New England Excursions - Anthem OTS

Would like past feedback of best things to do in Bar Harbor, Portland, and Nova Scotia. Any historical experience on private tours versus Ship tours. Best places to see that are hidden gems

TIA

When my son and I did this route, we went on the Horse drawn carriage tour from Iris Farms, in Bar Harbor. It was awesome. The carriage was very large. Probably sat a couple of dozen people. We booked it directly and it picked us up very close to where we arrived by tender. If you have any interest in this tour, I would recommend booking it in advance.

In Portland, we went on the ship's tour to kennebunkport - highly recommend, Then we went on the open air Firetruck city tour (booked on our own), in the afternoon It was a unique way to tour and learn about the city and its history.

In Nova Scotia we did the Segway tour of the city. We booked that on our own too. It was a lot of fun, but definitely challenging rolling through the city and up to the citidel.

Hope you have a great time whatever you choose to do.

Terri

We did this same (similar) cruise on Anthem last October. Bar Harbor booked the Acadia National Park Tour directly on their website...just amazing.....Portland there's a tour done on a Fire Truck that's gotten great reviews...we just walked around town and went to "Holy Donuts" :p.....Halifax we did an amazing tour with Paul McNeal Halifax Historical Titanic Tours...one of the best private tours we've done to date... St John NB we did Dave's Taxi Tours so good.....Boston we did the HOHO...such fun because we had the most entertaining driver...no one wanted to hop off :D

What date is your sailing? Portland is an awesome little city. I would definitely save an appetite for a meal there (Portland Lobster Company is wicked good if you are going to be there in season), when it comes to stuff to do it's really up to what you like. I would personally try to visit the Allagash brewery if I could, I have also taken a harbor cruise which was pleasant. Just walking around the city itself is quite an adventure honestly.

When my son and I did this route, we went on the Horse drawn carriage tour from Iris Farms, in Bar Harbor. It was awesome. The carriage was very large. Probably sat a couple of dozen people. We booked it directly and it picked us up very close to where we arrived by tender. If you have any interest in this tour, I would recommend booking it in advance.

In Portland, we went on the ship's tour to kennebunkport - highly recommend, Then we went on the open air Firetruck city tour (booked on our own), in the afternoon It was a unique way to tour and learn about the city and its history.

In Nova Scotia we did the Segway tour of the city. We booked that on our own too. It was a lot of fun, but definitely challenging rolling through the city and up to the citidel.

Hope you have a great time whatever you choose to do.

Terri

When we took the Kennebunkport tour from the ship last September many on the bus agreed it was a bad tour. It was like the guide was trying to sell us a house but with no historical perspective, just showing us schools and stores.

When we took the Kennebunkport tour from the ship last September many on the bus agreed it was a bad tour. It was like the guide was trying to sell us a house but with no historical perspective, just showing us schools and stores.

We had a different experience for our Portland & Kennebunkport ship's tour. I guess, the tour guide is what makes a tour enjoyable. Enjoyed the lobster roll in K.

To the Op, not sure if you are stopping in Halifax, but may I recommend the ship's tour of Peggy's Cove and the Titanic Cemetery where some 120+ souls are buried. Very educational and sad.

On our August '16, 9 niter cruise 2 unusual events took place:

1. When we left Bayonne, the Captain made a wrong turn :D up the Hudson. What a sight to see the NYC skyline and the Statue of Liberty. More amazing was the turning of the ship by Battery Park to proceed on our merry way. What a sight from 2 x70.

2. Pleasant surprise at dinner when we left Bar Harbor. Specialty was whole lobsters. We heard that RCL purchased some $250k in lobsters. Also, the next day at lunch in the MDR there was a shrimp & lobster roll on the menu. It was good.

Looking forward to our upcoming 9 niter on the Anthem this August and wondering if we'll enjoy it as much as the one in 2016. I do know, no Dynamic Dining:( which we enjoyed so much.

However, I look forward to the Tutti salad bar on sea days in the assigned MDR to go along with the wonderful dessert table and flowing chocolate fountain. This was on our 12 niter on the Anthem this February.

yes definitely to the Peggy's cove and the Titanic Cemetery in Halifax.

for Portland I would do the 3 lighthouses tour and then walk up a couple of blocks to some neat shops. Portland is home base for the Stonewall Kitchen products. They have a great store.

Bar Harbor I would say a tour of Acadia and then walk around town. There are many nice shops and a neat restaurant called "Route 66"