Oosterdam Aft Balcony cabin

ROBERTEVANOVER

We just booked an aft cabin on the fifth deck of the Oosterdam for an Mediterranean cruise: anybody have any comments, observations, pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your cabin has a fully covered veranda and being an aft cabin, you will have little wind when the ship is moving which lets you have meals on your veranda every day while others on the sides of the ship cannot. Since you are just up from the Room Service kitchen, your food will be hot and arrive quickly.

You made a great choice. Enjoy your cruise.

halfacts.com/vista-class/ has pics of Oosterdam 5189 and several stern cabins on other Vista ships. Click on thumbnails to enlarge. However, since some of these pictures are a few years old and the O'dam had an extensive dry-dock upgrade in April 2016, decor and furnishings such as the TV will probably differ in your cabin.

Edited by catl331

Just off an aft cabin on the Zuiderdam on deck 5. It was great! Covered shaded balcony at least triple in length. There were two chairs with ottoman on the balcony and a small table. The cabin was also a little larger, and even though our last cruise was on a signature suite this compared very favourably. It felt spacious.

• 4 weeks later...

Just off the Oosterdam Jan. 10. Had back corner Neptune Suite #5191 with a very large wrap-around balcony. It is fully covered, but not dark. (I'll try to post some cabin pictures in a seperate post) Our new favorite cabin! Very quiet. All suites have been upgraded, with 120 volt U.S. style plugs and USB ports on each side of the bed. New, tasteful decor. I understand they will go into drydock to upgrade the remainder of the cabins in late March/April. Some have posted that this balcony holds 50 people. I believe it! We had 3 lounges, 4 chairs with foot rests and pads and a table with 3 chairs with pads - and plenty of room in between! Even had the smell of fresh baked bread wafting up from the kitchen several decks below. Would book this cabin again in a heartbeat!

Just off the Oosterdam Jan. 10. Had back corner Neptune Suite #5191 with a very large wrap-around balcony. It is fully covered, but not dark. (I'll try to post some cabin pictures in a seperate post) Our new favorite cabin! Very quiet. All suites have been upgraded, with 120 volt U.S. style plugs and USB ports on each side of the bed. New, tasteful decor. I understand they will go into drydock to upgrade the remainder of the cabins in late March/April. Some have posted that this balcony holds 50 people. I believe it! We had 3 lounges, 4 chairs with foot rests and pads and a table with 3 chairs with pads - and plenty of room in between! Even had the smell of fresh baked bread wafting up from the kitchen several decks below. Would book this cabin again in a heartbeat!
Here are photos of 5191

11ff1903f1e75b6e14028323c41adca0.jpg2b7e81342847b0fa3a434f9658980225.jpg10f48ac52bd6a86b1923d0484c0d0149.jpg0928d74f4b3361b50888647cd9186f96.jpg6330349440149da261dcf5a91f2adb49.jpg7663c8cb69ca8117e56897f492af0724.jpg

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The "O" mugs...very observant! No, we just brought those since we were on the Oosterdam. The mugs provided for the coffee/espresso machine are smaller and fill right to the top. These give us a little more slosh room, or room for additional ingredients :D

Thank you so much for answering my question!

Oh, so you brought them from home. Darn, I was hoping that they had returned. Yes, it's my understanding that they're no longer available. :( Too bad, because I think they are so cool. I really wanted to get the "W" mug (when I go on Westerdam)!

Twodjs,

Thanks for posting the pics. My wife and I will be in your suite for two weeks in March of 2019. We've been absent from HAL for a number of years, but decided to sail again in one of the aft corner suites. We absolutley love those rooms, and the views they allow us see. ;) We're glad you enjoyed your cruise, and again, thanks for your posts.:D

Glad I left it in good shape for you (we debarked from it Dec. 20) !! Great cabin and fantastic views. A couple of years ago we had this exact cabin and held a roll call party on it with over 40 people and it was not crowded.

Only negative that I have found to the aft-wraps is that often the room stewards are not "up to speed" on the Neptune perks and mail (like special invitations, notices, etc). Plus it is a long walk to the Neptune Lounge, so we do not use it as often.

Here are photos of 5191

11ff1903f1e75b6e14028323c41adca0.jpg2b7e81342847b0fa3a434f9658980225.jpg10f48ac52bd6a86b1923d0484c0d0149.jpg0928d74f4b3361b50888647cd9186f96.jpg6330349440149da261dcf5a91f2adb49.jpg7663c8cb69ca8117e56897f492af0724.jpg

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for posting these great pictures of our favorite cabin, it will be our home for 7 days just 19 days....but who's counting It's been a while since we were last on the Oosterdam and it will be 10 years since we were last in 5191 which back then it was known as 5187 which was prior to her aft lift.

I looked at your photos on the other website Thanks :) Question the Dressing area, to me that was the only downside of this cabin, it always had a darker rather orange feel in that area and felt the mirrors were terrible for putting on makeup. What I do see as disappointing is that odd colored purple curtain is still there, I would have thought that with all the new soft goods and remodel they would have replaced that. They could have made it match the bedding. The mirrors on the closet in the dressing area were an terrible orange tint, were those replaced or were the same doors left, it appears the counter top in the dressing area was replaced because that use to be a dark yellow if I remember correctly. Thanks again for posting these.

Hi Lisa - glad you found all the pictues. The new light colored counter in the dressing area and bath really brightens up the area. The brightest lights are in the bath, recessed in the mirrors, and there is a makeup mirror in the dressing area drawer. The mirrors in the dressing area were not replaced, but I think the old, darker counter added to the yellow color you experienced. The drape color didn't stand out to me as being odd. Maybe the new color pallet in the cooler brown tones helped it blend in. Have a wonderful cruise!

Hi Lisa - glad you found all the pictues. The new light colored counter in the dressing area and bath really brightens up the area. The brightest lights are in the bath, recessed in the mirrors, and there is a makeup mirror in the dressing area drawer. The mirrors in the dressing area were not replaced, but I think the old, darker counter added to the yellow color you experienced. The drape color didn't stand out to me as being odd. Maybe the new color pallet in the cooler brown tones helped it blend in. Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks, Glad to hear it seemed brighter, I can tell in comparing pictures from previous that the white definitely brightens that area.

Looking forward to sailing on the Oosterdam once again :cool: