Mahogany Bay ./ Coxen Hole

ChattTenn

A question for those who had been to Roatan recently

Our up coming cruise on Carnival Magic will have a stop at Roatan (Mahogany Bay). We had been to Roatan before twice with Victor's tour. For this time we just want to get off the ship and go to town either Coxen Hole or whatever place that closes to the port that has a grocery store to get some of their good coffee / vanilla etc.

1. Can we get a taxi from outside port (up the hills) and the cost?.
  2. In Coxen Hole, where is the grocery store?. We stopped at a very nice store before but since we were on tour with Victor so we do not remember the place/name.
  3. Should we go to a store near port?. We heard there is a MEGA store but do not know the location.

Any advise or help is greatly appreciated.

Eldons is a great place to get coffee vanilla or other local groceries cheap. They also have a deli in the back of the store where they serve chicken, rice, beans and other ready to eat foods for an authentic lunch at a very reasonable price. We always make a stop here to pick up vanilla, coconut rum and various candies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Eldons is a great place to get coffee vanilla or other local groceries cheap. They also have a deli in the back of the store where they serve chicken, rice, beans and other ready to eat foods for an authentic lunch at a very reasonable price. We always make a stop here to pick up vanilla, coconut rum and various candies.

Thank you for the tip.

I understood Eldons is in Coxen Hole. Do you know how to get there?.

Last time, the tour guide took us to one of the grocery store to get coffee/vanila but do not remember the name. A lot people recommended Eldons and we will try to get there to stock up vanilla etc.

Thank you for the tip.

I understood Eldons is in Coxen Hole. Do you know how to get there?.

Last time, the tour guide took us to one of the grocery store to get coffee/vanila but do not remember the name. A lot people recommended Eldons and we will try to get there to stock up vanilla etc.

I'm not sure how to get there. We always book a tour guide through victor Bodden's tours and they take us there. It's only $40 per person for an all day guide if there are two people. If you have 4 people it's only $25 per person. It's very reasonable. All of his guides speak excellent English and will take you around the island to shop or sightsee. Whatever you want. They always come into the store with us to translate the prices and help us with the best selections and currency. They are absolutely worth every penny. We will be using them Again next month for the fifth time. We have never ever had an issue with them and they always get us back to the ship with at least an hour to spare. I would highly recommend booking a guide with them. Whichever way you chose to go HAVE FUN! Roatan is a beautiful place but you have to get away from the port to truly appreciate it.

Eldon's is on the main road, behind the Sun Station and sorta next to Plaza Mar. My guess is if you say Eldon's Coxen Hole to the driver he will understand.

I agree with other's though, I recommend you arrange transport beforehand, sure you can flag a taxi at the main road but the rates are all about the haggle and unless you enjoy haggling it makes sense to go with a pre-arranged English speaking driver.

I have never been but I think the Mega Mart you are talking about is in French Harbor, where there is another Eldon's as well. French Harbor being the opposite direction from Mahongay Bay to Coxen Hole.