Review: Navigator of the Seas- Aug 28-Sept 6 Part 1 1

Hello Luv! :)

This was a girl’s only cruise with my sister Cathy, a friend Bev and me, Linda. Cathy and Bev have never cruised before and this was my 9th RCI cruise. We left day prior and arrived at Miami about 5:30pm, checked into the Holiday Inn Downtown across from Bayside. I requested a port view room. Actually it was a suite. Very nice, clean, quiet and the best view of the port of Miami. We walked to Bayside and had dinner and then retired early since we had been up since 3:30 am and had a long day of traveling. We woke up early the next morning to open the drapes and see the Navigator sitting in dock….it was absolutely beautiful!

We arrived at the pier about 10:45 check in was easy and on board by 11:45. Cabins were not ready, so we headed to the Windjammer for the Welcome Aboard Luncheon. One thing I noticed was that most people thought that Jade was all there was to the Windjammer and the luncheon, the line was so long and people were saying things like “this is it?” Finally an Officer showed them the entrance to the Windjammer and they were much happier. The lunch was OK. Service was good.

We finished lunch and then made our way to find our cabin, 7354. The girls were pleasantly surprised by how much room there actually was. They laughed at the bathroom, ooohed and ahhhed on the balcony called what bed they wanted and then we got serious about how many drawers, shelves each of us would have. We then set out to do some exploring and picture taking before the ship got too busy. We returned to see if any of our luggage had arrived, we were shocked that it had arrived and we started to unpack, we filled the closet to its brim, found enough space for the now empty suitcases, shoe storage was somewhat of a problem…..but hey, girls love shoes!!!! Then it was time for the Muster drill, it was one of the worst! So hot and humid, raining, no breeze and it took forever. We heard that some people were passing out from the heat.

DINING ROOM; SWAN LAKE DECK 5

Great table location in the corner by the windows, great tablemates from Fort Lauderdale. They were quite worried about Hurricane Francis. Our waiter was awesome and our assistant waiter never missed a beat. No complaints on food or service in the dining room.

On Lobster night I couldn’t decide if I wanted surf and turf or Lobster and Shrimp. I told my waiter to “surprise” me. That he did! He served me Lobster, Shrimp and Steak! What a treat, although I couldn’t eat all of it. One thing that bothered me almost every night was the table next to us. An oriental couple with 2 very young girls. The girls ran around the table screaming always underfoot of the waiters and even standing on the metal ledge of the window trying to hang off the draperies. The parents did nothing! No one said anything to them either…it was a little unnerving and unbelievable of the parents neglect.

ENTERTAINMENT

I missed what was suppose to be the funniest Love and Marriage Game Show. I also missed the first 2 nights of the shows in the Metropolis.

The Mardi Gras Parade was nice, very crowded and not easy to see if you were not in front. The fog made for some intresting pictures.

The Access show was good, the Ice Dancing was incredible, the Krooz Comics we funny. The Ventriloquist was very good. The Quest, those people will do anything! So so funny and …NO… I was not one of the women who took off their bra’s! But thanks to those who did. One in particular who Becky (Hello Luv) wants to be when she grows up!

PORTS AND SEA DAYS

As most of you know, Hurricane Francis altered our itinerary.

People complained about we would only have 2 ports instead of 4…..Com’on people it was a hurricane! Nassau and Labadee were cancelled. Then San Juan was then cancelled, no loss there, and our Captain substituted Antiquia. It was raining in the morning then very hot and humid. Great shopping, loved the market, plenty of bidding and we got good buys on swimsuit wraps and cover-ups for $5.00 each. Our next port of call was St. Thomas, again hot and humid but at least a breeze. We took a taxi into town at $3.00 each and did some shopping, returned to the ship for lunch then went back out to Havensite Mall at the pier for more shopping. We had heard all water sport tours were cancelled due to Francis, since we did not have any booked; I didn’t pay much attention to what was going on. I do know a lot of people were disappointed about not having any water sports equipment for rent. But safety first!!!!

On Friday as we tried to head back towards Miami, Captain Sullivan announced we could not port in Miami and needed to stay out at sea…Wooo Hooo extended cruise!!!! He did an excellent job of keeping us safe and informed .He gave updates 2 or 3 times a day and was under Miami Headquarters instructions on what to do and where to go. The crew did a fantastic job of keeping us entertained, doing what ever they could to make things easier. I needed extra medication so I went down to the medical I had to see the doctor is order to get my meds. I saw the doctor and got meds all at NO CHARGE!

Another thing I was not charged for were the phone charges, I called my husband at home from my stateroom phone several times, no charges! Nothing on my sea pass bill and I checked my home phone account on line and no charges there either! So 4 or 5 phone calls at $7.95 a minute-with no charge is superb!

On Sunday when we were at the Solarium pool, the winds suddenly picked up from one of the feeder bands of Francis. Napkins, towels, anything not tied down started to fly away. The sound it made is one I could only relate to a tornado coming. It was very loud and eerie. Everyone scrambled out of the pool and ran for cover. Not us! My sister and I held hands and went out on deck, up to the peek-a-boo bridge to watch the Captain in command. The ship never really rocked and rolled as I thought it would with high winds and white caps. Someone told me the seas were about 8 foot. But I’m not a good judge of that so I can’t say for sure, I never really felt any movement as a few people did.

Darn, I was looking foreword to a little rockin’ and rollin’ on the high seas! :D

Food was never an issue of running low. Breakfast on the last morning was the same, so we didn’t see any decline in food. Unless we missed something along the way, everything was normal in the Windjammer, Promenade Café and dining room. We did get a good laugh at the Ice Tea on the last night, it was pretty weak looking…. Actually the best we had all week!

coming next...part 2.

Archived