wifi at Coxen Hole port?

Bob7

• 3 weeks later...

Wifi is not available for free at any place I have found. There is a stand that sells wifi access. It is a kiosk between the two restaurants as soon as you get off the ship. I do not remember the specific but it seems I usually buy $10 worth which is maybe 30 minutes. The signal is not very strong and you may need to sit close t the kiosk. We use to always go to Captain Jacks, which is outside the compound to your left. You will see it sitting out over the water almost beneath the zip line. Last time we were there it was closed and for sale. Someone may have reopened it. Our last trip was in April.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back. The wifi kiosk is gone, and Paradise Computers that used to be there is gone. The restaurant up on the second floor of the pier shopping complex, down at the right end facing the ship, said they sometimes have it working ... it was not when we were there. Think you have to order a drink.

Went outside the pier to look around and got mobbed by hustlers and vendors, followed us continually trying to score a tour etc, finally just started asking for money, we put up with it for a block or so and when they didn't give up, we did, and went back to the pier, followed all the way. The street is run down, many empty places, not a cop in sight, bit unnerving.

Just got back. The wifi kiosk is gone, and Paradise Computers that used to be there is gone. The restaurant up on the second floor of the pier shopping complex, down at the right end facing the ship, said they sometimes have it working ... it was not when we were there. Think you have to order a drink.

Went outside the pier to look around and got mobbed by hustlers and vendors, followed us continually trying to score a tour etc, finally just started asking for money, we put up with it for a block or so and when they didn't give up, we did, and went back to the pier, followed all the way. The street is run down, many empty places, not a cop in sight, bit unnerving.

Third world countries are a challenge for some. Many of the locals on the island are very poor and only understand people who travel by cruise ship must have heaps of money. I find it interesting, I have been to Coxen Hole many times, not by ship but via mini bus from West End, never once had a single bit of trouble, never once felt anything other then kindness from the locals. There must be something about cruise ship guests that sets the locals off.

Part of the reason for the cruise complex is so those who are not comfortable in local places can stay within their comfort zone. Carnival built a huge cruise port on the island, complete with beach.

A private driver may have helped you feel better and taken you to West End where there are shops, restaurants/bars with wifi, heaps of expats from all of the world and Half Moon Bay Beach.