Dress code on the Edge

cgolf1

Seeing some comments on the ship build thread trying to figure out what kind of clothes we need to pack.

Here is my normal cruise attire, DCL and RCCL.

Meals, khakis with either a button down short sleave shirt or polo shirt. I generally where sandals because my pants run long and I don’t worry about getting them set to the proper length. My wife will generally do a dress.

Walking around clothes consist of t shirts and basketball style shorts for me and my wife usually does t shirts and shorts.

We will likely do 6 nights in the MDRs and one in one of the unique to the Edge specialty restaurants.

Is a jacket for men enforced on formal night? Is a tie mandatory as well? For women what is expected? For walking around the ship what is the expectation?

We like to pack light, but I do have nicer but heavier shorts I can pack. The jacket has always seemed like a waste, because I always took it off as soon as I sat down for my meal, and the whole space weight thing when packing.

Excited to be going on the edge, but not sure I will like the dress code.

I want to apologize. I did not mean to suggest that there should be any kind of dress code or to get that started on the "Edge blocks in the house" which has been so nicely focused on the ship. My only point was that it looks so nice, that I might feel uncomfortable not being dressed up in the public areas .... I did not mean to suggest or imply that there is any change or should be any change to dress code.... just a complement to the ships design. So please let us not turn into facebook. Again I am sorry to have inadvertently started this.

You need to see the actual dress code on Celebrity. There are no formal nights anymore. Go to the website and you will see all the details spelled out

Thanks, and looks like they only specify the restaurants and theatre, so we should be fine. I just had always heard Celebrity was a bit classier than other lines so we didn’t want to look out of place onboard. We have the nice clothes, I just like to dress comfortable as much as possible:)

Thanks, and looks like they only specify the restaurants and theatre, so we should be fine. I just had always heard Celebrity was a bit classier than other lines so we didn’t want to look out of place onboard. We have the nice clothes, I just like to dress comfortable as much as possible:)

Dress code applies only to the main dining room or rooms in the case of the Edge. It does not apply in the Specialties, Blu or Luminae. It does apply in the theater but that hasn’t been enforced for years. Buffet you can wear shorts.

Dress code is on the web site, pants and shirt are fine any night, no tie or jackets is required. No shorts allowed in the dining rooms for dinner.

This is a very contentious subject on CC, you will get a lot of opinions on what people wear and what they think you should wear. Below is the formal policy, lots of choices which of course it is up to you to make.

From the website:

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress
  • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

Edited by dkjretired

IMO - X is a bit classier than many of the other mass market lines...

Many, fellow passengers, find they can be attracted to X due to the 'relaxed' dress code, which is fine, for the most part, to be sure.

bon voyage

I want to apologize. I did not mean to suggest that there should be any kind of dress code or to get that started on the "Edge blocks in the house" which has been so nicely focused on the ship. My only point was that it looks so nice, that I might feel uncomfortable not being dressed up in the public areas .... I did not mean to suggest or imply that there is any change or should be any change to dress code.... just a complement to the ships design. So please let us not turn into facebook. Again I am sorry to have inadvertently started this.

LOL, well, NO soup for you on your sailing!

Hey no worries, this is The Edge sub-forum, we tend and trend towards the relaxed in relating to each other.. it is the main forum one has to look out for.. I recently had a few postings there deleted for some strange reason! LOL

I gently suggested that I would wear a Tux on our first Edge sailing just to commemorate our time there in a semi-formal elegance and was told that I would not be wearing a Tux... then again, I pack my own bags and who knows for sure, The Shadow Knows.. ;-)

Dress nicely and bon voyage

This is all good guidance.. ,.

I would suggest some nicer shorts for day wear,..save sports shorts and tank style tees for the gym. Skip daytime sandals for dinner.

The relaxed code is working well. Celebrity cruisers dress casual or dressy but very nice! More choices .,. updated but stylish!

As far as what people wear on Celebrity, you will find people along the whole spectrum from t-shirts to tuxedos on chic night. I've seen it all and rarely have noticed (only really have noticed the extremes at both ends), but haven't let it interfere with my experience (well, maybe had a quick flash of superiority or inferiority ;)).

While I used to bring long gowns and my husband would rent a tux, we now love just bringing a cocktail dress for me and a blazer and tie for him and, if we don't feel like dressing up that much on Chic night, I will do slacks and dressy top and he will do a button down shirt and slacks. We respect the dress code, but don't go all out dressing up.

For day wear, we dress comfortably onboard in shorts/capris and tops in all venues (unless there is a specific dress code - not sure if it is still the same now, but my husband was turned away from a Captain's Club wine tasting at 11:00 AM because he was in shorts a few years ago - he didn't read the fine print :D).

What you are bringing sounds like it will work for you. You may not be as dressed up as some, but you will not look out of place, as many will be similarly dressed. Enjoy your cruise! :D

No worries, it was actually good that you brought it up, because it got us to thinking about it.

I appreciate everyone’s responses too. I will likely pack some of my nicer shorts and mix them in during the day. Will save the more casual shorts for either running, excursions, or days after I overate the night/day before;)

We are just coming from 2 more casual lines, even though DCL has the luxury price, so wanted to make sure we fit in on a new for us line.

No worries, it was actually good that you brought it up, because it got us to thinking about it.

I appreciate everyone’s responses too. I will likely pack some of my nicer shorts and mix them in during the day. Will save the more casual shorts for either running, excursions, or days after I overate the night/day before;)

We are just coming from 2 more casual lines, even though DCL has the luxury price, so wanted to make sure we fit in on a new for us line.

I think you are going to enjoy X,,....sounds like a good fit for you!

Kearney - not problem and it’s good you initiated this thread to discuss dress for Elite. The original thread is getting very big with lots of other discussions.

I agree the ship looks very elegant and may give us pause on what to wear.......so I’m going to add an Ascot to my swimwear!

When I first stepped on the Mercury, I thought it was fantastic and just loved the decor. Gave me a very upbeat feeling. The same with M-Class, then with S-Class, and looking forward to the ‘lift’ on the Edge. And it’s going to be so much better wandering and enjoying Her in my relaxed outfits.

I’m on a B2B, so by the next cruise, I’ll throw away the Ascot, and start looking for bits of rust and take photos of it......someone actually did that!

Den

Mercury was,..still is...our fav ship...classy, elegant but lots of fun!

We made the same progression.....M, S and now EDGE Class.

Hoping we will love her!

DHs tux will stay home but we will be dressing up a bit for my birthday ..!

On my first X cruise in 2012, I started out in a tuxedo and felt overdressed within my age class below 50.

I might just bring a dinner jacket this time, designer jeans. suit shirts, new black /brown leather shoes - finito.

Hoping we will love her!

Where are you celebrating your birthday?

Hoping we will love her!

We started with Meridien and then Zenith and Horizon. Rented tuxes along the way for son who was around 8 and myself, we got some great pictures back then with wife and daughter in beautiful dresses.

I doesnt thrill me that they got rid of the formal nights on the X

that said, I now always go and just do me, so this means on all Chic (stupid name) nights I wear my formal attire, my hubby doesnt follow suit and wear a tux but he he will either wear a suit or dress trousers and a barafia. I do not feel out of place and in fact have had it said to me that people who wear just a cocktail dress feel more out of place and underdressed, more so then we are over dressed.

I never Bring jeans with me and my husband would never dream of wearing shorts of an evening.

I do wish the Crew were more strict on dress code, and seeing people coming into dinner wearing shorts does irk me. I don't get why some people pay all this money to come on a cruise to then give out it is too formal, the whole experience was always formal and dressy it is a shame that these companies have given in to the few and lowered the tone.

Don't shoot me down please it is just my opinion.

I have a get in on this with my 1.5 cents. Since this is not the Queen Mary of 70 years ago and truly times have changed the definition of "dressed up' is very fluid. Since I'm a boomer I guess I still hear my mother telling me to put something nice on! The definition of "nice" is a little different for me now verses what my mother would have worn. I also have little interest in dictating dress standards. I dress nice (may not be with a dress but it might be if I feel like it). I will snazzy it up on a "formal" night to the point where I clearly fit in and I like to do that. At dinner always appropriate. During the day ..yeah I'm on vacation and cruising so ..shorts..tees..flip flops...regardless of where I go.

Now I do stop and stare on occasion at people who come to dinner in what I call "what are you thinking" wear. I was just on a RCCL cruise to Cuba and it is a very casual cruise. In the main dining room (especially on the dress up a little nicer night) I saw people like they did not care one bit. Shorts and tee shirts, mainly men. What really got me is wearing the baseball hat during the meal. If my brother had done that when growing up my father would have knocked it off his head like a ninja...fast and with a face that meant business. These were NOT kids either. I just shook my head and move on with my meal. Times...changed. There was also a middle aged man who had a "Cruising My Life Away" tee shirt. Wore it EVERYDAY. He also after much thought wore his "Cruising My Life Away" tee to every dinner. He either was on a mission to see if he could pack for a four day cruise only using his wife's pocket book or he really liked that shirt. He drew a stare and a shake of the head from many. Then on with dinner. Interesting to note was there were a good number of young people (millennials) that look pretty darn sharp. Men in suits and young ladies in cocktail dresses. Nice to see.

To sum it up...change, fluidity...appropriate... be happy. We are just renting a room and eating some meals. Happy and safe travels to all!

Looks like the CEO will be on the two maiden voyages (East and West).... could have more of a President's cruise feel to it... Apparently there will be some special Captains Club function or functions in Eden for Classic level on up... and local entertainment capturing spirit of Mexico (Western cruise) and Puerto Rico (Eastern cruise). So that will be nice.

I doesnt thrill me that they got rid of the formal nights on the X

that said, I now always go and just do me, so this means on all Chic (stupid name) nights I wear my formal attire, my hubby doesnt follow suit and wear a tux but he he will either wear a suit or dress trousers and a barafia. I do not feel out of place and in fact have had it said to me that people who wear just a cocktail dress feel more out of place and underdressed, more so then we are over dressed.

I never Bring jeans with me and my husband would never dream of wearing shorts of an evening.

I do wish the Crew were more strict on dress code, and seeing people coming into dinner wearing shorts does irk me. I don't get why some people pay all this money to come on a cruise to then give out it is too formal, the whole experience was always formal and dressy it is a shame that these companies have given in to the few and lowered the tone.

Don't shoot me down please it is just my opinion.

Just curious...what is a barafia? I looked it up but can’t find it...is that an auto-correct invention?

Just curious...what is a barafia? I looked it up but can’t find it...is that an auto-correct invention?

Its not an auto correct but there is a very good chance I have spelt it wrong. Its like a very posh blazer made of out suit material. I asked my hubby he can't spell it either ;p

Where are you celebrating your birthday?

On my b-day, we'll be In BLU, for chic night. We like to share the b day cake with other diners...and maybe enjoy some champagne..Hoping to get a really nice photo portrait with DH...

Other plans are the Rooftop grill on a late port night in San Juan...cool sunset views...we hope. Finecut steakhouse on St Maarten night..and a few special lunches along the way.,,

Its not an auto correct but there is a very good chance I have spelt it wrong. Its like a very posh blazer made of out suit material. I asked my hubby he can't spell it either ;p

Thanks...the Internet doesn’t know what it is! 😜🤪

On my b-day, we'll be In BLU, for chic night. We like to share the b day cake with other diners...and maybe enjoy some champagne..Hoping to get a really nice photo portrait with DH...

Other plans are the Rooftop grill on a late port night in San Juan...cool sunset views...we hope. Finecut steakhouse on St Maarten night..and a few special lunches along the way.,,

Sounds like a fun birthday (your 30th, I assume?). My birthday is during spring break so I always get nervous sailing at that time. Maybe for next big one, I will do it anyway and just join the party - the big 4-0 is coming right up. ;)

Sounds like a fun birthday (your 30th, I assume?). My birthday is during spring break so I always get nervous sailing at that time. Maybe for next big one, I will do it anyway and just join the party - the big 4-0 is coming right up. ;)

Ha ha...my big 4-0 sailed by quite awhile ago...if you are hitting 40, you would have been a real flower CHILD.!

We try to cruise in late Jan for my birthday and also in the fall for dh b day and our anniv....and we spend alot of time in Fla as well..