Theft in stateroom on Carnival

Gerricann

While on spring break several of us had valuables stolen out of our stateroom. Management said they investigated and could find no one liable (probably means they fired the stateroom attendant). They said since extra insurance was not purchased to cover contents in the stateroom, they are not responsible.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone else has ever had this experience and how was it handled by the cruise company.:(

We pretty much never hear of theft of the contents of a stateroom. I'm certainly not saying that it didn't happen but I wonder if it might not have been someone who wandered into the stateroom during a party or some such.

I've been on a number of Carnival cruises and left many valuable articles in my cabin and have never lost a thing...

They're correct about the trip insurance. If you had purchased it your missing articles would have been covered.

Spring Break ----> lots of drinking ----> cabin hopping ----> unknown people in cabin -----> missing stuff.

You should ask yourself how many times there might have been people you didn't know in your cabin. I could be off here, so sorry if I am, but like the other people said, theft is generally very low!

I left my ipod, cameras, cash, and dirty underwear out, and none was touched.

While on spring break several of us had valuables stolen out of our stateroom. Management said they investigated and could find no one liable (probably means they fired the stateroom attendant). They said since extra insurance was not purchased to cover contents in the stateroom, they are not responsible.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone else has ever had this experience and how was it handled by the cruise company.:(

My wife had a $3,000 diamon necklace stolen on our Carnival cruise in March. Our fault we forgot to put it in the safe. Stuff happens and you move on. We never mentioned it to anyone at Carnival. What's the point?

Never had a problem. Did you use the safe? Did you remember that you only need costume jewlery? etc. etc.

I don't think you mentioned your ages, but as a mom of a college student I wonder if you may have been susceptable to theft, if you are of that age group.

I wouldn't steal your stuff.....but others might try....just sayin'

My wife had a $3,000 diamon necklace stolen on our Carnival cruise in March. Our fault we forgot to put it in the safe. Stuff happens and you move on. We never mentioned it to anyone at Carnival. What's the point?

Yeah, I think I would have to mention that.

We pretty much never hear of theft of the contents of a stateroom. I'm certainly not saying that it didn't happen but I wonder if it might not have been someone who wandered into the stateroom during a party or some such.

I've been on a number of Carnival cruises and left many valuable articles in my cabin and have never lost a thing...

My thoughts exactly.

5 cruises...we leave valuables out, never use the safe and have never had anything go missing.

Good luck to the OP.

(Just wanted to add that in 7 years I've been reading CC I don't think I have ever read of anyone having something stolen from their stateroom. Not saying it didn't happen or couldn't happen, just saying that is how rare it must be.)

Edited by celticd1
added

bet you had private insurance on such a valuable piece right?

Just wondering why she needed to bring the necklace anyway? She certainly didn't need to impress you.:rolleyes:

There is a reason they put a safe in your cabin. Use it. It is too easy a temptation for someone to just pocket a pretty trinket they believe will not be noticed until you get home. I agree it was more likely a party hopper, if your cabin was open that way, but possible it was a staffer. Use the safe and eliminate all temptation.

Spring Break ----> lots of drinking ----> cabin hopping ----> unknown people in cabin -----> missing stuff.

You should ask yourself how many times there might have been people you didn't know in your cabin. I could be off here, so sorry if I am, but like the other people said, theft is generally very low!

I left my ipod, cameras, cash, and dirty underwear out, and none was touched.

We wrap our valuable in our dirty underwear!:D

I suspect it is someone other than your cabin attendant.

I've 64 Carnival cruises and over 250 cruises over all under my belt and have never had anything taken from my cabin. In fact, in over 30 years of travel all over the world, by land, sea and rail, I've never had anything stolen.

And, Carnival is right. If you have anything missing, there is no way to know who took the things, when, how valuable, etc. Your cruise documents lay out Carnival's liability on baggage and other things.....and, they aren't responsible...unless you can prove an employee stole things.

Trip insurance would have covered your losses...more than likely.

Just wondering why she needed to bring the necklace anyway? She certainly didn't need to impress you.:rolleyes:

No private insurance. She brought because we've been on about 18 cruises and never had a problem. As I said it was our fault as we got careless and forgot to put it in the safe.

Also btw you don't wear jewelry to "impress" people.

(Just wanted to add that in 7 years I've been reading CC I don't think I have ever read of anyone having something stolen from their stateroom. Not saying it didn't happen or couldn't happen, just saying that is how rare it must be.)

Well, takes care of that! :o

I read something new here every day!

(Sorry about your necklace.)

No private insurance. She brought because we've been on about 18 cruises and never had a problem. As I said it was our fault as we got careless and forgot to put it in the safe.

Also btw you don't wear jewelry to "impress" people.

Nope, not on a cruise. As a matter of fact when we travel for a week or longer, I try to put it all in the safe deposit box. Almost lost the wedding rings snorkling...that did it for me.

As far as impressing anyone, the only people I care to impress are DH and my 4 DD's, so why bother with the responsibility of the jewelry has been my motto lately.

Don't get me wrong, I own the stuff and like the stuff but I actually chose a Med cruise for a 20th anniversary gift over a second diamond band! Go figure!

Also, did I mention 4 tuitions?LOL;)

You or spouse take all those cruises and you don't wear any bling? When do you wear it? If no one can see it, what good is it.