Sapphire Beach taxis

Cuizer2

I'm thinking of going to Sapphire Beach this December off a Princess cruise. Will I have any trouble finding a taxi to take me back to the ship? Anything special that I should know about the return trip (like traffic delays)?

Are there changing rooms at the beach?

We went in April and had no problems grabbing a taxi in either direction - it was nice because we beat the shore excursion groups and grabbed great spots on the beach. On the way back we had them drop us off for shopping and yes there are bathrooms/changing areas there.

We went in April and had no problems grabbing a taxi in either direction - it was nice because we beat the shore excursion groups and grabbed great spots on the beach. On the way back we had them drop us off for shopping and yes there are bathrooms/changing areas there.

Thank you. :D

WOW! This is all part of the cruiser's dilemma. How can one explain that what existed in April is not relevant to what exists today.....post hurricane. Many of the taxis (from last April) have been damaged or destroyed. Roads have been severely damaged. There will still be taxis (including the large truck/taxis) but the island has taken a huge blow. So folks, forget about last April, May, June, etc. The island desperately needs tourism to return (it is the major driver of their economy).....but it will be a year (at least) until the island returns to anything close to its previous existence. We will be back in St Thomas in a few weeks, and having been there after a previous bad hurricane we understand that its best to wait and see and react to the current situation. My experience tells me that December will still see a reeling island doing its best to recover and salvage some of their annual tourist season. Those that go to St Thomas in Jan and Feb will likely see a lot of recovery because this island has always had a great "can do" spirit. But do no underestimate what has happened on St Thomas as this island has suffered a huge disaster.

Hank

Sounds like good advise.

Thank you.

Someone who was just there 11/10 said: We booked the Sapphire Beach and Island Tour excursion through the ship as we didn't know if taxis would be available. We did talk to a couple later that took a taxi back to the ship from downtown, but there definitely was not the usual lines of taxis waiting at the pier.

So it sounds like they are there, just not as plentiful as before which makes sense due to the circumstances, sadly.

I've been to two (Magen's Bay & Coki) of the three beaches I want to see. I may just visit downtown and hope I can find a cruise that stops in St. Thomas in the future (so few cruises stop in St. Thomas - I'm kidding).

WOW! This is all part of the cruiser's dilemma. How can one explain that what existed in April is not relevant to what exists today.....post hurricane.

Hank

And what exists today is not relevant to the situation tomorrow. Yes, the island took a big hit. But every day there is progress. There are plenty of taxis. There are beaches that are open. There are stores and bars and restaurants, etc. It you looked at pictures from September 7 and November 7, you would not think they were of the same place. Much of the greenery is thicker, though shorter, than it was.