Rome, Italy

djhill

A couple of days will barely scratch the surface of all there is to see and do in Rome. You might want to read a guidebook or two in order to narrow in on a few sites that would be particularly interesting to you. You can start with this resource on line and progress to more in depth books: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/rome/introduction

As for where to stay, especially when you don't have a lot of time, the historic center makes the most sense. Being there (the area roughly bound by the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and Campo de'Fiori) allows you to easily walk to most sites.

Some reading down the board will find many threads on hotels. Budget would be something only you know, so hard to recommend for you. Sites to see would be up to your interests, mobility, etc. I agree with the suggestion to get a guide book to narrow this very broad question down some.

I would just add that although we have been to Rome several times that when it comes to Hotels I use Trip Advisor as a starting point. I am careful that I don't get too caught up with the reviews as clearly some might not be true but it really does provide a lot of good information on a map so I can find hotels near where we want to be. I then go to the official sites to read more about the hotel and to look at the pricing.

Dennis I am not sure where you will be flying from but if it is from North American keep in mind that first day you will be jet lagged so if you can possibly add a few additional days that would be great.

Like any city you could spend weeks or even months there and not see it all so as recommended I would read about the top attractions and then decide which ones would interest you the most.

Keith

A good budget Hotel find for Roma includes newly renovated rooms and great inclusive breakfasts right close to Campo de Fiori is Hotel Smeraldo . Book on line direct with hotel to avoid paying middleman commissions.

Within walking distance Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo de Fiori, Castel de St Angelo, St Peters, Trevi fountain . Good restaurants in area especially Roscioli at end of the street out front door hotel turn left at end of street . Rocioli bakery opp hotel superb bakery and pizza etc . For the last night in town recomment Pier Luigi in Piazza Ricci nearby .

I spent 3 days in Rome on a land tour and that was not nearly enough time. Rome is incredibly rich in history. I highly recommend getting Rick Steves Rome guidebook to develop your travel plan.

Some of my favorite Rome sites.

Pantheon- darndest thing I have ever seen.

Vatican Musuems including Sistine Chapel. To see the entire museum, you need at least a full day.

St Peters

Santa Maria Maggiore - fantastic church

Coliseum /Roman Forum - best done via guided tour to avoid lines and to hear the history of the Forum.

St Peters in Chains church- Michaelangelo's Moses is there.

St John's in Lateran and Holy stairs.

Nice site on top Rome churches.

https://www.walksofitaly.com/blog/rome/the-most-jaw-dropping-churches-in-rome-that-arent-called-st-peters-a-pilgrimage-to-rome-guide