What to wear on Christmas river cruise

iwannacruz

We are a family of four adults - husband and wife and son and daughter. Wife is concerned about the cold weather. What do you recommend to bring in the way of jackets and boots or any other essential article of clothing. We are doing the Danube Waltz on Viking.

We had layers with fleeces and the thinsulate water resistant down jackets- I also wore a long underwear silk shirt some days my husband did not- I did buy a hat when it was raining the one day - umbrella was a pain in markets

I packed my boots at the last minute - I wore them many days for warmth and snow

We are a family of four adults - husband and wife and son and daughter. Wife is concerned about the cold weather. What do you recommend to bring in the way of jackets and boots or any other essential article of clothing. We are doing the Danube Waltz on Viking.

When are you cruise?

Which part of the Danube are you cruising?

Which towns will you be visiting?

have you checked the Internet for avaerage weather patterns?

There are a few other threads on this topic if you look (here are the first couple I came across - search is upper right of the page)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2555842&highlight=wearing+christmas+markets

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2551516&highlight=wearing+christmas+markets

We did NUE-BSL in Dec 2014 and I didn't think our weather was that cold and very rarely rainy. On the other hand, my MIL was very cold all the time. (despite us having talked with her about packing warmth layers for a YEAR in advance of the trip, I still had to give her one of my merino tees ;-) Layers, waterproof on the outside, but it's not the arctic, so.....I agree to check the weather averages in the towns where you'll be during the dates you'll be there and pack for how YOU feel the cold, or don't.

When are you cruise?

Which part of the Danube are you cruising?

Which towns will you be visiting?

have you checked the Internet for avaerage weather patterns?

We are cruising from Dec 14-21. We start in Budapest and end in Passau. We visit Brastislavia, Vienna, Melk, and Linz.

I have looked at average weather for that time of year which could be around freezing. Looking for suggestions on particular brands of clothing or boots that are good. We live in South Carolina and it doesn't usually get that cold around here so what we have as winter clothes might not keep us warm.

There are a few other threads on this topic if you look (here are the first couple I came across - search is upper right of the page)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2555842&highlight=wearing+christmas+markets

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2551516&highlight=wearing+christmas+markets

We did NUE-BSL in Dec 2014 and I didn't think our weather was that cold and very rarely rainy. On the other hand, my MIL was very cold all the time. (despite us having talked with her about packing warmth layers for a YEAR in advance of the trip, I still had to give her one of my merino tees ;-) Layers, waterproof on the outside, but it's not the arctic, so.....I agree to check the weather averages in the towns where you'll be during the dates you'll be there and pack for how YOU feel the cold, or don't.

Thanks! Just what I was looking for.

We are cruising from Dec 14-21. We start in Budapest and end in Passau. We visit Brastislavia, Vienna, Melk, and Linz.

I have looked at average weather for that time of year which could be around freezing. Looking for suggestions on particular brands of clothing or boots that are good. We live in South Carolina and it doesn't usually get that cold around here so what we have as winter clothes might not keep us warm.

Perfect time for visiting some wonderful Christmas Markets.

Weather can be a bit chilly around 0°C, snow is unlikely we get it mostly in January & February.

As others have stated the secret is layers, if it old put another on if it is warm take one off. We do not dress for the Artic, hat, gloves and scarf are always a good thing to have.

I have lived in NC for 20 yrs but grew up in New England and prefer cold to heat ;-) I brought a mid-weight waterproof coat (nylon, not wool - wool is too heavy and not waterproof ;-) Fleece hat & gloves, wool scarves (I bring scarves as accessories - color - AND warmth). A couple of lightweight warmth layers - I have merino tees (long and short sleeve) from all over the place- including costco for $20 and icebreaker for...more ;-) And some lighter/cheaper options from cuddl duds and uniqlo heattech. And a couple of light cashmere & merino sweaters as the 2nd layer. Most days on our trip, I didn't need the cashmere over the merino - I just wore one or the other. I did bring silk long underwear bottoms but never needed to wear them while touring (I used them as lounge wear in the cabin instead) and fleece lined tights (which I did wear with my merino dress just because they're cute ;-) I didn't wear denim (I don't wear jeans at home often and I never travel with them - prefer something more flexible like a black pant that can be casual or a little more dressy, and also dries more quickly).

We did a Viking cruise (I believe it was December 2015) and we were on deck with just t-shirts on (and in the evening just cardigans) it was one of the warmest winters they had had on record - so can't always tell what the weather will be like but normally for us it rains instead of nice crisp frosts and snow (Viking have a certain amount of umbrellas but best to take a fold up small one!) - have a lovely cruise - we are again doing the Rhine Getaway 14-21 on the Mani (Amsterdam to Basel) and then embarking on the Viking Sky on the 23rd December for Xmas.

Further to my below reply we used to go on golfing holidays in Myrtle Beach in Jan/Feb (OH played the golf and I walked the beach) and often woke up to a frost early in the morning but it soon cleared. We don't fly long haul any more after I suffered a DVT.

We did a Viking cruise (I believe it was December 2015) and we were on deck with just t-shirts on (and in the evening just cardigans) it was one of the warmest winters they had had on record - so can't always tell what the weather will be like but normally for us it rains instead of nice crisp frosts and snow (Viking have a certain amount of umbrellas but best to take a fold up small one!) - have a lovely cruise - we are again doing the Rhine Getaway 14-21 on the Mani (Amsterdam to Basel) and then embarking on the Viking Sky on the 23rd December for Xmas.