Belize pharmacy

babyher

I was recently in Belize and picked up some prescription medications. The pharmacy gave out their email address. I was wondering if anyone has ever gotten a response from the pharmacy email and has anyone ever ordered any prescription medication via email?

Aside from possibly being illegal, this may be a dangerous move. Pharmaceuticals in other countries do not have to pass FDA standards and may not be the true quality nor dosage that you should safely use. Our veteranarian won't even allow us to order products for our dog online stating many of these drugs are from other countries with substandard quality control. Pleas re-think this.

The pharmacy in Belize is owned and operated by a pharmacist that use to work in the United States & is an American. They are limited as to how they ship meds and are closely watched (in this case), so believe that this is a very safe pharmacy. Have never ordered on line from them, but believe that you would get what you ordered.

The pharmacy in Belize is owned and operated by a pharmacist that use to work in the United States & is an American. They are limited as to how they ship meds and are closely watched (in this case), so believe that this is a very safe pharmacy. Have never ordered on line from them, but believe that you would get what you ordered.

I'd trust it then.

The American government has put the fear of God in its citizens regarding prescription meds from other countries. Being from Canada, our drugs are manufactured by the same exact manufacturers as in the US however the Bush Administration wants you to believe that our drugs are made in dirty back alleys and not good enough for consumption in order to the keep the US counterparts of these drug manufacturers happy! We got lots of old folks and cancer patients who cannot afford meds in the US coming across the border to buy drugs they otherwise could not afford. It's about saving lives and not putting money in the drug companies' pockets - the Bush Administration needs to wake up to that.

I'll get off my soapbox now! :)

I agree that Canadian pharmaceuticals are probably just fine for Americans and the whole thing is orchestrated by the desires of the pharmaceutical companies BUT...Is it legal to buy prescription meds over the internet and have them shipped into the US? I would really research that. I don't think it would be under most circumstances to have them delivered in the mail. In the US for a prescription to be "legal" don't you have to have some kind of interaction with a doctor?? How does that occur through email? No doubt about it, it's your risk to take, but at least be informed! Ignorance isn't bliss sometimes!;)

I believe the Canadian pharmaceuticals are fine, but I always question the drugs from third world countries.

Not only do you have the problem of your prescription being a Grey-market knock-off; you have the concern of storage.

The manufacturer, distributor, and retail pharmacy maintain product between 65-75 degrees F at 25-40% humidity in North America.

Some drugs in third world countries are stored in non-climate controlled garages and makeshift warehouses. Temperatures can exceed 100 degrees F and humidity can approach the same number.

Drugs degrade exponentially at these extended extremes.

So, even if you’re getting the proper drug manufactured by a competent supplier, one doesn’t know how, or for how long, it was stored.

Your terrific buy in Belize may be only 50% or less potency than when it was manufactured.

We travel the Caribbean for three months every year and have for the last 14 years.

ALL or prescriptions come from the United States.

The American government has put the fear of God in its citizens regarding prescription meds from other countries. Being from Canada, our drugs are manufactured by the same exact manufacturers as in the US however the Bush Administration wants you to believe that our drugs are made in dirty back alleys and not good enough for consumption in order to the keep the US counterparts of these drug manufacturers happy! We got lots of old folks and cancer patients who cannot afford meds in the US coming across the border to buy drugs they otherwise could not afford. It's about saving lives and not putting money in the drug companies' pockets - the Bush Administration needs to wake up to that.

No, that's not the problem.... The main problem is that not only is it a violation of American Federal Law, but the provenance of the drugs can not be verified. In more simpler terms, where the drugs come from, be it the United States of wherever, may or may not have come directly to the drug wholesaler from the manufacturer. There is no way to tell if these drugs were returns from another source, pharmacy, wholesaler, hopital, or agency. There is no way to guarantee the potency, authenticity, or storage conditions. Federal Laws and FDA regulations do not apply to manufacter, shipping, storage, and documentation of the path from manufacturer to wholesaler to pharmacy. (Not to mention you would not have easy legal resource for claims/action...)The most horrifing problem seems to be that most people forget that the FDA and it's regulations, are to protect the (American) public with regard to safety and efficacy of medications available to Americans. We in the profession, know about the "problems" that have occured. (Misbranded drugs, expired drugs, couterfit drugs, lost mail, etc).

To the original poster, I have met that pharmacist who is US liscensed. The problem is the source of the drugs, not the pharmacy/pharmacist. They could be duped by their drug source in total ignorance of provenance.

Last thought. To those who have a problem with the high price of drugs in the US, take it up with the manufacturers, they are the problem. In a free market they can and do charge whatever they fell they can get away with.

Now, I'm off my soapbox.

I too bought drugs from the pharmacist in Belize and have purchased them from Mexico also. I have also ordered medicine from New Zealand that requires a prescription in the US and gotten it just fine (that is where I get my scopalamine patches). All have been fully potent and within the expiration dates. First, the buyer should make sure the drugs are in original packaging, read the box/bottle, check the expiration dates and only buy from reputable pharmacies/farmacias. The US Customs do allow "personal use" medicines, which is not more than 50 days worth (although it is difficult to find clear policies on this from US.gov websites, some still indicate 90 days). The big concern for Customs is the bringing in of "Schedule" drugs. These includes narcotics, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, and, of course, drugs of abuse, such as morphine, heroin, etc. I have found on cruises that there has been little to no searching or followup from Customs, however, I have heard, although not seen, that there are drug sniffing dogs which check the baggage coming off the ship. It is possible for true farmacias to provide a prescription from a doctor, usually close by, however, it appears that the US won't accept prescriptions from foreign doctors. Just make sure you do declare what you purchase, buy it from a source that is reputable, and be prepared to lose it if Customs decides to crack down. For those without insurance, the prices are definitely better, for those with insurance, make sure you compare. And, as for fighting the prices with the manufacturers in the US, get real. If the US government won't fight to keep prices down, and even wants to ban the ability for States and other large groups to form groups to buy in bulk, there is no way a single or even multiple consumers can get the prices down, especially on drugs where there is no other option or generic. As the drug companies say, we all have to pay for their R&D, but in the US, we pay more.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad I saw your message, can I please have the email address. The pharmacy in Belize gave me their business card with the info. and I can not find it. Regardless to what is Legal or not Legal. I am a small business owner, with basic health insurance and NO prescription plan. Needless to say I stocked up... On Penicillin, Amoxicillin, and more improtantly Albuterol. I'll take the chance! Thank You.

Thank you for responding. I know that I paid $73.00 at a chain pharmacy here in the north east. (That was for 2 inhalers.) In Belize I purchased 5 for $35.00. I wouldnt mind paying $20.00! My Dr. usually gives me samples for free. Thought he would be open the Sat. before my trip and he was closed. In which case I had no choice but to have a prescription called in. Thank you for your time. ;)

How nice, advice from a Canadian on how to run the United States.

I am a born here US citizen I agree with the Canadian post 100%.

My wife bought a one years supply of her meds at the Tourist Port pharmacy for $200 & we saved over $1200. Darn near paid for the cruise & a super deal for us !

If one believes the B/S from our not always candid President, good luck.

Bill in FL

Do me a favor GET A GRIP.... I am not from Canada, Im from PHILLY.... I work very hard for the money I make. Dont get me started. Because our government is ****ED UP..... I Need Meds, and I'll do what ever it takes to get them at a reasonalbe rate. P.S. Not everyone is a drug addict...

How nice, advice from a Canadian on how to run the United States.

Do me a favor GET A GRIP.... I am not from Canada, Im from PHILLY.... I work very hard for the money I make. Dont get me started. Because our government is ****ED UP..... I Need Meds, and I'll do what ever it takes to get them at a reasonalbe rate. P.S. Not everyone is a drug addict...

A couple years ago my husband needed a cancer drug that was $300. a month in the US . I purchased this on the internet in Canada for $100. It came sealed in bubbles direct from the manufacturer. There was no reason to suspect that the drugs had been tampered with in any way.

We have a Royal Caribbean MasterCard through MBNA. If you go to their website they have an option where you can get a temporary credit card number to safely order items online. The way I understand it, when the charge is posted, the temp number is discarded and the charge goes onto your regular account. I have not used this feature yet, but I would if I were going to order from an unfamiliar or foreign vender. In addition, when we use the RC card, we get RC reward points to use for shipboard credits and other goodies!

A couple years ago my husband needed a cancer drug that was $300. a month in the US . I purchased this on the internet in Canada for $100. It came sealed in bubbles direct from the manufacturer. There was no reason to suspect that the drugs had been tampered with in any way.

One of the problems is counterfeit drugs. They even have the same shape and markings, same looking box, even bona fied lot numbers and expiration dates to match. When assayed, they have been found to be a different, but similar and cheaper ingredient. This is what I meant by supply provenence. So when you suffer harm, who you going to sue?:(

Unfortunately, it has become a roll of the dice.

My $.02 - won't quote 'cause there was alot to comment on...

About the Vet comment - umm yeah, I can see a vet saying "Why yes those medications are just as good at half the price. Please spend your money there instead of with me and my OVERPRICED medication." Ummm it took me multiple vets before I finally found one that was willing to forgo his/her profit for customer satisfaction and write me a prescription. Please... of course he's going to tell you "they're BAD, run away".

Along those same lines...the comment about price and supply and demand. If our less than honest government, running the FDA, says that outside sources are bad, and people believe it and only buy from local manufacturers, then those manufacturers have more money to funnell into lobying the gov't that is telling us what's safe and what's not. duhhhh I hardly think it's our best interest that they have in mind.

As for proper handling - I don't know how many times I have had to call my AMERICAN distributor of my AMERICAN-made medication because these do-it-perfect AMERICANS didn't keep my son's refridgerated medication refridgerated so I was afraid to use it. Although the package clearly says must be refridgerated, each time I have called their comment has been "oh it's fine, it actually can be at room temperature for up to 72 hours" to which I say "but it's been in a hot delivery van all day" to which they respond "it's still fine".

And finally, buyer beware. You have to be an alert consumer. Yes assure that it's in a sealed container, yes check the expiration date, maybe don't buy it from a total 3rd world country. But personally, if I had to have it, can't afford it any other way, then any med is better than no med.

OH and yes I too am an American, our line has been here for over 350 year. And this "we're the best/only ones that are right attitude" that is prevalent now really embarrases me.

*holding up target* blast away....

A..

Archived