Christmas markets question

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:44 AM.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
630 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Basel, Switzerland has one of the largest Christmas Markets, and they will be opening their 2017 market on Thursday, November 23. Great for folks on the Basel to Amsterdam cruises.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard QM2 Eastbound Transatlantic, May, 2018; Pullmantur Zenith Coastal Norway, May, 2018; Ponant LeSoleal, Beyond The Polar Circle, Antarctica, Falklands, S Georgia,Jan., 2018; Viking Tialfi, Rhine Getaway, Nov., 2017; Norwegian Spirit Mediterranean, Nov., 2017; Royal Caribbean Vision ofthe Seas, 11 day Baltic, Aug., 2017; Norwegian Epic, Spain, Morocco, CanaryIslands, March, 2016; Viking Pride, Paris & Heart of Normandy, Sept., 2015;Semiramis II, Nile River Egypt, May, 2015; Oceania Riviera, Turkey & GreekIsles, Oct., 2014; Celebrity Summit, S. Caribbean, Jan., 2014; CarnivalElation, W. Caribbean, Jan., 2012; Carnival Pride, E. Caribbean, Aug., 2010; GoldenPrincess, Alaska Inside Passage, May, 2010; Carnival Fantasy, W. Caribbean,July, 2009; Uniworld River Countess, Germany & Austria Christmas Markets,Dec., 2007; Holland America Statendam, Australia & New Zealand, Oct., 2006;Norwegian Dream, W. Caribbean, Dec., 2005; RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas, W.Caribbean, Oct., 2003; Imagine French Barge, Burgundy Region, May, 2003; DeTijdgeest Dutch Barge, Netherlands & Belgium, May, 2002; Renaissance R3,Tahitian Islands, March, 2001; Dawn Princess, S. Caribbean, Nov., 1999; StarPrincess, S. Caribbean, Nov., 1994; And lots of land based adventures to morethan 60 countries on 6 continents! Happy to answer any questions or share photos,home(at)terryandmike(dot)com.
Texas
159 Posts
Joined May 2016
notamermaid -

You MUST immerse yourself in the Christmas markets of Dresden. I think they are the most impressive - and the stolen is freshly baked! YUM! Of course, I love Dresden. For cruisers, it is easy to get a day trip privately from Prague if your trip takes you there. A train is certainly a possibility. Be sure to take your passport if you are going in and out of Germany from Czechia.

Also, I would love to see a market in Lutherstadt Wittenburg.

Have been to Gengenbach, a charming trip out of Strasbourg. The town's children give a delightful performance in German. The markets in Wertheim and Miltenberg have only been on weekends and not all four weekends in Advent. The other smaller markets are difficult for me as I prefer to unpack on a ship and remain unpacked until the trip back across the 'pond'.

November 23, 2017 is US Thanksgiving and the Thursday before the first Sunday in Advent. The big cities seem to be starting on the regular schedule.
Rhine, Germany
2,130 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Dresden, yes, that would be nice. Here is one - full dates and events not yet confirmed - in Alsace with a special claim to fame: http://www.selestat.fr/se-divertir-a...son-sapin.html Sélestat or the old German name Schlettstadt has the oldest document in the world mentioning a Christmas tree. I very much like the area around there, Colmar, Ribeauvillé. Sélestat is doable from Breisach or with a longer drive from Strasbourg (probably easier with public transport from Strasbourg). If one does the Paris to city X axis, i.e. along the Moselle I recommend trying a detour, or a break when travelling with the highspeed train, to Metz. Still one of my favourites. Bonn is quite nice too, not quite as full as Cologne but busy too, "better ratio" locals to tourists, no special theme, nice setting on the squares in the town centre.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Transocean Belvedere Danube April 2013
English Channel Crossings 1984 to present:
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Dutch island hopping 1980's
Many Rhine river short trips
Rhine, Germany
2,130 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
As planning for a Christmas market cruise has come up recently again in another thread here is the discussion from a while ago for some tips.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,130 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
While cruisers are getting excited about their Christmas market cruises this year, companies are of course already offering the ones in 2018. Here is an article on new cruises by Scenic: http://www.travelagentcentral.com/cr...market-cruises

Two thoughts: they will (somewhat inevitably) stop in Rüdesheim on the Rhine cruise, another ship for the already crowded small town! On the Rhine cruise they also offer a concert in Mannheim an event I would certainly book if a was a Scenic cruiser, finally giving the underrated Mannheim some more attention.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
235 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Xmaser thank you for your thoughts about Dresden! Instead of a Christmas Market cruise this year we are spending time in Berlin and Dresden for markets and museums. We have done three CM cruises over the years and love them.

Second seating
FL
14,436 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
Originally posted by Second seating
Xmaser thank you for your thoughts about Dresden! Instead of a Christmas Market cruise this year we are spending time in Berlin and Dresden for markets and museums. We have done three CM cruises over the years and love them.

Second seating
We absolutely love Berlin and very much enjoy the markets there. It this is your first visit, look into the Berlin Welcome Card with Museum Island, a great value. The museums there are amazing! My favorites are the Pergamon and Neues Museum. Although the main attraction of the Neues Museum is undoubtedly the Nefertiti Bust, this is a small part of the museum's extensive collection of Egyptian antiquities, if this is of interest.

We also always book for coffee at the cafe on the Reichstag's roof, the Dachgarten Restaurant.

Our favorite market in Berlin is at Gendarmenmarkt.

I realize now it is time to plan a trip back to visit again as it has been 4 years.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
143 cruises since 1964, 15 on the river.
Looking forward to:
MS Joy - Magic of Advent, December 2017

Amadeus Silver III, May 2018
AmaKristina, Christmas Markets, December 2018
Scenic Eclipse, April, 2019

Our river cruising history:
Avalon Luminary B2B- Christmas Markets, 2009
Avalon Affinity - Christmas Markets 2010
Avalon Panorama - Danube New Years Cruise, 2011
AmaDante -Vineyards of the Rhine and Moselle 2012
AmaCerto - Budapest to Nuremburg, 2013
AmaBella - Tulip Time, 2014
AmaDagio - Provence, 2014
AmaReina - Holiday on the Rhine 2014
SS Catherine - Provence 2015
AmaSerena Christmas on the Rhine, 2015
Scenic Diamond, Bordeaux, April 2016
AmaVida, Douro, August. 2016
AmaSonata, Romantic Danube - Oct. 2016
Joie de Vivre, Paris and Normany - April 2017

Recent cruises:
Le Lyral, The Adriatic, September 2017
Rhine, Germany
2,130 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
I am not a fan of Berlin (loved my old interim-capital Bonn, we in the Rhineland sometimes sort of have this thing against Prussians... ) but fully agree about the museums, just amazing. For a trip out of the modern Berlin head to Spandau for a couple of hours, loved it there, I hope it has retained its character.

Secondseating, probably not feasible this time but I recommend exploring the North Coast, meaning Mecklenburg-Western Pommerania, especially Wismar, the area has a feel of its own. They have Christmas markets there too, I do not know what they are like: https://www.off-to-mv.com/en/christmas-markets

You would not be able to do these on a river cruise they are too far away from the Elbe (CroisiEurope and German companies do sail the stretch downstream from Magdeburg all the way to Hamburg) and cannot be worked into an itinerary.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
235 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Caviargal,

Thanks for the tip regarding the Berlin Welcome Card. This will be second time in Berlin my husband had a conference there in August a few years ago. It was after a Windstar cruise from Athens to Istanbul with days tacked on the both ends. We have tickets to see the Nutcracker in Berlin!
Texas
159 Posts
Joined May 2016
Second seating,

You sound like researchers. Have you checked this Dresden link? The dates and times are current.

http://www.germany-christmas-market....mas_market.php

I particularly like the Striezelmarkt (Altmarkt), the Medieval market (Stallhof - jousting arena for the Residenz), and the traditional crafts market in the Bruhlsche Gasse (walk to the end at the Elbe for a tinsmith casting shiny metal ornaments).

I think you will enjoy these.