Alaskan Dream Cruises

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:40 AM.
4 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
To Gloria Mundi:
(1) For a small ship and being close to nature, our cruise met our wishes very well. The decks are close to water level, and the captain keeps the ship as close as practical to the wildlife and hangs around for plenty of time.
Before the cruise we did a Road Scholar program in Denali and the Kenai peninsula. On it, we met two couples about our age (late 60s+) who had just done a Lindblad/National Geographic cruise. Those boats have zodiacs onboard and get into the water a lot, so they might get even closer to critters. These folks, however, said that they were really wrung out by the end, and of course the cost is much higher.
(2) We were not able to find the smaller ships on the discount sites, but it is a good idea to ask the cruise lines themselves about discounts or cabin upgrades.
virginia beach va
52 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
I have enjoyed reading the experiences of others on this new line
We are going the end of August and was wondering about the dress on board. Is it all casual? Did you take a coat or is a sweater enough?
thanks
41 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
very casual...dress for comfort. In early June a fleece pullover plus water repellent jacket was needed. check out pictures on Alaskan Dream Cruises Facebook page.
4 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by hamptonroads
We are going the end of August and was wondering about the dress on board. Is it all casual? Did you take a coat or is a sweater enough?
thanks
The dress is very casual. In general, whatever we were wearing during the day, we wore to dinner, ie. hiking boots, REI hiking pants. As far as warmth, nobody can predict the end of August. In mid-June, we were wearning a flannel shirt, a hoodie, and a lined winter jacket. We added a rain jacket and pants if the clouds looked threatening. I have a friend who is on the ship this week (July 9). When he called Sitka last week to check, he was told that the previous week had been unusually warm but by the end of the week it was back to the 50s. Being on deck just above very cold water with the air temp in the 50s meant dressing as I describe. Note that this is coming from "CaribSnorkeler", although it seemed like most others were equally bundled up.
Anchorage, Alaska
3,201 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
We just returned from the Alaskan Dream. The weather was the best we’ve experienced while cruising in SE Alaska. There were some issues onboard that hopefully they will work out although they seem to be operating this more as a day cruise as they’ve been doing for years with other vessels and haven’t made the leap into multiday trips.

We went with American Safari last year so our expectations were high. Alaskan Dream does not have kayaks or zodiacs onboard which significantly enhanced the experience with American Safari. Although we enjoy learning about Alaska Native culture, we had 4 Tlingit demonstrations on 4 consecutive days with Alaskan Dream. A bit much. We would have rather been outside exploring Alaska.

The meals were the highlight of the trip. The chef Brianna and pastry chef D'Anne were amazing with what they prepared. The food was excellent.

We did have a wonderful time although I liken the experience to wine. Once you’ve had the good stuff anything else just doesn’t cut it.

The small ship competition is increasing as there will be a new company serving Alaska in 2012 with American Cruise Line entering the market.
41 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Chilkoot, so glad you had great weather as we did. I totally agree with your assessment. We enjoyed the cultural experiences, but, too many...too much. Kake has been added since our trip. We would have liked more cruising/exploring. They have a way to go to equal Cruise West in total experience.
Anchorage, Alaska
3,201 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by hamptonroads
thanks
A sweater plus a raincoat with a hood. Layers. August can be rainy and cool. Can also be hot and sunny. Be prepared. Kind of difficult with baggage limitations.

The weather was very nice and we actually had a few 70+ days. Even though the sun was out it was still cool in front of Sawyer Glacier although we were in shirt sleeves while in front of Margerie Glacier. There are times that you slowly motor along while whale watching and the best viewing spots are out on deck. It can get quite cold with the wind whipping by.

Although we were over a mile away while on the Zegos in Hobart Bay, there were several whales that were breaching over and over again. We lost count at 25 breaches. Simply amazing.

Please post when you return. Would love to hear how your experience was.
virginia beach va
52 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
we just returned from the Alaska Dream. It was a fantastic trip with a wonderful crew and about 28 of the best passengers. The ship and the staff are top notch.
We enjoyed all of the stops and especially with ATV's and z-boats. The flood was super

We were concerned about "Irene" targeting our town and the Captain kept us informed about the unwanted visitor to Virginia thank you Captain

I would recommend this trip to anyone who wants a great experience in Alaska with seeing many many bears and whales.
43 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
We are booked on the Admiralty Dream for the 8-Day Alaska’s Glacier Bay & Island Adventure (june 2, 2012). i was delighted to find out there is a 15% early booking sale going on (ends January 31st), and it was applied to our invoice.
i believe the discount may vary based on cruise dates and itinerary, but if you're on the fence about booking, you may want to contact the cruise line and see if the savings is enough to get you to committ.
9 Posts
Joined May 2008
Discounts rarely happen on the small ships. There might be a few dates with an air promotion. Or like American Safari on one of their ships is offering a pre night in Juneau. The small ships try to have an added offer and try not to ever discount. The ships fill up 100%, they don't have to discount.
Severna Park, MD, USA
5 Posts
Joined Oct 2001
I've seen EXACTLY the same post as the one from "CaribSnorkler" under 2 different names in 2 other places - exactly the same, word for word. Makes me wonder if it's a legitimate review. I don't doubt that it's a great small cruise line, but this seems fishy.
43 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by landkwat
I've seen EXACTLY the same post as the one from "CaribSnorkler" under 2 different names in 2 other places - exactly the same, word for word. Makes me wonder if it's a legitimate review. I don't doubt that it's a great small cruise line, but this seems fishy.
which post - there are several?
were the 2 other places within cruise critic, or other review websites? i dont use the same name on every website. and if i wanted to post a review on several sites, i might do a cut & paste to avoid the typing.

update:
i'll answer my own questions:
its the long 'review', and its also on cruisereview & tripadvisor sites. mike/caribmike (retired & 72) has multiple posts on those sites, one of which explains this professional looking review:
Thanks for the "well-written brochure" comment. It's nice that all the technical writing I did during my computer career has carried over to retirement,
Yes, Alaskan Dream is a "new" cruise line, but the Allen Marine experience seems to be getting them off to a great start.

i'm going with this being a legit review by someone who had a marvelous time and is good at putting the experience into words (something i do not do well).
Anchorage, Alaska
3,201 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by Sunstone
The ships fill up 100%, they don't have to discount.
We were on American Safari in Alaska in 2010 and with Alaskan Dream in 2011. Neither was full. The competition is increasing this year with the addition of American Cruise Lines entering the Alaska market which may bode well for some future discounts.

Originally posted by landkwat
I questioned it too although looking at his other posts, on other sites, believe it to be a good post. Appears he had a wonderful time on his only cruise.
43 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by Chilkoot
We were on American Safari in Alaska in 2010 and with Alaskan Dream in 2011. Neither was full. The competition is increasing this year with the addition of American Cruise Lines entering the Alaska market which may bode well for some future discounts.
the 15% discount is real - it was applied to our booking. we saved more than enough to pay for our flightseeing excursion later in our vacation. so now the flightseeing doesnt seem like such an extravagant splurge.

the discount is not on every cruise, mostly the shoulder seasons. contact Alaskan Dreasm Cruises to find out more.
-- it expires on tuesday Jan 31st (2012) --
Australia
25 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Chilkoot

I questioned it too although looking at his other posts, on other sites, believe it to be a good post. Appears he had a wonderful time on his only cruise.

My wife and I travelled on the Alaskan Dream in August - the review seems accurate to me. Kake in August had several black bears along the salmon stream.

Our thoughts on the cruise? would love to go again.
8 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
We just reserved for the June 16 8-day tour - our first ever cruise. The discounts ranged from 15-30%, depending on the choice of room, and I was told the deadline was Feb. 10. So if you are seriously considering it.....hurry! I had a couple of nice phone calls with Thomas, who sent me pictures of several of the cabins. They will also make hotel reservations for you.....they reserve blocks of rooms at the Westmark and the Totem Pole, and have a bit of a discount.

I'm very much looking forward to this, and will report back when I'm home. Thanks to everyone here for great information.
41 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
We were passenger on the 3rd cruise of the 2011 season (their first) and I was sent an e-mail offering up to 35% off selected dates and cabins...good until Feb. 20, 2012. I have noit been able to determine the specifics. The e-mail also said that capacity on the Admiralty Dream has been reduced from 78 to 66. A very good thing. and, the forward lounge has been updated. The cruise offerings and itineraries are greatly changed from the initial season. I think they have been very responsive to the comments made by the first cruisers.
Texas
2 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
I am booked on the 10-day Alaskan Dream this year on 20 July from Sitka to Ketchikan. I got a 30 percent discount. My previous cruises were with Innersea Discoveries in 2011, and the defunct CruiseWest in 2005 and 2006 (I sure miss them). This cruise looks great and I am also looking forward to extra days on both ends. Not sure what the deal is with discounts, I got an email from my travel agent with the offer.
6 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by seeitallb4udie
We are booked on the Admiralty Dream for the 8-Day Alaska’s Glacier Bay & Island Adventure (june 2, 2012). i was delighted to find out there is a 15% early booking sale going on (ends January 31st), and it was applied to our invoice.
i believe the discount may vary based on cruise dates and itinerary, but if you're on the fence about booking, you may want to contact the cruise line and see if the savings is enough to get you to committ.
To seeitallb4udie - we are also booked on the 6/2 Admiralty Dream. Hope to meet you.
Midwest
114 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
can't wait after reading these comments. Thanks for posting! This will be the smallest ship we have ever sailed. Anyone else going on this one?