License Plates

Piper934

• 5 months later...

Cozumel was the hardest to find for me.  Prior to my tour I looked at all the shops within the Carnival Pier, the ones on the main drag for about 3 blocks(both sides of road) and was getting no where.  Did a tour and asked our taxi driver if he knew where I could find one.  Dropped us off for one of our stops, hour later he came back and had one.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably what most cruisers don't know is the country of Mexico never allows you to have your old license plates. To receive new plates, you must turn in your old ones. I am not quite sure what they do with the old ones, but they are never allowed to be purchased in any way. Therefore if you find anybody selling old plates or new plates, they were 99% probably stolen off somebody's vehicle. The only other way to obtain plates that I can think of is if a car is abandoned that has plates. So if you see license plates for sale, please don't buy them. 2 years ago I went on eBay and worked with them to remove all the Cozumel license plates they had for sale. They promised me it would happen after I explained the situation. They never did, so buyer beware. If you buy these plates, you are contributing to an illegal operation and it is a real hassle for us to get new plates for our cars. Many trips and quite costly.