Celebrity Edge - Four Main Dining Rooms

London-Calling

Am very impressed! They look more high end and intimate, like specialty restaurants...as opposed to some ginormous banquet space where, as interesting and architectural as they may be, the sheer size makes you feel a little like cattle.

The space where a huge multilevel restaurant would go will no doubt be occupied by Eden. So if anyone feels like these interiors aren’t dramatic enough, am sure Eden will take care of those concerns, no?

Also, I give Celebrity props for re-imagining the whole main dining room concept...which bodes well for the level of imagination going into the entire design.

I wonder what BLU will look like!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm interested to see how this rolls out - I scanned some of the menus - hard to pick one dining venue for every evening - so we opted for select - I hope it is well managed and there will not be lenghty waits. We have had some bad "select" experiences on some cruises!

Love it! More choice, less people and n the room, everybody can find something for their liking! We are embracing the change by booking a different venue for each night on our B2B - leading by example, so to speak:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It has now been confirmed that Celebrity Edge will have four main complimentary restaurants on-board.

What do you think? I quite like one very big, impressive (preferably double height) dining room.

See slide-show:

Official web site here: www.celebritycruises.co.uk/celebrity-edge/edge-dining/

I'm actually happy to see this. I much prefer smaller more intimate dining rooms. That's the main reason why I like AQ when it's not too much more than a standard balcony cabin.

There’s an existing and extensive thread on the Edge sub-forum (see top of this forum) that discusses Edge dining. Lots of good info for us there.

By the way, the existing S-Class and M-Class MDR’s dont seat 2000, probably less than 1000 considering Blu, Luminea and specialty restrautrnats and the ships don’t seat all of us at one seating

Den

Waiting until we experience this in January but I think we are going to like it. While we never had a real "wait" with Select, we did notice that on many nights of a longer cruise a large portion of the dining room in the select section was empty. Also, from the pictures it seems that there will be more space for waiters to move around and a lot more "intimate" dining options. We are doing Le Grand Bistro and Fine Steak House 2 nights and opted for Tuscan 1 night and the balance in Cosmopolitan. That should give us a good idea.

PatC

For oyr AQ cruise we will be in BLU and booked Fine Cut and Rooftop grill for 2 of the nights

For our longer cruise, not in AQ , we took 2 night in each mdr and one night at the outside grill.,. Hope to get a variety if choices!

Where is the original...EDGE dining thread???

It has now been confirmed that Celebrity Edge will have four main complimentary restaurants on-board.

What do you think? I quite like one very big, impressive (preferably double height) dining room.

See slide-show:

Official web site here: www.celebritycruises.co.uk/celebrity-edge/edge-dining/

Like it in concept.

Would hope to be able to dine in each of them over a sailing.

Does this mean the death of Murano etc on the S class etc?

Like it in concept.

Would hope to be able to dine in each of them over a sailing.

Does this mean the death of Murano etc on the S class etc?

They haven’t said which specialties they will have - maybe will add some of the Edge venues eventually. Really hope they keep Murano so there are some different ones on different ships.

You will not be able to just go to the dining room you want to for that evening. You will be assigned a dining room and you are expected to stay there. You will be able to occasionally go to another dining room "space available", so it could be quite hit or miss if you can try the different rooms. You will be able to change your main dining room if you don't like the one assigned to, but again on "space available" basis. I suspect it is the first step in eliminating set dining altogether in the not so distant future.

While the idea of them being more intimate, with those low ceilings, I fully expect them to be noisy when they are full. More noisy than the vast open space of the multi level dining rooms on the rest of the fleet.

I agree with scandinaviavoyager - the new Celebrity is not about high class dining anymore. I always enjoyed the feeling of attending a special event when dining in the big dining rooms with set dining. It was always something I looked forward to, from getting ready to visiting with our tablemates every evening. Sigh!

Edited by sloopsailor

For EDGE on our non AQ class cruise, we chose Select Dining, and already have res booked for each of the 4 MDR ( 2 nights in each) plus specialty 1 night, we are looking forward to trying it all...esp after many cruises in BLU.

Arranging it was very easy online so we hope it works as well when we arrive at our reserved time, Also nice to have a change of scenery and menu choices in each that are a bit different,

Usually, we do enjoy BLU, and have booked AQ class for 7 days on EDGE as well...BLU works much better for us than the old style MDR, with large tables of strangers, some of whom you never see because they are out at other venues,. I agree that sometimes it worked well but you never know????

For those who prefer the old MDR options, the M and S class ships seem to be retaining that after the upgrades are made...lots of choices.

I haven't read in any of the press releases that Murano is going. I have my suspicions that there will be changes in the specialties beyond LPC, but would love to see your source that Murano is going so that I can put that to rest.

I have to disagree about lack of fine dining on the Edge. We all have different definitions of fine dining, but the Fine Cut Steakhouse menu looks amazing (looks much better than Tuscan, IMO and may end up being as good as Murano, though would miss some of our favorites). It looks like a lovely venue:

enhance

Dinner on the Edge may be a Chef's Table type experience, which I would describe as fine dining. It is described as exclusive and may be a food/wine pairing event.

enhance

Eden will be an interesting experience, very eclectic and fine dining in its own way, with several courses offering unique items.

The 4 MDRs, Blu and Luminae are all beautiful venues on the Edge and will all provide a lovely back drop for dining. We have had excellent meals and service in all of these venues in the past (though not always consistently). With the new interesting specialties, new menus in the MDRs and possible improved menus in Blu and Luminae (in addition to some of the best chefs and staff going to the Edge), I hope to enjoy lots of fine dining on the Edge. :D

enhance

enhance

enhance

The whole dining offering is changing fleetwide with the Edge. So Murano will go...the new Celebrity is not about high class dining anymore.

I feel like I am watching the brand turn into another RCCL/las vegas fleet--which is exaclty why we don't sail rccl

We dont care for Carnival or NCL.

Whats left with the demise of X? that isn't at the price of Regent?

To prevent confusion, you can choose which MDR's you wish to dine in if you choose Select Dining. You can pre-book those reservations, if you wish, on your cruise planner.

Here is the scoop for Edge Dining:

f you are not in Aqua Class or Suite Class, you can choose one the following 3 options (if available):

Traditional Early - 6 PM

Traditional Late - 8:30 PM

Celebrity Select Plus - 6:00-9:30

-If you choose Traditional, you will be assigned one of the 4 dining rooms with the same table and waiter. Celebrity will assign the restaurant - the restaurant assignment will be in your stateroom on Day 1.

-Guests may request to dine in a different main dining room, based on availability - you will have a waiter that works in that dining room for that night (waiters stay in their assigned dining rooms). You can also request change to another dining room for the whole cruise, based on availability.

-If you want to request to be assigned to a particular MDR, it is suggested that you email CelebrityDining@celebrity.com and they will forward the request to the ship and try to accommodate you.

If you choose Celebrity Select Plus, you can choose any of the restaurants each night. Reservations are recommended (and can be made online through Pre-Cruise Planner), though walk-ins permitted.

If you choose Celebrity Select Plus, you can choose any of the restaurants each night. Reservations are recommended (and can be made online through Pre-Cruise Planner), though walk-ins permitted.

So, now we will have to make reservations months in advance for dinner? What a hassle!

We spent a week at Walt Disney world a decade ago. We wanted to dine in some of the nicer restaurants in the various parks. Turns out that Disney had a promotion going on months before we booked our vacation that included vouchers for meals in most of the various dining venues. That promotion was no longer available when we booked our vacation a couple of months before the vacation.

Reservations for dining opened up 6 months prior to the actual date. When we tried to make reservations in those restaurants after arriving at our Disney hotel, all reservation times were booked from around 3:30 pm to 10:00 pm in almost every sit down restaurant. Walk in wait times were hours long! We ended up eating in fast food places virtually every meal because those were the only ones we could get into.

Did not like that system at all. It was impossible to dine anywhere nice on a whim. Hate to see the same thing happen on Celebrity. Spontaneity will be virtually eliminated.

I am thinking the same way.

However, I found on my last cruises that nobody denied me to access a restaurant only because I had no reservation. I will never ever go back to RCCL for my overall experience on board AOTS - BUT one good thing were the two different main dining room lines for people with a reservation and one for people without. Yes, I had to wait 3-5 minutes, but then I was seated, Not the best tables, but I was seated.

I will be on Edge´s maiden voyage because those only four days are within my budget. But I do not see why I should go on her for the normal prices when I can catch me a Silversea or something like that for the same price and avoid being pushed around by 1000 people in the buffet restaurant each and every morning.

So, now we will have to make reservations months in advance for dinner? What a hassle!

Did not like that system at all. It was impossible to dine anywhere nice on a whim. Hate to see the same thing happen on Celebrity. Spontaneity will be virtually eliminated.

Agree on this one. We love Select Dining on another cruise line because it means that we have the choice to go when we want to up until that meal. Ok we sometimes have to wait for about 15 minutes or more but that isn't a major issue and it means that we can 'go with the flow'. Booking months in advance really does not appeal to us - may as well have fixed dining times.

I really enjoy reading all the conjecture about dining reservations.... the ship has not been fully accepted by X nor has the dining venues been stocked... Only sample menus and even some of those are causing agita for some because of what is not included on them... LOL

Like current ships sailing for X with Select Dining, reservations are an option. I would think that if one could not get into a desired restaurant within 15 - 20 minutes after showing up, then there are other 'no additional charge' venues in which to dine.

Currently on all X ships, if one just shows up during 'prime time' dining, one has to wait regardless. We always showed up a bit earlier than when we wanted to dine if there was a specific time we wanted to eat...

No need to create anxiety before the actual sailing. Yes, there are some of us who want to eat when we want to eat - just like at home, just go into the kitchen and voila - its' dinner!

Those who are going on the 'Maiden Voyages' of The Edge, please know there will possibly be hiccups in all of this, to be sure... Soooo, go with the flow and either make reservations in advance which you can possibly change either before sailing or once you board.

I think many of us are so fortunate to have an experience like this, that 'pre-complaining' about something which we do not have any knowledge about, factually or through experience, is not warranted IMO... maybe after a few months sailing.

bon appetite and bon voyage

Hi there! It will be our first large cruise ever on the Edge in Sep 2019. I have questions. I'm reading the threads and everyone is talking about wait times for the dining room. We selected to dine at anytime. Are there really wait times? With a ship that is 2900 people and these smaller intimate dining rooms how could they possibly seat everyone with a "dine anytime" selection?