Breakaway 13 Day Southern Caribbean Review with lots of pictures (plus Haven) again

ncklhaus

Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been back to finish up the review but it's basically done. Just the last morning when we got back to cold New York.

It turns out that my husband wasn't just having an issue with his gall bladder. He was diagnosed with diabetes last week! His sugar was critically high and he was started on Metformin pills and insulin injections. He is still not feeling well but he is feeling a bit better after a week on the meds. His sugar is still high but it is already half of what it was.

I'm hoping that when we cruise again in December they will be able to offer a decent menu for him. He is only allowed 60 grams of carbs per day (15 carbs x 3 meals and 1 snack) Yikes :o

Thank you so much for the amazing review, and may I commend you for your honest and open look at life when the universe gives you a reminder that life is short and precious.

We were in the Haven Breakaway for Christmas last year, and I was hesitant because of the cost of taking not just my DH and son, but both sets of parents and in-laws. As it turns out, my mother was diagnosed with a brain tumor shortly after, and my mother-in-law was told she was in kidney failure. So, my biggest worry turned from a financial expense to a personal challenge. The first holiday together as a family will also likely be the last, and for that....I have absolutely no regrets.

Keep on cruising, never make apologies for living it up in the Haven, and my thoughts and prayers to you and your wonderful family.

With Love, Amy

Thank you for the review and all the pictures. I'm contemplating (well, have booked but still pondering as it's 365 days away) a Breakaway cruise next April. It would be my first NCL cruise. I'd only be in a lowly Studio cabin though.

Question... Do you have any pictures of the Vibe Beach Club? I've already been told to not count on it being available to "commoners", but I'm curious what it looks like. :)

Hi JoAnn,

Thank you so much for this fantastic review. I just booked the BA for next February so your tips are wonderful. I will be watching for the December review as well!

It's been a LONG time since my last NCL cruise, and I'm learning a lot on this Freestyle concept.

Am I allowed to frequent the Haven bar not having a Haven, or suite, or a spa cabin?

And I booked the UBP in the latest promotion. Can I get drinks in any of the "extra fee" restaurants? (Like Margaritaville and maybe an expresso martini from a coffee lounge?)

Thanks again so much for all the time you put into this, truly enjoyable and greatly appreciated!

Hi JoAnn,

Thank you so much for this fantastic review. I just booked the BA for next February so your tips are wonderful. I will be watching for the December review as well!

It's been a LONG time since my last NCL cruise, and I'm learning a lot on this Freestyle concept.

Am I allowed to frequent the Haven bar not having a Haven, or suite, or a spa cabin?

And I booked the UBP in the latest promotion. Can I get drinks in any of the "extra fee" restaurants? (Like Margaritaville and maybe an expresso martini from a coffee lounge?)

Thanks again so much for all the time you put into this, truly enjoyable and greatly appreciated!

I saw that you found out about Haven but as far as your other questions re drinks in the "extra fee" restaurants, yes you can use your UBP in there. If it exceeds the UBP price limit, which I believe currently is $15 before taxes and fees, you just pay the difference. I think the espresso martini will cost you around $2 after using the UBP. Totally worth it, especially if you got it as a promotion. Enjoy!

Thanks so much for this great review and photos.. I know it must have taken hours and hours. We are thinking about cruising NCL , have done HAL, RC, Celebrity and Carnival and are ready for something different. Your detailed review is just what we need.

Thanks again and all best wishes to you and your family.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. I wanted to post this for all of my friends that have been asking how things have been going. Many of you have emailed me through the information in my signature.

My husband Mike has been doing remarkably well. We have been managing his diabetes really well and he has already lost over 80 pounds. Another 50 or so to go.

Unfortunately my wonderful father lost his battle with cancer on Tuesday. He was buried yesterday. I cannot tell you how sad I am writing this post. I haven't really cried yet and now as I write this the tears are streaming down my face.

I thought that he would be around forever. I was his little girl. :loudcry:

We are renewing our vows on the December 15-22, 2017 Breakaway cruise. I had hoped he would have been able to join us.

We will renew our vows (hopefully on Great Stirrup Cay) on December 19th which will be our 15th anniversary. I hope many of you can join us. We will also have a small tribute to my dad.

Please feel free to either reply to this thread or email me at JoAnn dot Nickl at Yahoo dot com

Thank you all for your support.

So sorry to hear that your dad passed. There are not many words that one can say to ease the pain of losing our loved ones. Your dad will be with you in spirit when you renew your vows.

Glad your DH is doing well. Remember to take care of yourself.

Hi JoAnn - I'm so sorry to hear about your father. My husband also passed away from cancer this past January. It's a horrible disease. Recently I have been going to a bereavement group and I read this book called option B which has helped.

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your haven reviews. My family booked Jan 5 breakaway with two balconies and may try upgrading to haven. If not we will still enjoy the cruise. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

• 1 month later...

Thanks again to everyone for the condolences. We really appreciate it.

I just wanted to follow up on the Travel Insurance issue. When you buy Travel Insurance and you need to file a claim, you first need to submit the claim to your regular medical insurance. Once you get the denial from them, you can file the claim with the Travel Insurance company. I first sent in my claim to our regular insurance company at the end of January. I added a cover page stating that I know it won't be covered, I just needed a denial. They say they never received it. I resubmitted. Still saying they didn't get it. 4 times submitted via mail, all sent certified. It was so aggravating. I just want a denial! Arg!:mad:

I called them for the 5th time and was given a "special" fax number. Well, finally, last week I received my denial.:D

I mailed in the claim to the Travel Insurance on Monday, certified mail and according to the tracking it was delivered today. I'll keep you posted as to how long it takes to get my reimbursement. I want my $1333.99 back! :p

I have to say how impressed I am with the Travel insurance company. I received an email today letting me know that they have my claim. SO much better than our regular medical insurance company.

Stay tuned. I'll update as I get more info.

• 4 weeks later...
I have to say how impressed I am with the Travel insurance company. I received an email today letting me know that they have my claim. SO much better than our regular medical insurance company.

Stay tuned. I'll update as I get more info.

The refund check came today!!e4c67437ae2b56a8be3320f187138b63.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...