All Things Avalon

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:40 AM.
Pacific North West
4,329 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
The Dockmaster tells the ships where to dock and that doesn't happen until they enter the port. You will need to have the Cruise Director call them (or the driver) in the morning to let them know where we are. They made dozens of calls for passengers to private transportation. The local companies know "about" where you will be. It's not a big deal.

But Avalon won't know until they arrive where exactly they will be. There is little control over the system.
Long Island, NY
6,515 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by SuiteTraveler
I love threads like this and I find them extremely helpful. I would want to know all about the cabins and also the food and what is and is not included and then the tours.

If you ask about specific itineraries I think folks can be more specific. But overall on Avalon everything stated in the brochure for tours is included. Usually no food or drink included but I've been on tours such as Normandy and Rudesheim where there has been food included but it states it in the day to day itinerary. Optional tours take place after lunch and they carry an extra fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Got2Cruise
Planning the cruise is half the fun.
Northern California
1,592 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
We just returned from our first river cruise. We've done many ocean cruises but wanted to try something different. I'm sure glad we did. We were on the 15 day Magnificent Europe River cruise on the Avalon Impression.

I can't say enough great things about this cruise. The crew is top notch and took care of everything. It's not often you see even the Captain loading and unloading luggage. Two liter bottles of water are in your room and replenished as soon as you empty one. Water is also provided on every tour.

There were plenty of offerings at each meal to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. The boat holds 166 passengers and there were 138 onboard. The weather was warm and sunny the entire time.

We did two optional tours - Cesky Krumlov and the Evening concert in Vienna. In Cesky, we had plenty of time to wander about after the guided tour. We enjoyed the concert which was in an old hall and filled with various river boat passengers. 9 musicians, two singers, and two dancers performed. At the conclusion, you are given a DVD of the music played.

We stayed in Budapest after the cruise at the Mercure Budapest City Center hotel. We did the online check in while on the last day of our cruise and said we would be there at 11 am. They had a room waiting for us. The staff took care of arranging a taxi at 3 am (we had a very early flight) and we found the location great for walking all around the city.

If you have any questions, ask away. We will definitely book with Avalon again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Victoria, B.C.
12 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
Thanks for any info about the Avalon cruise from Nuremberg to Budapest, with 3 days in Prague at the beginning and 2 extra nights in Budapest. We cruise in 3 weeks. Can't wait!

Sonia & Dave
Columbus, Ohio
18,630 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by JVilleGal

Maybe this is a little clearer!
Appreciate these postings on the offerings with Avalon and on their ships. Like this brand. Nice products and scents!! Am getting ready for late January 2018 to be doing our first visit to Southeast Asia, for Hong Kong, Bangkok, Vietnam and Cambodia, including Angkor Wat and Hue/Danang. This includes seven days on the Avalon ship sailing up the famed Mekong River. Assume that they use the same products in Asia. Right? Any recent postings from those doing this Avalon Mekong "adventure"??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139
for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 187,008 views for this posting.
Surrey British Columbia Canada
103 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by seetosea
We just returned from our first river cruise. We've done many ocean cruises but wanted to try something different. I'm sure glad we did. We were on the 15 day Magnificent Europe River cruise on the Avalon Impression.

I can't say enough great things about this cruise. The crew is top notch and took care of everything. It's not often you see even the Captain loading and unloading luggage. Two liter bottles of water are in your room and replenished as soon as you empty one. Water is also provided on every tour.

There were plenty of offerings at each meal to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. The boat holds 166 passengers and there were 138 onboard. The weather was warm and sunny the entire time.

We did two optional tours - Cesky Krumlov and the Evening concert in Vienna. In Cesky, we had plenty of time to wander about after the guided tour. We enjoyed the concert which was in an old hall and filled with various river boat passengers. 9 musicians, two singers, and two dancers performed. At the conclusion, you are given a DVD of the music played.

We stayed in Budapest after the cruise at the Mercure Budapest City Center hotel. We did the online check in while on the last day of our cruise and said we would be there at 11 am. They had a room waiting for us. The staff took care of arranging a taxi at 3 am (we had a very early flight) and we found the location great for walking all around the city.

If you have any questions, ask away. We will definitely book with Avalon again.
The concert in Vienna isn't in the Opera House? Also are you able to bring a bottle of alcohol on board?
Ohio
773 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
You can bring wine or alcohol on board to enjoy in your cabin or on the sun deck. If you want to drink in the restaurant, there may be a corkage fee. No need to sneak it on board.