Must cancel first leg of B2B due to Jones Act/Passenger Services Act ... Options?

When I got around to reading the 41 pages of the roll call for my Snowbird migration cruise in fall of 2018, I found out on the first page that another cruiser was happily reporting they had booked the previous cruise as a B2B. Another poster apologized for being the bearer of bad news but said that Royal shouldn't have allowed them to book it because it violated the Jones Act/Passenger Services Act. As I continued to read the posts, there were others who were happily sharing their plans as well, and then getting them dashed. Not sure at what point Royal intends to contact people like me who are also booked on both, but that original post was two weeks prior to when I worked with someone on the phone to insure I got the same cabin for both cruises. I'm rather frustrated that Royal hasn't trained their phone staff, since this all happened last spring and I'm now just finding out I have to change my plans.

In any case, I'm looking for suggestions. So far I have come up with three options and would welcome any input so I can make sure I end up with the best possible experience. What would you do in my situation and are there other options that you would suggest I consider?

Option One - Anthem to Bermuda (5-day) Sept 29 – Oct4

Sailing From New York, returning to NewYork

Option Two - NCL Escape to Bermuda (7-day) Sept 30 – Oct7

Option Three - NCL Dawn to Canada (7-day) Sept 28 – Oct5

Sailing From Boston, ending in QuebecCity

When I got around to reading the 41 pages of the roll call for my Snowbird migration cruise in fall of 2018, I found out on the first page that another cruiser was happily reporting they had booked the previous cruise as a B2B. Another poster apologized for being the bearer of bad news but said that Royal shouldn't have allowed them to book it because it violated the Jones Act/Passenger Services Act. As I continued to read the posts, there were others who were happily sharing their plans as well, and then getting them dashed. Not sure at what point Royal intends to contact people like me who are also booked on both, but that original post was two weeks prior to when I worked with someone on the phone to insure I got the same cabin for both cruises. I'm rather frustrated that Royal hasn't trained their phone staff, since this all happened last spring and I'm now just finding out I have to change my plans.

In any case, I'm looking for suggestions. So far I have come up with three options and would welcome any input so I can make sure I end up with the best possible experience. What would you do in my situation and are there other options that you would suggest I consider?

Option One - Anthem to Bermuda (5-day) Sept 29 – Oct4

Option Two - NCL Escape to Bermuda (7-day) Sept 30 – Oct7

Option Three - NCL Dawn to Canada (7-day) Sept 28 – Oct5

Sailing From Boston, ending in QuebecCity

What are your B2B cruises?

I was booked on that cruise also B2B. But found out early enough to move mine to Harmony P.C. B2B same room.

And I would go with option 3. Good luck,

Yes, I saw your posts as I read through it. You're another one of the people who they should have informed during the booking process.

The thing that makes this more frustrating is that we booked early for the best pricing and best cabin selection. And 7 months later I find that I have to rethink my travel plans.

Adventure of the Seas Sept 28 - Oct 8

New York to Quebec City

Adventure of the Seas Oct 8 - Oct 21

Quebec City to Ft. Lauderdale

I'm curious why this is a problem. You're stopping in Quebec right, doesn't that count as a foreign port?

Whoever wrote the law decided that Canada isn't a foreign port ... makes no sense ...

Hmm, I wonder if it would be possible to do a B2B2B going Quebec > Cape Liberty > Quebec > Fort Lauderdale

Or I wonder if Cape Liberty > Quebec > Fort Lauderdale > Fort Lauderdale would be okay since the third leg you would stop at some foreign ports.

Honestly, it isn't the law that frustrates me as much as the fact that I was allowed to book it and the customer service associate didn't have a red flag popping up on his terminal during the transaction.

But I'm trying to get past that and determine where I go from here.

I think I would go with door # 3... that keeps you closer to your original plans. For sure Royal should have had some flags on booking your original B2B cruise. They encounter these situations all the time on these cruises as well as on the Alaskan side of cruises.

You might want to review the PVSA...

Your desired itinerary needs a distant foreign port. Nothing in Canada qualifies.

--And yet, Bimini, which can be seen from the air at the same time as Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, DOES qualify. :o :confused:

--And yet, Bimini, which can be seen from the air at the same time as Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, DOES qualify. :o :confused:

Not sure what your source is for this statement, but I would recheck. May be true, but all of my past research indicates it is incorrect.

The law requires that a cruise (other than US ships) starting & ending in different US ports has to call on a distant foreign port.

Canadian ports are foreign ports, but not distant ones. Same holds for all Central & North American ports and most Carribean ports.

A round trip cruise just needs any foreign port. One way cruises between a US & foreign port are fine.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Hmm, I wonder if it would be possible to do a B2B2B going Quebec > Cape Liberty > Quebec > Fort Lauderdale

Or I wonder if Cape Liberty > Quebec > Fort Lauderdale > Fort Lauderdale would be okay since the third leg you would stop at some foreign ports.

Option 1 would be fine (cruise starts in a foreign country and ends in the US.

Option 2 is not. (No distant foreign port)

Ignore the fact that according to Royal it's 2,3 or more separate cruises. The only thing that matters is your original embarkation port and your final debarkation port.

The law requires that a cruise (other than US ships) starting & ending in different US ports has to call on a distant foreign port.

Canadian ports are foreign ports, but not distant ones. Same holds for all Central & North American ports and most Carribean ports.

A round trip cruise just needs any foreign port. One way cruises between a US & foreign port are fine.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

How do they determine 'distant' ports? This is all new to me and I am curious

Option 1 would be fine (cruise starts in a foreign country and ends in the US.

Option 2 is not. (No distant foreign port)

Ignore the fact that according to Royal it's 2,3 or more separate cruises. The only thing that matters is your original embarkation port and your final debarkation port.

Well, the third leg of option 2 has to include a distant foreign port, right? There must be a distant foreign port in there somewhere or else they couldn't do that cruise at all. So if the third leg includes a distant foreign port and Royal or the PVSA or whoever isn't considering the 3 legs as individual / separate cruises, then that combination of 3 legs should be okay.

edit: To clear up any confusion, what I meant for option 2 is:

Leg 1: Northbound fall foliage cruise from Cape Liberty to Quebec

Leg 2: Snowbird cruise Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale

Leg 3: Caribbean cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Lauderdale

There is obviously an acceptable port in the third leg or else they couldn't do that cruise in the first place.

Well, the third leg of option 2 has to include a distant foreign port, right? There must be a distant foreign port in there somewhere or else they couldn't do that cruise at all. So if the third leg includes a distant foreign port and Royal or the PVSA or whoever isn't considering the 3 legs as individual / separate cruises, then that combination of 3 legs should be okay.

edit: To clear up any confusion, what I meant for option 2 is:

Leg 1: Northbound fall foliage cruise from Cape Liberty to Quebec

Leg 2: Snowbird cruise Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale

Leg 3: Caribbean cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Lauderdale

There is obviously an acceptable port in the third leg or else they couldn't do that cruise in the first place.

The third leg only contains a foreign port since it leaves and returns from the same US port. You need a distant foreign port to make that legal.

There is a difference between a foreign port and a distant foreign port.

The third leg only contains a foreign port since it leaves and returns from the same US port. You need a distant foreign port to make that legal.

There is a difference between a foreign port and a distant foreign port.

Oh, I see, it's the fact that they are starting and ending at two different US ports that is causing the problem. If you get on and off at the same port then it's fine. Thanks for clarifying.

OP, I would vote for your third option.