Self Serve Laundry aboard Viking Ocean Ships

60andhappy

Yes. The detergent is free.

On the Star it dispenses automatically. On the Sea, you have the option of using your own detergent, so you must push the button on the wall for your washing machine to dispense the detergent that has been provided. The instructions are a bit confusing. I haven't heard which system is on the Sky.

I was thinking about the self-serve laundry this morning. Bring a couple of lingerie bags to put small items into; it will be easier to get everything out of the dryer. Speaking of which, if you are my height (5 feet), the dryer will be a challenge no matter what you put into it. I could barely see into let alone reach into to get out my clothing--and of course DH was nowhere nearby!

We'll be on the Sky next year. Looking forward to how it handles it. But I did like the auto detergent dispenser. One less thing to pack and manage given that the washers preferred liquid. On the Star I thought the dryers were on the bottom row. The washers were on top. At least that's what they were on the 5th deck. I'm 5'5" btw. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am pretty sure that the answer is 'no' (safety reasons).... but I am wondering if there is an iron in the laundry rooms?

From the Viking Website:

Dry cleaning and laundry services, including pressing, are available for a fee and may be arranged through your housekeeper.

Self-service launderettes including irons and ironing boards are located on Decks 3–6 and are free of charge, including detergent.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/frequently-asked-questions.html

By the way, onboard laundry that you send out is reasonably priced.

We'll be on the Sky next year. Looking forward to how it handles it. But I did like the auto detergent dispenser. One less thing to pack and manage given that the washers preferred liquid. On the Star I thought the dryers were on the bottom row. The washers were on top. At least that's what they were on the 5th deck. I'm 5'5" btw. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is the laundry room on Deck 3 of the Sea. Washers are on the bottom. (I had to find the picture just to jog my memory)

enhance

And while I'm at it, here's a picture of the washing machine control panel. It won't seem so daunting the first time you go to use it. The first time I went to use it, I just stared at like it was written in Martian (yeah, I went for the PC choice of alphabets). It even reminds you that after you start the machine that you have to go over to the soap dispensers on the wall (just out of the picture, on the wall to the right of the machines) and push the button-- dispenser 3 for this machine.

enhance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Peregrina! We sent out for laundry and pressing on our last trip and were very pleased with the pricing and the service, so I was not familiar with the set up.

This next trip it might be handy to have use of an iron once in a while......but I am still going to use their laundry services.

Sharon, would you ask her about the soap dispensers?

Save

When we were on the Sky a couple weeks ago the soap was automatically dispensed. I'll send her an email and see if she has any further info.

I am pretty sure that the answer is 'no' (safety reasons).... but I am wondering if there is an iron in the laundry rooms?

Every now and then, isn't nice to be wrong. :D

As you can see from the photo from the Sky, there are irons in the laundry room. If I remember correctly from my brief visit to the laundry room, the irons aren't just plugged into any old socket and the whole set up has been design with all those safety reasons in mind. I'm not citing an specific safety features because my memory isn't that good. And it was a nice iron, too. Not one of those Proctor-Silex that you buy in the supermarket for $20.

When we were on the Sky a couple weeks ago the soap was automatically dispensed. I'll send her an email and see if she has any further info.

I was wondering. I guess they got some feedback from the Sea passengers that it was too easy to miss the step where you have to press the dispenser button.

Thanks Peregrina! We sent out for laundry and pressing on our last trip and were very pleased with the pricing and the service, so I was not familiar with the set up.

This next trip it might be handy to have use of an iron once in a while......but I am still going to use their laundry services.

We mostly used the laundry service, too--and I agree, nicely priced. However, I had a bunch of things that I didn't want to send to the laundry but that I also didn't want to wash by hand. So I just threw them into the washing machine (in a couple of lingerie bags) and sent them for a spin. Then I brought them back to the cabin and cluttered the bathroom with them. I have four all metal clip hangars that I always travel with so that we can hang our daily hand wash. (And yes, DH does his and I do mine).

I'm waiting for Viking to offer a laundry package similar to the drinks package. My laundry bill is bigger than my bar bill.

• Haha 1

Plan on using the iron on my cotton and linen items. Love having a self service laundry too. Coming from Celebrity, this is indeed, a bonus. I will pack for seven days for my 15 daysailing. We will have six sea days in a row,so doing a little washing and & ironing will be just fine.

Plan on using the iron on my cotton and linen items. Love having a self service laundry too. Coming from Celebrity, this is indeed, a bonus. I will pack for seven days for my 15 daysailing. We will have six sea days in a row,so doing a little washing and & ironing will be just fine.

On our Viking homeland last year, not knowing how easy and nice doing our laundry would be, we packed for 12 days and came home with stuff never worn. When we do Sky next January will know better.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great tips here. I may have to hunt down some metal clips for hand wash. ;)I was thinking about linen & cotton touch ups as well, given our hot/humid itinerary late this year.

It's not just metal clips, it is an all metal hanger with skirt clips. All metal so it won't snap in the suitcase like a plastic one might--and smaller, too. I just googled "metal skirt hanger" looking for a picture of what I have and see that you can buy them at the Container Store and Bed, Bath and Beyond, among other places. I saw other designs among the images but this is what I have.

841010204976p

Save

Thanks Peregrina.

I am thinking that these would work better than using the 'laundry line' in the shower. I found that it took a really long time to dry things with it being a glass enclosed space......

We used both--stretch the line and hang the hangers, and then keep the shower door ajar for circulation.

IMHO, the most important step in getting things to dry quickly is getting as much moisture out before you hang things up. We roll everything in a towel and twist to wring things out before hanging. The wrinkles aren't a problem here because we only hand wash underwear. Everything else either goes to the laundry or into the washing machine. We ask for extra towels.

Sharon, would you ask her about the soap dispensers?

Save

4952b0a6d977d3933a4583ed475943ef.jpg

Here is the photo of the soap dispensing machine. You press the button and it dispenses the detergent into the washing machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Here is the photo of the soap dispensing machine. You press the button and it dispenses the detergent into the washing machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you both. A picture is definitely better than a thousand words.

Save

We will be on the Sea in November in the Caribbean, so I was very happy to see this information about the washers and dryers. The picture of the control panel on the washer was puzzling to me. I can figure out the setting icons on the left bottom, but what do those 2 rows of icons mean at the top? I am thinking maybe #1 means very dirty loads; maybe #2 is whites? #3 might be permanent press? #4 delicates? But what about #5 and #6? And what about the 2 icons to the right of the time indicator? If anyone can shed some light on this, I would be so grateful!