Bathrooms in Viking buses

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:54 AM.
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
This isn't so much a Viking issue as local regulation, at least I'm told. On Viking buses in Czech Republic the bathrooms were always locked. On the (German) transfer bus from Prague to Nuremberg, the bathrooms were unlocked. And on all the tours I did on buses in Germany the bathrooms were unlocked there also.

I almost never used the bathrooms on the buses anyway so it wasn't such a big deal.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Viking Tor 9/2017, Romantic Danube
Viking Heimdal 9/2016, Lyon to Provence
Texas
249 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by zitsky
This isn't so much a Viking issue as local regulation, at least I'm told. On Viking buses in Czech Republic the bathrooms were always locked. On the (German) transfer bus from Prague to Nuremberg, the bathrooms were unlocked. And on all the tours I did on buses in Germany the bathrooms were unlocked there also.

I almost never used the bathrooms on the buses anyway so it wasn't such a big deal.
We just got back from two different Viking cruises, Paris and the Heart of Normandy which is all in France, and all Paris to the Swiss Alps which is mainly in Germany, the restrooms on the buses were always unlocked.

I used them frequently on the bus.
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by steverhodes
We just got back from two different Viking cruises, Paris and the Heart of Normandy which is all in France, and all Paris to the Swiss Alps which is mainly in Germany, the restrooms on the buses were always unlocked.

I used them frequently on the bus.
I can only suppose the Czech keep them locked to prevent people getting up while the bus is in motion.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New York
8,309 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by zitsky
I can only suppose the Czech keep them locked to prevent people getting up while the bus is in motion.
I have been on luxury coaches in Europe where the bathrooms were locked. Not Viking, and I don't remember which country -- but it was clear that this was a decision by the bus driver who didn't want to have to clean the restroom [and who didn't get a tip from me!]
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me: [email protected]
Blogs: Jazzbeaux Blogs

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Booked:
Crown Princess Classic Canada & New England 10-2017
Azamara Quest Costa Rica 1-2018
AMA Discover Africa 5-2018
Viking Sun British Isles Explorer 8-2018
Celebrity Edge Caribbean B2B / Celebrity Equinox Caribbean B2B 1-2019 [will choose one!]

Completed:
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-2016; Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016; Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016; AmaDagio Provence 9-2015; Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-2015; Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-2015; Fresco Tours A Kinder Camino walking tour 9-2014; Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-2014; Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-2014; AmaCello Rhine 8-2013; Coral Princess Alaska 6-2013; Ireland Fly-Drive 9-2012; Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-1974
Cherry Hill NJ
453 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
The Viking coach bathrooms were unlocked, but I only saw one person use it over 3 river cruises. It's for emergencies, not convenience and most passengers seem to realize that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy

Zenith, Bermuda 09/97
Rhapsody of the Seas, Southern Caribbean 2/98
Zenith, Bermuda 6/99
Sea Princess, Alaska 7/01
Mercury, Western Caribbean 01/03
NCL Dawn, Florida & Bahamas 9/04
Golden Princess, Canada/New England Oct 2005
NCL Dawn, Canada/New England 9/30/06
NCL Gem, Mediterranean, 10/21/2007
Viking Gullveig, Rhine Getaway, April 25,/2014
Viking Rinda, Paris and Normandy, April 6, 2015

Viking Baldur, Tulips and Windmills, April 14, 2017

Raleigh, NC
274 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by CEV426
The Viking coach bathrooms were unlocked, but I only saw one person use it over 3 river cruises. It's for emergencies, not convenience and most passengers seem to realize that.
I only need a bathroom every 2-3 hours. But when i do, I will use whatever is close by.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Texas
249 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by CEV426
I’ve been on 8 Viking Cruises. I see someone uses every few days.
Cherry Hill NJ
453 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Our longest time on board the bus was on the Paris/Normandy cruise. It was a 2 hr ride from the ship to the Normandy beaches. That's when I saw someone use the bathroom. Typically, you're not on the bus that long.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy

Zenith, Bermuda 09/97
Rhapsody of the Seas, Southern Caribbean 2/98
Zenith, Bermuda 6/99
Sea Princess, Alaska 7/01
Mercury, Western Caribbean 01/03
NCL Dawn, Florida & Bahamas 9/04
Golden Princess, Canada/New England Oct 2005
NCL Dawn, Canada/New England 9/30/06
NCL Gem, Mediterranean, 10/21/2007
Viking Gullveig, Rhine Getaway, April 25,/2014
Viking Rinda, Paris and Normandy, April 6, 2015

Viking Baldur, Tulips and Windmills, April 14, 2017

Raleigh, NC
274 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
I think our transfer from Prague to Nuremberg was about 3 hours with a stop at McDonalds in between.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature