crown x4, Grand x3, old Royal x2, Diamond, Ruby x2, Emerald x2, Star)
Anchorage, Alaska
3,220 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
We’ve done two Uncruise trips. The first was a 14 day Alaska several years ago and then again in October through the San Juan Islands and British Columbia. Both were exceptional. Certainly unfortunate that your friends trip was canceled. I think a Panama Canal trip with them would be nice. We’re now looking at doing one of their Baja trips.

I posted a review here on CC for the October trip on the Safari Quest. There’s quite bit posted about them on the Alaska board, all positive.
Illinois,United States
61 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Our Panama Canal cruise for October was cancelled as well. We rebooked for February and hope for the best.
We did the Sea of Cortez with them and it was excellent.
1 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Was there a reason given for the cancellation?

I'm looking at one of their 2017 itineraries for Costa Rica/Panama, but hearing about not one but two cancellations is worrying me.
Illinois,United States
61 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
They were evasive and just kept saying that the boat was gorgeous but not ready for passengers yet. They did transfer our booking at no cost (February was more expensive than October) and paid the substantial cost of changing our airline reservations. We had insurance and Allianz transferred that as well. I will write a review when we return. We did the Sea of Cortez with them previously and it was a very good experience.
San Diego, California
456 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
That's an excellent sign: that they took care of you that way! I've been thinking about an Uncruise for some time since everything I've read has been so positive. Your experience, while a bit of a bother, seems to have been dealt with quite well on their end. Looking forward to your report.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next: Tall ship sailing, March 2018

Since 2000: on Sailing Ships
Arabella (7), Diamant (4), Vela (2), Mandalay, Polynesia, Sagitta, Star Clipper (4), Star Flyer, Wind Star (4), Wind Surf (2)

Pre 2000: on small cruise ships
Caribe I, Seabreeze, Oceanbreeze, Renaissance III, Columbia Queen
458 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
I have had my eye on this cruise line for awhile. Seems like a much cheaper alternative to Lindblad. We are considering the Sea of Cortez itinerary.
I hate to even ask this, but is there any internet available during the cruise?
We have work obligations and elderly parents and it would tough to be completely out of touch the whole time.
Anchorage, Alaska
3,220 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by kreischer88
We are also looking at Uncruise for an Alaska inside passage trip this summer. We would love to hear pros and cons from recent trips with them. Also we are totally new to cruising.
A couple of Uncruise trip reports from the Alaska forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2387165

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2234240
Orlando, FL
1,940 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
So good to hear - we are going on a Panama Canal with Uncruise in October! Will report back afterwards.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MSC Divina Sept '17, Celebrity Equinox, Jan'17; fathom, July'16 (before she closed shop!),Regal Princess, Jan'16, Carnival Ecstasy, Feb'15, Caribbean Princess (HONEYMOON!!), Jan'15; Island Princess, Oct'14; Carnival Legend, July'14; Ruby Princess, March'14; Caribbean Princess, Mar'13; HAL Ryndham, Dec'12; Carnival Ecstasy, May'12, Caribbean Princess, March'11; Crown Princess Nov'10; Emerald Princess, Easter'10; Disney Magic, Thanksgiving'09; Disney Magic, June'09; Costa Concordia (BEFORE she sank!) Nov'08; Enchantment of the Seas, Mar'08; Costa Magica, Mar'07; Costa Magica, Dec'06; Mariner of the Seas, June 2006; Mariner of the Seas, Mar'06; Grandeur of the Seas,Dec'05; Mariner of the Seas, Mar'05; Carnival Fascination, Oct'04; Disney Wonder, May03
Illinois,United States
61 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Just back from Costa Rica and Panama. I will write a review. Overall a lot of fun (camp for grownups) with lots of activities for all. A few glitches still need to be worked out as this is still new for them but we had a great time.
Illinois,United States
61 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Recommend reading the blog Fromthedeckchair. Excellent day to day review with good information about arrival day in San Jose.
Brookfield, WI
20 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by Glaciers
We had no internet access during our Alaska or San Juan trips.

Husband and I are going on the UnCruise Wilderness Adventurer in Apr. 2017 (from Seattle to Juneau). Really having trouble deciding what to bring. Do you know if the rubber boots are plentiful or should we bring our own? How cold will it be in April? Will we be able to get our wet clothes dry? ........ Anything else I should know? Thanks for any thoughts.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Arlee

3/2003 Norwegian Sun (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel)
03/27/2010 Carnival Freedom (San Juan, St Thomas, Antigua, Tortola)
3/13/2011 Caribbean Princess (San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba)
3/17/2012 Carnival Miracle (Ft Lauderdale, Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Curacao)
4/17/2017 UnCruise Adventures Wilderness Adventurer (Alaska)
Anchorage, Alaska
3,220 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Our Alaska trip departed April 30 from Seattle to Juneau. We were on the Safari Explorer. They provided rubber boots, rain pants, as well as Mustang Suites if the weather was bad. Most of the trip was sunny. The evenings were cool. One evening while whale watching after the sun had just set behind the mountains, the crew brought out hot chocolate and schnapps. It was in the 30’s and the coldest it got on the trip.

On the other hand, some of us jumped in the water in Rudyard Inlet and the crew went water skiing. The trick was just to not stay in the water too long. It was beautiful, sunny and in the low 60’s.
Bear, DE
1,435 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Used them on a cruise down the Columbia River roundtrip from Portland. Very well done, almost everything included.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Link to spreadsheet with Roll Call and itinerary for Crystal Symphony South Pacific segments 8205-8206

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bvhcwjn73...2018.xlsx?dl=0

Previous sailings: Carnival (1), NCL (4), Celebrity (5), Cunard-Queen Mary 2 (2), Oceania (2), Holland America (2), Viking (2), AMA Waterways (1), Princess (1), Un-Cruise (1), Voyages to Antiquities (1), Disney (1)

Most recent cruises:

15 Night Galapagos with Machu Picchu extension on Celebrity Xpedition 4/2/2017
3 Day Disney cruise to Bahamas (with our grandson!) 8/4/2017
Iceland, Greenland and Scotland Explorer on Holland America Prinsendam 8/18/2017

Booked:
Christmas in Cuba and the Caribbean with Voyages to Antiquities 12/15/2017 (Cancelled due to folks bailing following travel advisory)
Back to back Auckland to Valparaiso South Pacific on Crystal Symphony March 2018

More than 50 Countries visited to date
440 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
I'm late to respond but I LOVE UnCruise. Just booked my 4th trip. Took them twice in Alaska, and Panama/CR in April. I would not go on any other line.

First, the minuses if you love all the amenities of big ships: staterooms nothing special, no Internet, one dining room with a few selections at each meal (happy to accommodate requests if nothing appeals to you). No stops to buy Tanzanite. Crew mostly American and paid according to US laws so more expensive and they are not expected to fawn over you. Answer a question about bird species, give you a chart of the constellations, tell you which tectonic plate subducted under which other plate to make the formation you see? Yeah, they can do that.

Pluses; very focused on nature. All-inclusive except for tips which are NOT automatically added to your bill. Fellow passengers smart, curious, unpretentious. Everyone leaves their bling and their egos at home. No locks on stateroom doors! Food locally-sourced where possible, well-prepared, very little out of cans. Alcohol, snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, paddle boarding included (small charge for ultra- thick wet suits in Alaska). I had dessert for lunch and dinner every day (never eat like that at home) and didn't gain weight thanks to all the activity.

In answer to previous question- plenty of boots.

OK, I'll stop now. Can't wait for Baja and the Sea of Cortes!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
July 7, 2012- Innersea Discoveries Wilderness Discoverer, Ketchikan to Juneau