Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 19

Pictures taken between Monday, May 7 and Sunday, May 13.

Rules:

This isn't a contest.

Prizes will not be awarded.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacation and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera.

Share your fun with others.

The fun is your prize and it's a good one!

Mark:

Very impressed by the bee in flight!

How did you do it?

Thank You.

I was sitting on our deck just playing around with "focus modes" and shutter speeds. The Bees will hover for a second or two, allowing for a tenuous focus lock. Trying to track focus from there ended up being the "fun" part of the exercise.

Really it was Patience, trial and error, and some major Lightroom cropping that got those captures.

I find I learn quite a bit "sitting on the deck".

41302072524_ec595457f2_b.jpg

41301597094_e428279435_b.jpg

41302074734_5a1d98bc9c_b.jpg

Mark

This week was the last T-ball game of the season. Over the weeks, Matthew has progressed from vaguely interested to really enjoying himself. Here we see him caught during a screaming charge from third to home. I was testing the tracking focus on the new camera and even with the kit lens, it nailed focus on every one of the 27 frames of every step as he passed me by. I really wasn’t planning on using a baseball shot since there have been a couple already this year, but his expression and body language made the selection for me. I have been slow to make a decision on a good telephoto but it seems the grandchildren may force the issue sooner rather than later.

Focused

p2867269686-5.jpg

Dave

Gorgeous birds and flowers - and very cool bee in flight work this week...and focus looks pretty dark spot on there Dave!

As usual, late to the weekly thread since it always ENDS with a weekend, and I just downloaded my stuff from yesterday. It was a rainy, overcast day for us in the wetlands - all day drizzle and no sun, but the cloudy light actually makes for some nice feather details on birds, and the drizzle was light enough to not really get that wet walking around without an umbrella:

A big alligator, cruising through the open waters and staying at the surface since the sun wasn't out - they like to stay toasty and can't do it with their cold blood:

original.jpg

This basilisk lizard was lounging on a rotting sideboard of the boardwalk - as I got closer, he actually scooted up closer to that bolt as if he was defending it so I didn't steal it from him:

original.jpg

A juvenile grackle was yelling for food - the parent was standing on an opposite reed and didn't have any food to give, but the juvenile wasn't going to give up:

original.jpg

The sneaky and hard to find least bittern was actually out in the open, walking the lily pads and looking for fish - letting me get surprisingly close:

original.jpg

While heading out of the wetlands, a wood stork father noticed my equipment, and asked if I was a professional. I told him I was a sort of part-time pro - only occasionally doing a hired shoot - his 4 kids were growing up and he wanted to get a nice family portrait of the 4 siblings together. I decided to give in, as he was a proud dad - and the kids were actually being cooperative for a change - I lined them up and took a portrait of the 4 kids together - they were really cooperative and posed nicely for me:

original.jpg

Lava River Cave outside Flagstaff. Brought a tripod along and did some time exposures while "painting" the walls with our headlamps. (First time in a true blackest of black darkness and silence - awesome!)

image.jpg

Cave selfie:

image.jpg

NzqsavPx9hBNlfFun2d-ENlivl69xVrjRLlrCptb0aDdAinUnIYoAeSwXkUYTbE3tX7qMuhP_0JEvvTGx4La-FYyzk-EXvJe6OfTrynGvVOhkW7giXeMEF6IBIlCFgxe5pM7Nc9qol1ZpyQo0XGwmQlJi3umbtg1RC01Yhi3Oq_2LWovJ_nvQJMOW3pyDPrbZmeMtw8QmtKv1MeUoZoFJBWrjBBbHDYlFBOYjg04UGSRN7-xY79t8tdnXvVvx4AgmlvF07jV80sDtDq_IfCD_ktaLGTzmw4xbInEQPBoDNo8prRIQKe4SyfTjxuLF4n7wYkoTaEfP2FrUkDX-gsVjSk3B2L-g8G026NPAEWE3wsbndHr5BpxOtQhme83234ypQiO1G5gEWQffTFT-fb3iEb6zw2BrNbk2OnIkxnCiZasAhNHyeETimVS2FJUmX_vhYfZiIEtxetz8or4EYvXdq1tk9Y5B-6tWPHv_E1zGoTAX264ztbEhGes59cjUpskcvJplc7j204gtgPbn1OvlyN4UoEC4r_9SSr38QW5RXs7DR138w-86-d2cTDsc5W30TeawhQgF5nOJjzruuauXOwAJ-V7XRUVOotCatg8=w870-h869-no

The bee in the centre of the flower thoroughly enjoyed itself in there for quite some time - I thought at first it was trapped somehow - but then it flew off and came back again for another look.