Did I just make a costly MISTAKE????

takeadip

:oHi Fellow Critics:

I was on the fence between a "Mini Suite" and a "Family Suite" for our "2nd ever NCL Cruise" on 5/25/19 "Dawn" sailing from NYC to Bahamas & Florida (7 Days).

About us: (Me 42) (DW 39) (son 8) and our new baby boy will be (1 1/2) at time of sailing. We cruised once before 2 years ago (same cruise) except on the "Breakaway" where we scores an unbelievable upgrade from a mini to a (2) bedroom Family Penthouse "Haven" and loved every single minute of it.

so naturally my (DW) is now "accustomed" to the treatment we received in the "haven " that now she pushed me into booking a "Family Suite" with no balcony on the "Dawn". The price difference for the (4) of us from a mini suite to this much larger family suite with Butler and Concierge was close to (10) one hundred dollar bills.

Here is the potential "Mistake".....breakaway is no longer in NYC...our son loved the ship...we loved the ship...we didn't use the slides (cold!!!!) but loved the private Haven area and special Haven restaurant..

I was in a rush to book due to the pick 5 offer with free taxes that I didn't research the ship...the Dawn as you all know does not have a Haven area....and no slides...im wondering if we would have been better off in a mini suite and could have saved the money...

Are the Family Suites worth the extra money? yes we will use the butler and concierge..and will enjoy the larger state room being that this cruise we will be a family of (4)...and having a sit down breakfast and lunch venue will be a plus.

Im wrestling with weather I should have just booked a Mini and hoped for a winning bid through the upgrade program...

-Mark

The family suites on the Dawn are some of the cheapest suites in the fleet. You'll still get the suite breakfast and lunch options. Deck 12 is very quiet area and close to pool and buffet. You'll be able to go up a couple floors to the front balcony area which isn't usually over-crowded.

The 8 YO is probably right on the border for using the back, kids pool section but it might be an option. The room will be bigger and that alone will make it better for 4 of you.

I'd say that price difference is not that bad IMO and not worth risking a possible upgrade bid that never works out.

You cannot go wrong with a family suite on the Dawn or Star. Best value in the fleet IMO. If your family loved the VIP life on your previous cruise, you made the perfect choice. All the perks included with a suite on NCL make for an entirely (better) cruise than being in steerage. You made the right choice. Don't look back.

The family suites on the Dawn are some of the cheapest suites in the fleet. You'll still get the suite breakfast and lunch options. Deck 12 is very quiet area and close to pool and buffet. You'll be able to go up a couple floors to the front balcony area which isn't usually over-crowded.

The 8 YO is probably right on the border for using the back, kids pool section but it might be an option. The room will be bigger and that alone will make it better for 4 of you.

I'd say that price difference is not that bad IMO and not worth risking a possible upgrade bid that never works out.

Dex ... you are right about the risk factor... I didn’t really consider what if we didn’t get the upgrade... and at what cost... I think we made the correct decision. Thanks for the input

Your son will like the kids pool area in the back of the ship. There are a couple small slides and pools there. Bonus for the parents there is a hot tub there that no one goes in because it is in the kids area. Nice aft views too.

Your son will like the kids pool area in the back of the ship. There are a couple small slides and pools there. Bonus for the parents there is a hot tub there that no one goes in because it is in the kids area. Nice aft views too.

Thanks mist... good point plus our 8 yr old son is young at heart.. he loves anything that is kid related... the hot tub will be a nice bonus!!

We love the SJ suites - the windows give gorgeous views and it's an easy walk to the pool. There can be good lounge chairs available up outside Cagneys/Moderno that are a bit less crowded than in the pool area (and a bit further away from the loud band music, though you can still enjoy it). No fancy slides (the ones in the kiddie pool are pretty small).

The front elevators also seem to be the fastest for getting around the ship and avoiding midship congestion -- you can move quickly to any floor but the one Cagneys/Moderno are on (13, I think).

Have a wonderful time!

We love the SJ suites - the windows give gorgeous views and it's an easy walk to the pool. There can be good lounge chairs available up outside Cagneys/Moderno that are a bit less crowded than in the pool area (and a bit further away from the loud band music, though you can still enjoy it). No fancy slides (the ones in the kiddie pool are pretty small).

The front elevators also seem to be the fastest for getting around the ship and avoiding midship congestion -- you can move quickly to any floor but the one Cagneys/Moderno are on (13, I think).

Have a wonderful time!

Great points DAisy!!! I think we are gonna stick with our suite... my wife is very happy with the decision either way I will post a long in-depth review of our experience like I did for our 3/05/16 sailing on the breakaway!!!! (People still email me about how great the review was received) lol

I am so glad we gave access to these boards for all of the ever changing info on NCL policies and pricing strategies with all the tips and little gems of information offered by fellow critics!!!

Great points DAisy!!! I think we are gonna stick with our suite... my wife is very happy with the decision either way I will post a long in-depth review of our experience like I did for our 3/05/16 sailing on the breakaway!!!! (People still email me about how great the review was received) lol

I am so glad we gave access to these boards for all of the ever changing info on NCL policies and pricing strategies with all the tips and little gems of information offered by fellow critics!!!

If you don't get an email to bid, go to the NCL website and an upgrade offer will be there when you log in. They will let you know what categories are available to put in a bid for. Bids usually aren't accepted/rejected until two days before sailing. We're in a balcony now and have a bid in for the SJ on the Dawn. I've been in an SJ and it really is the perfect location!

If you don't get an email to bid, go to the NCL website and an upgrade offer will be there when you log in. They will let you know what categories are available to put in a bid for. Bids usually aren't accepted/rejected until two days before sailing. We're in a balcony now and have a bid in for the SJ on the Dawn. I've been in an SJ and it really is the perfect location!

thanks for the info!!! Im glad i posted something here about the suites because i really don't see a lot of discussions about the Dawn...i mean ...i know its not a mega ship but the chatter is extremely light.

it seams the people who have stayed in these suites have really enjoyed them.