New Bliss and Suites = Rip Off

I’m totally upset with this ship (Bliss) and cruise line.

We paid for a nice Aft Cabin which includes the Haven, a few things they don’t tell you when you book.

1) The Haven up front has a bar, 20 seconds from all rooms inside the Haven. If you have to get alcohol in the rear suites it’s a two floor walk and takes 10 minutes. They charge to bring it to your room so don’t ask.

2) The smoke stack puts nasty black mess all over the back where you can’t even use the porch except when docked if they cleaned it.

3) The Go Kart track is a sham you have to pay $9.99 a person to ride once.

4) Don’t pay for a suite they rip you off and it’s not worth it.

Ummm...the aft cabins are in the aft of the ship. The Haven is in the front. This is the same set-up as all the other NCL mega-ships.

Did you do any research before you booked this trip? Aft cabins occasionally have issues with soot. It is mentioned over and over on this board that room service drinks are not covered under the beverage package. And it's not a secret that there is a charge for the go-karts.

Don't complain about things that you obviously care about but you didn't bother to look up any information before you left. And even if you booked this before all the information came out, people on this board could have shared all of this with you years ago if you had bothered to ask.

Sorry to be so snarky, but none of this should have been a surprise.

• Like 3

1) Sorry, it is clear when you book if you look at the deck plans that the aft havens are way far away from the actual Haven club. It is a trade off - great aft cabin v in Haven proper. We chose the similar aft on Breakaway. Loved it but yes a pain. But this is not hidden, is very clear from the deck plans.

2) Aft balconies do get some soot, that is also well known if you do any research at all. We still book whenever we can. We are not that picky about a bit of soot and indeed have taken a towel to do a quick wipe down ourselves.

3) Go-kart pricing is not a secret. I would never spend money on it, but unless it was advertised as free, not a sham. A waste of $, for us, but perhaps not for others.

4) We find suites on NCL to be well worth the money with the extra perks, Cagneys, Butler, concierge. Not so on Carnival, there just a bit of extra real estate. Subjective. Why do you feel a rip off? Specifically?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

We’ve been on other aft cabins with no issues. This one is so bad the entire back porch is dark black like a coal mine.

Why would the cruise line charge people $9 for go karts? That’s just stupid sorry.

As far as the Haven and the bar inside I’m sorry but not every Haven is the same. The other ship with the Haven we went on (Epic) has a gym, this one doesn’t.

So yes information is out there but the cruise lines are ripping people off.

I’m glad you have tons of extra time to do research on every question you have, that’s great. Sorry to be snarky but not everyone has as much free time.

I have to say, and I realize this may sound unsympathetic, but had you done some homework online before booking you would have known all of this. We always check our cabin location on a deck plan before booking so there's no surprises. The bar in the Haven is no different than any other on the ship. No need to go all the way up there if you want alcohol. There's no less than 10+ bars between the aft and the front of the ship. Have not read a single complaint regarding soot on the aft balconies of this ship. Not saying it didn't happen to you however do you think it might be a slight exaggeration that you couldn't use the balcony at all while at sea?

The go-kart track cost is another thing that is readily available since it's inception. They did raise the price recently however it was done because of the overwhelming popularity. On a ship that carries 4000+ passengers, it's going to be very difficult to be able to ride it whenever you wish. Again, though, this is something that most would have realized with so many folks on one ship for a 7 day cruise.

I hate that you came away with what sounds like an overall negative opinion of the Bliss. Use this as a learning experience so you'll know what to research ahead of time next time.

Ah but NCL calls them Haven Aft Facing Penthouse with balcony.

I can see where there would be confusion and appreciate reading the OPs comments.

4501f6a044579d0bf2ce41d2ca35228e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I’m totally upset with this ship (Bliss) and cruise line.

We paid for a nice Aft Cabin which includes the Haven, a few things they don’t tell you when you book.

1) The Haven up front has a bar, 20 seconds from all rooms inside the Haven. If you have to get alcohol in the rear suites it’s a two floor walk and takes 10 minutes. They charge to bring it to your room so don’t ask.

2) The smoke stack puts nasty black mess all over the back where you can’t even use the porch except when docked if they cleaned it.

3) The Go Kart track is a sham you have to pay $9.99 a person to ride once.

4) Don’t pay for a suite they rip you off and it’s not worth it.

Just a little bit of research would have helped you immensely. Did you pick your own cabin? If so did you happen to notice where things are on the ship? I agree 10 dollars for an 8 lap race is not worth it, then again I wouldn't bother.

Honestly if someone is going to spend thousands of dollars on a cruise it makes sense to do research. Each ship can be very different, even in the same cruise line. There are so many resources especially CC that hard to have sympathy for a something that could have very easily been found.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes...and if you would have made time to do some research or even glanced at any discussion that includes the Epic Haven you would see it said over and over again that the Epic Haven is the best (although the observation lounge on the Bliss may usurp that rating) and the only one with a gym. And by the way, if you have an aft cabin on the Epic, you have to walk to the Haven bar there as well.

Again, sorry this is ruining your trip. Sure, blame NCL for the soot. But the rest...

I make it a priority to know what to expect when I cruise so I don't have to waste time complaining. That's why I clicked on this in the first place -- to see why I shouldn't book a suite on the Bliss.

I did my research and I’ve been on 14 cruises so let’s try this again.

1) Never had a coal mine out back like this ship it’s horrible. Usually a little black specks on the Aft but nothing this bad.

2) They should figure out a better way for Haven aft cabins to get drinks without having to go up to deck 15 in the front, especially when all other Haven cabins have a bar 20 steps away.

3) They shouldn’t charge anyone paying thousands for a cruise $9.99 for go kart rides.

So what I’m saying is if you do pay for the Haven on this ship don’t get an AFT cabin as it’s not worth it whatsoever. Sure you get nice views in port but when we’re underway the back can’t be used.

I’ll have pics and videos as well as a full review up once home.

When we do aft penthouses, we will get drinks from the bar between Cagney's and whichever other restaurant that ship has. Sorry about your soot situation... that sucks. After having some soot in an aft PH on Breakaway some years back, I now bring a 2nd pair of flip flops which I only use out there.

Well the soot is so bad you can’t see out the glass out back or sit on the chairs. Also if you touch or lean on anything it ruins your clothing.

On floor 13 the nearest bar is two floors up on 15th at the very front of the ship or 5 floors down. Total time to walk, get a drink (in line) get back to the room is over 20 minutes min.

NCL provides a private bar to the Haven guests in the front. When they advertise these rooms as “The Haven Aft Penthouse Suites” they really should provide us with a closer bar or not charge us $35 service fee for the Butler to bring us wine with our dinner in the room.

2) They should figure out a better way for Haven aft cabins to get drinks without having to go up to deck 15 in the front, especially when all other Haven cabins have a bar 20 steps away. They could treat the aft-penthouses on the Bliss as non-Haven cabins, like those on the other ships. BTW, I cruise in an aft-penthouse. I'll be on the Breakaway for my next cruise and am excited as this will be my first aft-penthouse that has access to the Haven (I've always cruise the smaller ships, where they have no access to the Haven).

3) They shouldn’t charge anyone paying thousands for a cruise $9.99 for go kart rides. Why do they charge, because people will pay, so why not use it for a revenue stream.

Research, research, research!

I did my research and I’ve been on 14 cruises so let’s try this again.

1) Never had a coal mine out back like this ship it’s horrible. Usually a little black specks on the Aft but nothing this bad.

2) They should figure out a better way for Haven aft cabins to get drinks without having to go up to deck 15 in the front, especially when all other Haven cabins have a bar 20 steps away.

3) They shouldn’t charge anyone paying thousands for a cruise $9.99 for go kart rides.

So what I’m saying is if you do pay for the Haven on this ship don’t get an AFT cabin as it’s not worth it whatsoever. Sure you get nice views in port but when we’re underway the back can’t be used.

I’ll have pics and videos as well as a full review up once home.

1. All aft balconies have soot issues. It doesn’t matter what ship, cruise line, etc. Royal Caribbean’s are worse than NCL’s, IMO.

2 . You realize you could have gotten drinks at ANY BAR on the ship, not just in The Haven, right? It’s not like the Haven bar is free if you don’t have the beverage package......

3. They charge for two reasons - one, because they can and people will pay and two, to limit the number of people actually using it. With 5,000 people on board, they have to limit it somehow. Sort of like how they charge extra for The Haven.

As others have said, the aft Haven suites are a trade off. Amazing balcony and stateroom but a bit of a hike. We loved our aft on Escape and would happily do it again. Looking at the deck plan should have told you the cabin was nowhere close to the Haven. This one is on you, unfortunately.

“2) We love the Haven and want to stay in a room there again, (BUT) I noticed they have AFT facing cabins, then you have to walk to the Haven. Should we book AFT for Alaska or just a normal side cabin? We had an AFT cabin before and LOVED it!”

From your post in July 2017 when you were in a panic for information because you wanted to book a cruise on that day and didn’t have the time to read through everything it seems that you were aware of your location and that you were going to need to walk to the actual Haven!!

The walk to the Haven has not been an issue for me. I have mobility issues that slow me down but even I made it from an aft cabin to the Haven in 2 Mins. So not sure why the OP said 10 mins. Also like others stated there are a ton of bars between the two.

The $10 for the go carts are not a concern for me either. Keeps it more limited otherwise good luck getting a chance. If free I could see the same people book 20 or 30 rides per cruise. To me it's better then the $5 to bowl

The soot issue could be caused by weather too. Get the right conditions and that could happen on any ship built

To me I would still prefer an Aft Haven cabin on any ship

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I sympathize with OP. Someone spending that kind of money should not have to “research” to learn that aft balconies are sootful. Cruising should not be a matter of better knowledge when paying that much money ... NCL should be upfront about the soot. Also, NCL should be specific that aft balconies may be considered "Haven” based on access to amenities, but not proximity.

With that said, a look at the deck plans might have given enough info about location relative to amenities. However, these folks like OP are coming in to cruising at the high end (i.e., Haven) rather than cutting their teeth on insides ... I would blame the TA :)

Some of you make it sound like taking a vacation requires a course in how to properly enjoy it. If I pay for a premium suite, I expect a top notch experience. Same with a suite in a hotel or a first class ticket on an airplane. And $9.95 to use a ship amenity when you are paying that kind of money? Please. Extensive “research” should not be required.

I do not fault the OP whatsoever for spending that kind of money and not receiving the best of the best, and especially the nickel and dime with the Go Karts. What a joke.