Can I help with any Malaga info?

campolady

We live mid-way between Malaga and Granada and know the city of Malaga well.

If anyone visiting Malaga on a cruise has any questions I will be happy to do my best to help - the city is not great at promoting itself which is such a shame as it has so much to offer.

• Like 1

Thanks for offering to help with Malaga. We are planning on spending the day walking around town. The places to see I have on my list are the Alcazabal Palace, Plaza de la Merced, Cathedral de Malaga, Malaga Parque and Gibralfaro Castle. Any additions or deletions you might suggest?

Malaga is very pedestrian friendly and the main historical is compact so your itinerary is easily do-able. The Cathedral is stunning (called the One Armed Lady as its second tower was not completed; reputedly the city bigwigs decided to give the money put aside for its construction to American rebel forces in the American Civil War in their fight against the British) and must not be missed; the Alcazaba and Gibralfaro Castle are also well worth visiting.

The Park is nice - and close to the Port - but is the least interesting part of your tour.

Take the number 35 bus from outside the park opposite the port up to Gibralfaro Castle - you can buy a dual ticket for both this and the Alcazaba to save a little money although the 2 sites are not linked by pathways. If you are a Senior there is a good price reduction as long as you have some form of documentation showing your date of birth / age.

One place you should not miss for a real taste of the Mediterranean is the indoor Ataranzana Market (see http://www.andalucia.com/cities/malaga/ataranzas-market.htm for details).

Another place of interest - right below the entrance to the Alcazaba - is the Roman Amphitheatre where, although excavations are on-going, you can go in and sit on the tiered seating.

Malaga has some of the best Tapas Bars you will find anywhere so don' t miss trying several of these - if you don' t know the name of what you want just point! Malaga is especially famous for its Fritura Malaguena which is an assorted of small fried fish and VERY tasty. For a real taste of Malaga visit the Antigua Casa La Guardia on the Alameda Principal, El Pimpi opposite the Amphitheatre and El Jardin behind the Cathedral.

I hope this helps a little - if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to re-post.

• Like 2

Take the number 35 bus from outside the park opposite the port up to Gibralfaro Castle - you can buy a dual ticket for both this and the Alcazaba to save a little money although the 2 sites are not linked by pathways. If you are a Senior there is a good price reduction as long as you have some form of documentation showing your date of birth / age.

Taking the bus or a taxi up to the castle would be a big help. DH and I waked from Alcazaba to the castle. The climb up is an "aerobic workout." :p The walk down is very easy and the view is stunning.

I did a mini review with pictures of many of the attractions the OP mentioned. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1943595

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

The walk down is very easy and the view is stunning.[/url]

If you walk 5 minutes down from the Castle you arrive at the Hotel Parador Gibralfaro which is a great place to stop for Coffee (or a glass of one of the famous local Malaga Wines which are similar to Sherry) and spectacular views http://www.paradores-spain.com/spain/pmgibralfaro.html. You can pick the bus up again at the entrance to the Parador grounds to take you back into the city centre or the Parador staff with gladly call you a taxi as, although it is downhill all the way, it takes quite a time to walk back into the city which is time spent better seeing more of the sites.

Edited by campolady

If you walk 5 minutes down from the Castle you arrive at the Hotel Parador Gibralfaro which is a great place to stop for Coffee (or a glass of one of the famous local Malaga Wines which are similar to Sherry) and spectacular views http://www.paradores-spain.com/spain/pmgibralfaro.html. You can pick the bus up again at the entrance to the Parador grounds to take you back into the city centre or the Parador staff with gladly call you a taxi as, although it is downhill all the way, it takes quite a time to walk back into the city which is time spent better seeing more of the sites.

It only took us 12 minutes to walk back down from the castle. Going up was 30 minutes. [ugh!]

Thanks Campolady for the extra tips and DragonOfTheSeas for the mini review an pictures. Now I have more of an idea of what I'll be seeing.

You are most welcome. Malaga is a great destination sadly missed by so many people who automatically book trips to Granada, Mijas or elsewhere. Of all the ' big' cities in Spain Malaga has, IMO, the most to offer.

We will be on the same cruise with geospyder. I have already been to Granada and Malaga albeit many years ago, and dh is more interested in seeing Malaga and the Roman Theater.

Thank you to campolady, DragonOfTheSeas, and VMax1700 for your information and to geospyder for pointing me to this thread. It is very helpful. Seeing the Roman Theater is our top priority although we would like to see the other sights too.

campolady, do you have any suggestions for local wine? We prefer white wine, but more importantly local wine. Do you know how old a person must be to be considered a senior in Malaga?

Kathy

Edited by TourDeCruise
Same cruises as geospyder & have already been to Granada

campolady, do you have any suggestions for local wine? We prefer white wine, but more importantly local wine. Do you know how old a person must be to be considered a senior in Malaga?

Kathy

Hi Kathy.

Malaga wines are Fortified Wines similar to Sherry NOT red or white table wines that you would drink with a meal. They range from very dry to very sweet - for a first try I would suggest a Pedro Ximenez that is mid range. Have a trip into the Antigua Casa de Guardia on Malagas main street Avenida Alameda Principal - here there are casks of all varieties of Malaga Wines and the staff speak some English so can help you choose - try several and your running total is chalked up on the old wooden bar. The bar is one of the oldest bars in Malaga dating back to the mid 1800s - reputedly it was previously the jail hence its name. The atmosphere is wonderful and prices cheap making it especially popular at lunchtimes with local working Malagueños. http://antiguacasadeguardia.net/home.html

You have to be over 65 to get Seniors rates - e.g. in the Picasso Museum this gets you a 50% discount.

Edited by campolady

For anyone sailing into Malaga on a Sunday I should have added that there is free entry to Gibralfaro Castle for any age group every Sunday after 14.00 hours. Some other attractions also offer free entry on a Sunday (the Picasso Museum does this once a month).

Edited by campolady

VMAX1700

Campolady

The famous Malaga dessert wine is the Malaga Virgen. Pedro Ximenez is very similar, but is actually a Sherry.

Londontowner - Pedro Ximenez is a grape used for both Sherries AND Malaga Wines. http://www.andalucia.com/gastronomy/malagawines.htm Quitapenas is one of the best known Malaga Pedro Ximenez wines; you can see this, and other makes, here http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A7x9Qb8Gn9ZSJxUAjhFLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTB2Z251ZWQxBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2lyZAR2dGlkA01TWVVLMDhfODE-?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-190&va=pedro+ximenez+malaga+wine

Edited by campolady

Over 20 years ago we took a trip to Marbella with my parents. We would all love to go over there and have lunch/walk around. My parents are in their 80's and don't want to take buses, etc. Is their a driver they can hire to take us over and back?

Thank you for all the valuable information on this thread. I'll put the sherry & wine information on my iPad to reference when in Malaga, and I just purchased the Amazon Kindle version of "Footsteps through the City of Malaga" for my iPad. Keep the good information coming. Thanks! Kathy

Over 20 years ago we took a trip to Marbella with my parents. We would all love to go over there and have lunch/walk around. My parents are in their 80's and don't want to take buses, etc. Is their a driver they can hire to take us over and back?

I have replied to your other post on this subject. Hope it helps.

in Torremolinos after our cruise as part of a tour but we are mostly on our own.

How hard is it to get to Malaga?

Do you have any suggestions for a tours/tour companies to Morocco, Seville, Cordoba, Grenada, Ronda.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Terry and Nancy

in Torremolinos after our cruise as part of a tour but we are mostly on our own.

Do you have any suggestions for a tours/tour companies to Morocco, Seville, Cordoba, Grenada, Ronda.

Terry and Nancy

There is a train service from Torremolinos to Malaga every 20 minutes; the journey takes about 25 minutes and the fare only costs around 2€ per person. Stay on the train right to the end of the line - Alameda Station - for visiting the old historic centre. There is also a frequent bus service but this takes an hour - get off at the port and you are only a couple of minutes walk from the historic centre.

Viajes Costafrica do excellent excursions/tours to all the places you mention - they have an office in Torremolinos or you can book in advance at http://www.costafrica.com/; Granada and Ronda are also easily done by local bus. If you decide to travel to Granada independently remember that you need to pre-book tickets for the Alhambra well in advance; tickets can be booked up to 3 months ahead http://www.ticketmaster.es/nav/landings/en/mucho_mas/entradas_alhambra/index.html?loce=es-sayt?q=alhambra&t=fast .

Hope this helps. Where are you staying in Torremolinos?

By the way, remember, if searching on line for information about Granada, it is GrAnada not GrEnada

Edited by campolady

Terry and Nancy

I don't know your ages and no offence intended, but if you are over 60 you can get a 'Tarjeta Dorada' which gives substantial discounts for train journeys.

more info on the RENFE site. Train to Sevilla and Cordoba.........

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/tarifas/tarjeta_dorada.html

Edited by VMax1700

I don't know your ages and no offence intended, but if you are over 60 you can get a 'Tarjeta Dorada' which gives substantial discounts for train journeys.

more info on the RENFE site. Train to Sevilla and Cordoba.........

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/tarifas/tarjeta_dorada.html

Absolutely correct.

However, there are no trains to Seville or Cordoba from Torremolinos - you would have to travel into Malaga first (get off at the main station Maria Zambrano.