Ponant ship, chartered by Tauck

Unregistered, just back from your cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:57 PM.
Seattle, WA
49 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Dublin - Southampton
Le Soleal (Spring 2018)

I'm a bit confused on how this works, is it that Tauck handles the shore excursions only?
Florida
4,060 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
If you book with Tauck, they will handle the shore excursions and provide a guide like they do on their land tours. I don't know how many passengers will be Tauck customers, maybe all? If not, the ship will provide the excursions for the other passengers or you book your own. If Tauck has chartered the entire ship, you can only book the cruise through them.
Seattle, WA
49 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Thanks

The folks here who post such negative Ponant reviews had me a bit concerned. I don't intend to pack a suit, the other issue, but seems as though that might not be required.
FL
14,464 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
We leave today for a Ponant cruise and DH packed a sport coat for the special evenings on board. We know someone who cruised with them last year and she said the Europeans do tend to dress up and there were a lot of cocktail dresses on the Captain's evenings. It has often been our experience that Europeans in general dress well, especially as compared to Americans. JMO.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
143 cruises since 1964, 16 on the river.
Looking forward to:
MS Joy - Magic of Advent, December 2017

Amadeus Silver III, May 2018
AmaStella, Christmas Markets, December 2018
Scenic Eclipse, April, 2019

Our river cruising history:
Avalon Luminary B2B- Christmas Markets, 2009
Avalon Affinity - Christmas Markets 2010
Avalon Panorama - Danube New Years Cruise, 2011
AmaDante -Vineyards of the Rhine and Moselle 2012
AmaCerto - Budapest to Nuremburg, 2013
AmaBella - Tulip Time, 2014
AmaDagio - Provence, 2014
AmaReina - Holiday on the Rhine 2014
SS Catherine - Provence 2015
AmaSerena Christmas on the Rhine, 2015
Scenic Diamond, Bordeaux, April 2016, October 2017
AmaVida, Douro, August. 2016
AmaSonata, Romantic Danube - Oct. 2016
Joie de Vivre, Paris and Normany - April 2017

Recent ocean cruises:
Le Lyral, The Adriatic, September 2017
calif
137 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
Originally posted by caviargal
We leave today for a Ponant cruise and DH packed a sport coat for the special evenings on board. We know someone who cruised with them last year and she said the Europeans do tend to dress up and there were a lot of cocktail dresses on the Captain's evenings. It has often been our experience that Europeans in general dress well, especially as compared to Americans. JMO.
How was your trip? Did you like this company? I'm considering Ponant for future cruises.
Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Trips
Celebrity Reflection Ultimate Caribbean 4/2018
Azamara Journey Italy Intensive 10/2018
Celebrity Expedition Galapagos Ecuador Expedition 5/2019
Viking Heimdal Lyon and Provence 9/2019
Viking Sea West Indies Explorer 2/2020
Past Trips
Viking Jarl Romantic Danube 10/2017
Avalon Luminary Essential Holland and Belgium-Tulips in Spring 4/2017
Holland America Ms Westerdam Mexican Riviera Holiday 12/2016
Celebrity Solstice Alaska Tracy Arm Fjord 5/2016
Majesty of the Seas Western Caribbean 2001
Scotland
2 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
We used Ponant "Australis" last July in the Kimberly region of Australia, and whilst I quite liked the ship and some (the French) staff we found the cooking and cheap wine so bad I will never use the line again.
Strange thing was after I wrote up my daming review the next 5 or so reviews of the same trip were glowing 5 star write ups.
Trust me I know poor food and wine when I taste it!
Florida
4,060 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
The included wine? We asked our waiter to bring a different one. He switched us a from cheap Languedoc country wine to a much better Australian vintage which was also included. Both the red and the white. The food was decent on our cruise. I complained in writing to the executive chef about the overly salty soups and they were good from that day on.

caviargal, I also wondered about your experience.
4 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by f2s
We used Ponant "Australis" last July in the Kimberly region of Australia, and whilst I quite liked the ship and some (the French) staff we found the cooking and cheap wine so bad I will never use the line again.
Strange thing was after I wrote up my daming review the next 5 or so reviews of the same trip were glowing 5 star write ups.
Trust me I know poor food and wine when I taste it!
Dear Sir, dear Madam,
We have learned of your disappointment with your recent Ponant cruise, and we are sincerely sorry. Our Customer Relations department is at your entire disposal to discuss the matter with you at 1300 737 178, if you so wish.

Yours faithfully,

The PONANT team.
Adelaide
219 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
We sailed On Ponant (Australian Kimberly Cruise) in August. The ship was ok although the room and bathroom were very small (bathroom was ridiculous). The food was the worst we have ever had on a ship (been on HAL, Windstar, Silversea,Seabourn) which was such a disappointment for us. We thought being a French line the food would be a highlight. I wrote to the Australian office for Ponant re our disappointment and to their credit they did reply. They definitely aren’t a luxury line and if they what to do well in Australia, they will have to improve a lot - we will never know if things improve because we will never sail with them again.