All Things Avalon

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:59 AM.
Pacific North West
4,329 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by Kenato
Has anyone ever heard of Avalon having a "fire sale" and if so, how good a sale do they have?

No, wishful thinking but DO go on their website and see what the specials are. I would not believe the reports of empty ships. JMO
11,407 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Originally posted by disnemimi
Glad to find this thread. We are doing our first riverboat cruise with Avalon in August, highlights of Germany 2016, Passau to Basel. Would love to hear from anyone that has done this cruise or a similar one. I understand that riverboat cruising is a little more relaxed from ocean cruises. Is it true my husband will not need a jacket or tie for any of the dinners?
Thanks and look forward to chatting.
Karen
Yes, no need for a coat and tie, unless they just want to stand out as the only non-crew person wearing one.

Very relaxed no dress up required.

JC
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises
Radiance of the Seas Alaska August 31, 2018
Symphony of the Seas Transatlantic October 28, 2018
4/14/2017 Ovation of the Seas, Singapore, Vietnam, Hong Kong, South Korea, China,
9/8/2016 Anthem of the Seas New England and Canada, 5/30/2016 Navigator of the Seas UK to Norway, 11/5/2015 Avalon Visionary Nuremburg to Remich, 2/28/2015 RCI Liberty of the Seas Belize, 2/21/2015 RCI Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 10/11/2014 Avalon Luminary, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Hungary and Austria, Cozumel 1/11/214 RCI Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 1/27/2013 RCI Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 1/2011 Diamond Princess Australia and New Zealand, RCI Mariner of the Seas Mexico 2/2010, RCI Independence of the Seas transatlantic 11/2009, Navigator of the Seas transatlantic 11/2007, RCI Splendour of the Seas Western Caribbean 2/06, HAL Rotterdam VI South America around the Horn 11/2005, RCI Legend of the Seas New Zealand, Tahiti, Hawaii, 3/2003, RCI Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean 2/2002, RCI Radiance of the Seas Vancouver to Hawaii 10/2001, Celebrity Millennium Eastern Mediterranean 10/2000, Celebrity Galaxy Southern Caribbean 12/1999, Carnival Sensation Eastern Caribbean 4/1998, RCI Majesty of the Seas Western Caribbean 1/1996
email me at [email protected]
Proud official member of the O crew

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

C. S. Lewis
11,407 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Originally posted by JVilleGal
No, wishful thinking but DO go on their website and see what the specials are. I would not believe the reports of empty ships. JMO
Our cruise last year was about as close as I have seen. We booked in July for a November cruise, got a slight upgrade at final payment. The ship ended up with only a couple of cabins not booked, at least that was the case about 30 days out the last time I checked. I suppose it is possible that they discounted it at that point even more than the price we paid. That said, even that cruise wasn't cheap, but it was cheap compared to the cruise the year before, which was a day shorter, too.

JC
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises
Radiance of the Seas Alaska August 31, 2018
Symphony of the Seas Transatlantic October 28, 2018
4/14/2017 Ovation of the Seas, Singapore, Vietnam, Hong Kong, South Korea, China,
9/8/2016 Anthem of the Seas New England and Canada, 5/30/2016 Navigator of the Seas UK to Norway, 11/5/2015 Avalon Visionary Nuremburg to Remich, 2/28/2015 RCI Liberty of the Seas Belize, 2/21/2015 RCI Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 10/11/2014 Avalon Luminary, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Hungary and Austria, Cozumel 1/11/214 RCI Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 1/27/2013 RCI Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 1/2011 Diamond Princess Australia and New Zealand, RCI Mariner of the Seas Mexico 2/2010, RCI Independence of the Seas transatlantic 11/2009, Navigator of the Seas transatlantic 11/2007, RCI Splendour of the Seas Western Caribbean 2/06, HAL Rotterdam VI South America around the Horn 11/2005, RCI Legend of the Seas New Zealand, Tahiti, Hawaii, 3/2003, RCI Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean 2/2002, RCI Radiance of the Seas Vancouver to Hawaii 10/2001, Celebrity Millennium Eastern Mediterranean 10/2000, Celebrity Galaxy Southern Caribbean 12/1999, Carnival Sensation Eastern Caribbean 4/1998, RCI Majesty of the Seas Western Caribbean 1/1996
email me at [email protected]
Proud official member of the O crew

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

C. S. Lewis
Ohio
773 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
I did the process that FuelScience mentioned. There are 28 cabins booked which equals a max of 56 passengers. The single supplement was waived for aquarium class cabins so there could be 50 passengers. The cost to book this cruise has dropped significantly since we originally booked last year. We have obtained a few minor price adjustments but you can in fact book my cruise for less than I paid. I do leave in less than a month so I don't know how expensive airfare would be.

I was concerned about the low passenger count but my travel agent assured us that the trip wouldn't be cancelled. I'm sure Avalon has a minimum that they will sail with.

I know I'm looking forward to the small passenger count. I'll come back & post a review once I'm home.
Northern KY
1,045 Posts
Joined May 2006
We just returned from the Danube Symphony cruise last week. We had 50 passengers on board. We have sailed on Uniworld in the past, each time with around 90 passengers.

I don't know if it was the difference in companies, or the difference in passenger number, but we felt like this cruise was a "miss" compared to our prior ones. Even prior Avalon cruisers felt this cruise was a little off.

We certainly expected to see more crew than we did. I'm not sure if they told some to take time off, or not. We were also sandwiched between 2 charter cruises, and the crew seemed very preoccupied with the upcoming one.

At this point, we will be hard pressed to choose Avalon again, as we felt Uniworld was much better. The one area Avalon did excel in was their spacious panorama suite. We will stick with Uniworld, though are seriously considering Amawaterways, after so many positive reviews on this board.

The price for an entry level panorama suite was down to $1249/person on our cruise (5 nights)

Robin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nashville, Tennessee USA
995 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
I noticed on the description of our upcoming cruise from Paris to Amsterdam the train from Paris is described as going to either Metz or Luxembourg. Has anyone taken this cruise (Canals, Vineyards, and Paris) or others with the two possible train trips? Do the people taking the tour to Luxembourg take the train there while those going directly to the boat in Remich go to Metz? Or is it some other arrangement?

Thanks,
FuelScience
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
FuelScience

2018: The Douro: Portugal's River of Gold & Spain w/Madeira extension, Vantage Douro Serenity (April)
2017: Burgundy & Provence, Avalon Poetry II
2016: Canals, Vineyards, and Paris, Avalon Affinity II
2015: Switzerland & the Heart of the Rhine & Moselle, Vantage River Navigator
2014: Tulips & Windmills, Viking Atla
2013: Romantic Danube, Viking MS Vienna (leased)
2012: Cities of Light, Viking Sky
520 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
when we did this 1 with Avalon we were bussed from Remich to Luxembourg. few hours there had lunch and then bussed to Metz and train to Paris. we of course were going Amsterdam to Paris so yours may differ.

interesting to read about the capacity/numbers at present. there are price incentives to book the older ships. the rooms with the big windows are lovely except if rafted, which blocks the view.

we did notice a change in the Avalon product compared to earlier years when we did the last 4 cruises. a lot depends on the cruise director and crew.

if its your 1st cruise you will not be aware of any differences to compare.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oahu. Born and raised in Oregon. I miss my PACNW!
708 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by FuelScience
I noticed on the description of our upcoming cruise from Paris to Amsterdam the train from Paris is described as going to either Metz or Luxembourg. Has anyone taken this cruise (Canals, Vineyards, and Paris) or others with the two possible train trips? Do the people taking the tour to Luxembourg take the train there while those going directly to the boat in Remich go to Metz? Or is it some other arrangement?

Thanks,
FuelScience
I think it depends on if you are taking an optional tour or not. We are Prague to Paris and are taking the optional trip which has us taking a bus to Luxembourg and then a train to Paris.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

4-14-2019: Myanmar on the Myanmar
7-18-2016 Avalon Artistry II (Prague to Paris)
09-22-2012 Westerdam (Alaska Inside Passage)
01-04-2010 Pride of America (Hawaii)

My blog (getting it up and running again): http://rebelsouladventures.com/
708 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by JVilleGal
I'm just going by what I'm seeing for available cabins right now. The one leaving in at the end of June obviously has time to fill up, but based on what I'm seeing .... this itinerary just doesn't seem as popular as others.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

11,407 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Originally posted by FuelScience

Thanks,
FuelScience
FuelScience, our cruise ended up in Remich, which unfortunately for me didn't have a single car rental agency, which surprises me a bit since it is not a tiny town, although it appeared that way when I was researching. My Travel agent and I both had concluded that the most likely departure would be a bus to Metz, unfortunately, at the night two discussion the CD, blew up that theory. She offered to take us for like 100euro to let us go to Luxembourg City with the group on the buses where we could catch the train to Metz(rental cars where twice as expensive for us in Luxembourg City to drive from there to Paris) where our rental was. Unfortunately with the price of the subsequent train ticket and the loss of a few hours time in France, we decided to have the ship get us a cab to Metz. That cost about 150euro. The cab ride was fine, and dropped us at the train station where we picked up our rental and we proceeded to Verdun and then to Loire Valley to view chateaus before going to Versailles where we dropped the rental car and took the train to Paris. Another unfortunate thing, was we were in Tours on Friday night when the Paris attacks occurred, so when we got to Versailles and subsequently Paris, everything was closed for the 4 days we were there. Until late afternoon on the day before our departure. It was not that big a deal, as it was nice to just wander around Paris without the pressure of trying to see all of the sights on the inside. Plus we have a reason to go back.... Assuming things someday get back to normal.

JC
4,304 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
Originally posted by xpcdoojk
Yes, no need for a coat and tie, unless they just want to stand out as the only non-crew person wearing one.

Very relaxed no dress up required.

JC
Booked first River Cruise on Avalon (Prague/Budapest). Glad to read that DH will not need sport coat for dinner. Trying to travel light.
109 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Thanks, Rebel54. We were able to look at excursions offered. Quite different from ocean cruising as not many tours are offered. While we were researching for the cruise, my husband noticed that not many cabins were booked on our cruise and were reassured to see the topic discussed. Also, thanks to all for your positive reviews on Avalon.
Ohio
773 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Terpshockey - if you haven't figured out yet, there will be at least one included excursion in most ports. Some may have a choice of 2 included excursions. You are correct in that there aren't as many choices but so many of the stops are so close that you can very easily walk into town & explore on your own.
Adelaide
49 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
We have our first river cruise coming up in August (countdown is on!) going from Zurich to Vienna. Can anyone please tell us if it is cheaper or a must do to book the optional excursions before we leave home??? Are you able to make up your mind the night before?? Any insight greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Viv
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

520 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
no price difference to pre book. however consider

the ports may change.
you may find you want to make other choices.
you may want to relax or do something on your own.
many factors can occur. after 8 river cruises we like to keep our options open and will book on board if something appeals.

our last 4 Avalon cruises had variations from the published trip so be prepared.
most of the cruise directors will explain your options and be helpful with choices. do lots of research to see what interests you.
we have visited Zurich and Vienna a few times independently, they are wonderful cities with lots to see and experience.
some find doing 2 tours everyday when cruising tiring but you will know what suits you. happy cruising.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Newfoundland & Labrador
265 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Seems like reservations are down on many itineraries and dates. Could be block bookings as previously mentioned or could be state of economy and fears of terrorism. I know our trip in a week still has about 13 cabins and two suites still not booked. Guess no problem finding your table of choice at dinner.
708 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by Kenato
Seems like reservations are down on many itineraries and dates. Could be block bookings as previously mentioned or could be state of economy and fears of terrorism. I know our trip in a week still has about 13 cabins and two suites still not booked. Guess no problem finding your table of choice at dinner.
I'm all for small and intimate groups. I would love it to be under 100 people. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

708 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by terpshockey77
Thanks, Rebel54. We were able to look at excursions offered. Quite different from ocean cruising as not many tours are offered. While we were researching for the cruise, my husband noticed that not many cabins were booked on our cruise and were reassured to see the topic discussed. Also, thanks to all for your positive reviews on Avalon.
It is different because you are pulling into relatively small towns that you can enjoy as part of the included tour or on your own. The only reason I booked anything paid was because I want my husband to see Rothenberg and I want to see Luxembourg City. Otherwise I wouldn't have spent that money.

I'm excited for our trip and can't wait to share our experience as I haven't seen anyone post on our itinerary yet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Lake Monticello, VA
855 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
I am taking cruise #10 with Avalon in August with #11 booked for next June. Obviouly if I have taken that many cruises with Avalon that I am quite a fan. I love their ships, the personnel aboard, cruise directors, and food. Can't wait for August!

Pat
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pat

Avalon Artistry: Magnificent Europe 4/26/08 - 5/11/08
Avalon Affinity: Windmills, Vineyards and Paris 5/10/09 - 5/24/09
Avalon Creativity: Paris to Normandy Battlefields 4/13/10 - 4/20/10
Avalon Scenery: Burgundy & Provence 4/20/10 - 4/27/10
Avalon Imagery: Blue Danube to the Black Sea 4/1/12 - 4/16/12
Avalon Expression: Magnificent Europe (Budapest to Amsterrdam) 7/3/13 - 7/17/13