Stingray City, Grand Cayman

lovetotraveltx

I have used Captain Marvin's three times and loved it each time (#4 will be in February). We had about 15 people on our boat. Much few than the cruise line cattle wagon excursion and we snorkeled in two spots.

For those of you that have done the a Stingray City Excursion, about how many people were on your boat? Did you enjoy it? Pros and Cons, thank you!

I took a cursory look around last week and just as a data point, Moby Dick and Acquarius were decent, Anchor tours was unbelievably packed, and Red Sail was amazingly empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've used Captain Marvin and it was a great day. Picked up at the port and only about 8 of us on the boat. Beat most of the other charters to the sandbar so had lots of space and as it wasn't crowded we had a lot of interaction with the stingrays. Well worth going with Captain Marvin.

It doesn't really matter how many people are on your boat, there will be multiple boats there at the site when you are there. Stingray City is actually a large sand bar, out in the ocean, water all the way around it, and it is huge. Boats spread out a bit, but when we did it there were several other boats, some pulling in and some leaving as we arrived. They come and go during the time there.

CaymanScreenCapture10-L.jpg

Our boat had maybe 20 people on it, and we booked it through Carnival. We did the He!!, Turtle Farm, and Stingray City tour. It was a blast.

My video:

Edited by ABQrobin
added video

Used Captain Marvins 4 times. About 12-15 on board. Although the sandbar is large so room for all, the benefit we found of Captain Marvins was his crew member held the stingray for you, eased you into holding it for pictures, very accommodating with picture taking even though they had someone videoing for DVD sale later. We noticed people from other boats trying to edge into our group to be more interactive with stingrays.

One thing to note if booking on your own, Cayman Islands do not observe daylight savings time. When booking take into the possibility that there may be an hour time difference if your ship does not change to local time.

Used Captain Marvins 4 times. About 12-15 on board. Although the sandbar is large so room for all, the benefit we found of Captain Marvins was his crew member held the stingray for you, eased you into holding it for pictures, very accommodating with picture taking even though they had someone videoing for DVD sale later. We noticed people from other boats trying to edge into our group to be more interactive with stingrays.

One thing to note if booking on your own, Cayman Islands do not observe daylight savings time. When booking take into the possibility that there may be an hour time difference if your ship does not change to local time.

Did the guides handle the stingrays properly? I've seen them mishandled in the past,(grabbing them by their mouths) and want to avoid any company that doesn't handle them properly.

Thanks